Advanced search

AIBU to just be lazy right now?

(12 Posts)
MrsCs Mon 16-Feb-15 12:13:29

I HATE being still generally (not that I get much opportunity with a toddler anyway). I am 35 weeks pregnant right now and have SPD and now a chest infection (great stuff lol).

Up until now I've been doing my best to stay quite active, baking with my toddler for example where we would have played games with running before. I've still been cleaning the house using supports to get around and doing small decorating tasks (such as sitting on a chair painting a window sill). I would have been at work but at 30 weeks the OH department assessed me and decided the damage from the SPD (had it in first pregnancy too) was too extensive and recommended I no longer work (GP agreed and provided sick note until week 36 when maternity kicks in).

I hate feeling useless, I hate that family are helping with my toddler when I can normally do it all, I hate leaving more of the house stuff for my husband. I was still balancing it mostly with the SPD but this chest infection has hit me like a truck. I had a cough for a couple of weeks (thought is was just a cold) then on Saturday could barely stand, focus or speak. Visit to the out of hours doc revealed my lungs are so congested that if my oxygen sats had been any lower I'd have been admitted. Instead I have antibiotics and instructions to rest.

Is is time to give in? Should I just accept I need to take it easy for a while? I'm so rubbish at relaxing, just feel cripplingly guilty about it.

TheCunnyFunt Mon 16-Feb-15 13:50:05

Yep, it's definitely time to STOP doing anything, you need to sit down, rest and concentrate on yourself. You're heavily pregnant which is knackering enough on its own, without a toddler, SPD and a chest infection thrown into the mix.

Slow down, relax and let everyone else take up the slack smile

Good luck with everything flowers

Aberchips Mon 16-Feb-15 14:17:54

No YANBU. Don't feel guilty about letting others take on stuff for you. You are heavily pregnant & not well, the time for being brave & soldiering on is well past. You need to rest & get yourself better for giving birth & looking after your newborn.
Take some time for yourself & also enjoy spending some quality time with your toddler now while you don't have the distraction of a small baby.
Get well soon flowers

FoulsomeAndMaggotwise Mon 16-Feb-15 14:52:57

39+1 here and feeling exactly the same. The last few weeks are awful, go easy on yourself. Your toddler won't remember a few weeks of slightly lazy parenting.

hijk Mon 16-Feb-15 15:18:09

YABVVVVU- Have you chopped the firewood yet? Or dug over the potatoes, or finished painting the roof? How dare you take time out for no reason what so ever, when there is work to be done, and no one else in the world capable of doing it.

Discopanda Mon 16-Feb-15 15:28:48

YANBU I'm finding my second pregnancy so much harder because I have DD to look after too. She's been having a lot of 'independent play' today. Just look after yourself, good luck with the rest of your pregnancy :-)

MrsCs Mon 16-Feb-15 21:01:32

Thank you all so much. I've always had this irritating compulsion to be occupied every second!! Chest infection is winning though, currently lay on the bed with my temperature soaring. I think it's time to admit defeat lol.

MrsMook Mon 16-Feb-15 21:15:19

I spent week 36 of DS1's pregnancy in bed due to the combination of SPD and a bad cold that left me aching and tender all over.

SPD makes everything hard, doing and resting. Fighting it makes it worse. Take it easy and look after yourself.

MrsCs Tue 17-Feb-15 03:51:37

Well that will be a lesson to me! Breathing got much worse, antibiotics failed. I have now been admitted to hospital with severe pneumonia, on bedrest and IV drip. Feeling a bit of a numpty really sad.

realgonekid84 Tue 17-Feb-15 04:29:06

hope you recover soon and god luck with the birth.

ithoughtofitfirst Tue 17-Feb-15 04:35:43

Oh my God take it easy OP brewcake

MrsCs Tue 17-Feb-15 04:57:43

Thank you all. Finally settled on the ward so going to attempt sleep x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now