Advanced search

to think someone tried to break into my house last night?

(22 Posts)
ahbollocks Sun 15-Feb-15 08:00:18

Woke up at 3 to a kind of shunting noise, waited a minute or so and it started again, luckily dh home so he went down all guns blazing. Noise stopped as soon as he flicked the lights on.
I'm just shitting myself a bit sad dh works away alot and I'm so worried about waking up to some stranger in the house, especially with having two little ones.
Dh gone to work at 6am and youngest has chicken pox so I cant get to the shops, not thay I know what I would be buying anyway.
Urgh sad

VivaLeBeaver Sun 15-Feb-15 08:03:28

Any sign of anything outside?

It's worth a non 999 call to the police and see if they have a community copper who can come and advise on home security. Sensor lights, etc might be an idea, bigger back gate?

Cornonthecob Sun 15-Feb-15 08:04:15

I would report this to your local police. My sister was burgled whilst they slept even took their car as car keys left out! Sorry not what you want to hear but this does happen!

SummerHouse Sun 15-Feb-15 08:12:32

In our police force area we have community safety officers who could advise you. Call 101 and see if they can help on that front but also to report what you heard. I read an article from a prolific offender once and he said he would never touch a house with a burglar alarm as it was not worth the risk.

A horrible thing for you to go through op. Hope you get some reassurance if you call 101.

tellmemore1982 Sun 15-Feb-15 08:16:24

If there was shouting I wouldn't suspect a planned break in, it would draw too much attention. It could have been drunk opportunists which would mean you have less to worry about in future, it won't happen again.

I agree, call 101 (please don't call 999, that's only for emergencies or when a crime is in progress) and they can tell you if anything happened or has happened recently that you need to be aware of.

Oh, and Poxclin for CP is fantastic!! Good luck.

tellmemore1982 Sun 15-Feb-15 08:20:41

Sorry op, I just realised I misread shunting for shouting. Have a look outside at anything you think could have made the noise - were there any windows open that someone could have been trying to access?

Then as before, ring 101

tellmemore1982 Sun 15-Feb-15 08:21:27

Sorry op, I just realised I misread shunting for shouting. Have a look outside at anything you think could have made the noise - were there any windows open that someone could have been trying to access?

Then as before, ring 101

DustBunnyFarmer Sun 15-Feb-15 08:24:35

Was the shunting them dragging a bench or garden table for access to top window? Check around outside to see if anything has been moved.

Tealady1983 Sun 15-Feb-15 08:27:27

Are your locks snap proof? Dm was broken into they snapped the lock off the door hmm

x2boys Sun 15-Feb-15 08:29:38

I caught somebody looking through my living room.window a couple of weeks ago are house is set back and has a driveway so he had to.purposefully come into the drive it was,10pm and dh was at work it really scared me but I think it was just an opportunist apparently they sometimes try doorhandles to see if any have been left unlocked.

ahbollocks Sun 15-Feb-15 08:38:33

The sound was a bit like the back door straining if you see what I mean but again and again. Will call 101 soon, df is coming round to give me a hand soon so will be able to think / have a look properly, toddler is clinging like a limpet this morning!

ahbollocks Sun 15-Feb-15 08:40:24

Have just has little look ans it looks like our wendy house ( plastic outdoor thing) has been dragged to middle of our garden :S

JiminyCricket Sun 15-Feb-15 08:40:26

Ok based on my experiences police here always very keen to hear about suspicious burglar type activity at the time it is happening, but do also inform them now on the non emergency number. They may be able to give you some security advice that is helpful to you (bolts and padlocks on garden gates can be useful if appropriate) but they also told us to get a dog which imo is not that helpful. They gave us uv pens to postcode mark our property. We have a couple of cheap gadgets that we like 1. A little buzzer thing that makes a noise when the back door or patio doors opens (just in case you have left the door unlocked or its during the day) about 10 pounds from diy store or Amazon 2. Some window alarms that go off with any significant vibration on all the windows at the back (about 20 pounds or less each). These give us a bit of peace of mind.

Appervine Sun 15-Feb-15 08:49:40

I had attempted break in once. They were very good and sent someone round to discuss security and advise on things that could be improved. He suggested a London Bar to give additional strength to the front door frame. They cost about £25.

Appervine Sun 15-Feb-15 08:50:12

They = the police, not the burglars!

Catsize Sun 15-Feb-15 08:52:14

I would report it. There may be fingerprints etc. Any screwdriver marks or anything on the door?

ahbollocks Sun 15-Feb-15 08:57:22

Ah thankyou jiminy and appervine. I will deffo have a look and speak to 101 soon as my dad gets here. Neighbours are lovely so will try and stick my head over wall later too. Wish I did have a big scary dog right now. Have a sulky old cat who was irritated at being disturbed but thats about it.

susiedaisy Sun 15-Feb-15 09:00:25

I would report it. It gives police a chance to alert the street to any activity. You might not be the only one. Every so often we have a spate of garage break ins in our street/estate and the police will let you know via a leaflet/poster,
or FB post or in the local rag etc if everyone is aware then it tends to put thieves off. We also have a police car that sits in a certain spot down the road periodically at night.

ajandjjmum Sun 15-Feb-15 09:04:00

Our local police text to say if there has been an incident in the area - if yours do the same, it could be useful to alert others to keep their eyes open, and houses secure!

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sun 15-Feb-15 09:07:08

We've been burgled, horrible fucking feeling knowing some twat has been through and taken your stuff.

Do report it.

ahbollocks Sun 15-Feb-15 13:53:53

Update -Phoned 101 and they came within the hour. Really lovely officers who checked all of my locks and gave lota of advice. They have been up and down the street making enquiries and have promised to have a pcso swing by a couple of times a day.
Said they woukd be quite pleased to have a new route smile live in very pretty area and they dont have a good reason to visit our neck of the woods normally.
Df has gone to b and q to get a few bits to put nobheads off trying again.
Thanks everyone for advice smile

TheIronGnome Sun 15-Feb-15 16:35:40

Have you got an alarm?? Worth doing, if only for peace of mind. A CCTV camera would do no harm either.

My parents house was burguled when I lived there- it was a horrible experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now