Talk

Advanced search

school nurse letter

(496 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

devonshiredumpling Sat 14-Feb-15 18:42:47

got a letter this morning rom the schoolnurse service to say that after being weighed my dd has been catergorised as severely overweight. we also got a leaflet saying that her diet could be better (she has at least seven portion of friut and veg) we also need to increase her activity level but since moving to the country we cannot get her out of the garden and off her bike ,she is tall for her age at 122.8 cm and she weighs 29.9kg but you cannot see any fat on her she is five .any help would be good aibu to feel peeved about this (she is five and half)

fredfredsausagehead1 Sat 14-Feb-15 18:47:02

That is pretty heavy

Do you think she's overweight?
Do you think she over eats?
Do you think she has and hour of exercise a day?

Are you peeved because she's overweight or because someone has brought it to your attention?

3littlebadgers Sat 14-Feb-15 18:51:16

I can understand your being upset but just under 30kg does sound heavy for 122.8 cm. my daughter, also 5 is 121 cm and 20kg and my ds2 is nearly 8 130 cm and 26kg. It might be her build? You say you can't see any fat on her, is she naturally muscular or stocky? Of the fruit and veg she is eating, is the higher proportion fruit or veg? Just because of the fruit being higher in natural sugars. If you are upset about it, it might be worth just having your health visitor look at her as a second opinion.

LadyLuck10 Sat 14-Feb-15 18:51:53

That is very overweight. You sound more upset at it being brought to your attention.

Babyroobs Sat 14-Feb-15 18:51:58

I had the same letter for my ds2 in year six( aged 11). I admit he was a bit chubby but soon after he had a growth spurt and now he is 14 and slim, so I think it was just pre-pubescent chubbiness. As long as your child is eating healthily and getting exercise that's a s much as you can do really.

devonshiredumpling Sat 14-Feb-15 18:52:48

she does not overeat she knows when she is full and we do not force feed her .she gets home at three forty and is out running around in the garden and on her bike until tea time at around five thirty so all boxes ticked

3littlebadgers Sat 14-Feb-15 18:54:03

Just a thought, plot it on the graph at her back of her red book. It should give you an idea of where she is and how it compares.

BMO Sat 14-Feb-15 18:54:11

Don't feel peeved, I'm sure it is upsetting news to read in black and white but you really need to take it on board for your DD's health.

As long as your child is eating healthily and getting exercise that's a s much as you can do really

I don't think this is really true to be honest. A child can eat really healthily but if they eat too much, they will be overweight.

MozzchopsThirty Sat 14-Feb-15 18:54:44

30kg at 5!!!!
I'm only 52kg and I'm nearly 40

EdSheeran Sat 14-Feb-15 18:57:18

YABU to feel peeved. Many parents are in denial about their child's size. 29 kilos at 5 years old is not small!

CaptainHolt Sat 14-Feb-15 18:58:40

I have recently had the letter for my Y6 child. He is 6 inches taller than your dd, and 6kg lighter. Admittedly he is slim, but he doesn't stand out as a short skinny kid and he has a lot of muscle (very sporty kid).

TheXxed Sat 14-Feb-15 19:00:01

Devonshire my sister was very tall for her age she was overweight and over tall her height peaked at 9 when she started her period. Please take the school letter seriously.

OddBoots Sat 14-Feb-15 19:00:26

It's not unusual to not be able to see the fat on your own child, a lot of parents are the same. At that height and weight your child is very overweight and needs you to help her. Could you visit your GP to be referred to someone who can help you both?

Choccybaby Sat 14-Feb-15 19:01:25

Sorry but she is overweight. Not a nice thing to be told maybe but best to accept and think what to do about it than stay in denial.
What are her portion sizes like? As a society I think we've forgotten what a normal portion is these days.
Is she having stuff with "hidden" calories like sugary drinks, fruit juice etc?
Could you replace some of the fruit with veg maybe?

redexpat Sat 14-Feb-15 19:02:05

Did you know she was overweight? That's why they have to send these letters because most people dont know what an overweight child looks like these days. They dont know what you feed her, that's why they sent the leaflet about balanced diets. There are some parents who give their chidlren a mars for breakfast. they have no way of knowing if you are one of these parents.

UncleT Sat 14-Feb-15 19:03:20

Her diet containing lots of fruit and veg doesn't mean she's not overeating or is having a truly balanced diet and. Definitely more info required on that front. And yes, I'm afraid those figures are overweight, even if she's pretty tall.

britnay Sat 14-Feb-15 19:04:29

That sounds like a lot. I'm 35cm taller than that. I was about 45kg from 16 until after I got married.

You need to take a serious look at her diet and portion size, both at home and at school.

EssexMummy123 Sat 14-Feb-15 19:04:51

Please get some professional help - if you do nothing then in a few years time she might get teased for being so overweight.

SuburbanRhonda Sat 14-Feb-15 19:05:42

I'm sure it's upsetting to get a letter like this and I'm sure you truly believe she doesn't overeat and does two hours of running around in the garden every day. But something must be contributing to her being overweight.

Could you start a food diary (not for her to see, just for you) and also log how much exercise she does at home? You may be surprised at how much she is eating when it's written down.

I would also ask for an appointment with the school nurse so you can get some individual advice, not just a general leaflet.

OhTheThingsYouCanThink Sat 14-Feb-15 19:06:55

Oh.. my DS(8) is 141 cm tall and 5st 6 lbs. He is athletic, you can see ever bone and muscle in his upper half. Would this be considered over-weight? I really don't think he is.

ChoudeBruxelles Sat 14-Feb-15 19:07:32

Ds is 8 nearly 9, 143cm and 31kg. Sorry but she sounds heavy. You should be able to see children's ribs

OddBoots Sat 14-Feb-15 19:09:21

OhTheThings - the NHS tools say your ds is a healthy weight.

pocketsized Sat 14-Feb-15 19:09:22

I'm 29 yo, 165 cm and (before I was 8m pregnant!) 55kg. I am not a rake thin person. Nearly 30kg at 5 does seem heavy in comparison.

TheRealAmandaClarke Sat 14-Feb-15 19:10:15

What advice dis they give with the letter?
Its very easy to be overweight these days. Really good that she is active. As a broad brush i suppose its worth reducing snacks, cutting back on sugar and looking at portion sizes. Good luck.

OhTheThingsYouCanThink Sat 14-Feb-15 19:11:02

Ignore me! Just done this, and DS is fine... www.nhs.uk/Livewell/healthy-living/Pages/height-weight-chart.aspx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: