Talk

Advanced search

To have told this woman in the supermarket she was rude

(36 Posts)
clockingoff Sat 14-Feb-15 17:54:32

A few of us were queueing up at the self service tills. Two of them were out of order and a woman in front of me with a little boy was grousing and giving out. She then went up to one of the tills and put her basket down while the person using it was still packing her bag. She looked a bit annoyed and reached over grousy woman to look for her receipt amongst the pile that had built up in the receipt slot. At which point the woman removed her basket with a sigh and said loudly 'could you be any slower' (the shopper had been going at a perfectly normal speed, hadn't needed authorisation for anything, or put anything 'unexpected' in the bagging area).
After the shopper was gone the woman rolled her eyes up to heaven and grimaced at me. I said 'actually, you were very rude. And setting your son a bad example'.

She gave me a filthy look. I was telling my mum and she said I should have kept out of it.
Feel bad now. WIBU to say something to this woman?

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Sat 14-Feb-15 17:56:30

She was rude. Well done for saying so!

arethereanyleftatall Sat 14-Feb-15 17:57:01

Ywnbu

MissDuke Sat 14-Feb-15 17:58:28

You did good!

CookieDoughKid Sat 14-Feb-15 17:58:43

No you did the right thing. She was well rude. Very poor manners

Justmuddlingalong Sat 14-Feb-15 17:58:49

Definitely an 'unexpected bag' in the bagging area. Well done you for saying something to her.

ChickyEgg Sat 14-Feb-15 17:59:47

You did the right thing! Its about time more people spoke up to be honest. Manners are disappearing sad

VeryVeryDarkGrey Sat 14-Feb-15 18:00:10

If she hadnt rolled her eyes and looked at you for validation you would have BU to say anything. as it is well done for telling her what you thought

AlpacaLypse Sat 14-Feb-15 18:00:34

yanbu. I've been known to tell litter droppers 'Excuse me, you dropped this' and dogwalkers who haven't picked up 'Oh, have you run out of bags, would you like one of mine?', but I've never had the guts to actually tell someone straight out they were being rude!

Pipbin Sat 14-Feb-15 18:01:23

You were fine. But what does little boy was grousing and giving out. mean? They aren't phrases I've heard before.

Nolim Sat 14-Feb-15 18:01:54

She was rude but you commenting on the example she is setting for her son was not nice.

SauvignonBlanche Sat 14-Feb-15 18:03:04

She looked for your opinion, she got it. YWNBU

Aridane Sat 14-Feb-15 18:04:21

YWBU

VeryVeryDarkGrey Sat 14-Feb-15 18:04:38

Grousing normally means whinging where i'm from. And since she was setting a bad example for the boy pointing that out is also NBU

BuzzardBird Sat 14-Feb-15 18:06:03

YANBU, waits to hear what 'grousing and giving out' means too.

BuzzardBird Sat 14-Feb-15 18:06:55

OH, nothing to do with shooting and sex then?

MooMaid Sat 14-Feb-15 18:08:55

I take grousing and giving out to mean whining and moaning? Perhaps bored?

Gruntfuttock Sat 14-Feb-15 18:08:57

Well done, OP, she deserved telling.

championnibbler Sat 14-Feb-15 18:13:24

"grousing and giving out" is irish slang for whining/moaning.
"giving out" can mean whining/moaning or it can mean to tell someone off....
depends on the context.

Fuckmath Sat 14-Feb-15 18:15:47

She was so rude! Yanbu.

I hate it when people put their things on the self service till when you're still using. A man did this to me in Tesco express and started getting aggressive to me for going slow, when I was going a normal speed!

GlassBaubles Sat 14-Feb-15 18:19:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

clockingoff Sat 14-Feb-15 18:23:59

Thanks for the responses.
Sorry I'm Irish - grousing and giving out means complaining and moaning.

TruJay Sat 14-Feb-15 18:24:55

Ywnbu
I'm obsessed at the moment with watching the American show "what would you do?" On YouTube at the moment. Its seeing how people will react in certain situations, some similar to the one u mention and others much worse. It's interesting to see what some people will ignore on there, I'm open mouthed sometimes.

diddl Sat 14-Feb-15 18:25:37

"Could you be any slower"

Oh what a shame the shopper didn't reply "yes" & come to a standstill!

Mushypeasandchipstogo Sat 14-Feb-15 19:01:16

YANBU. Incidentally I know what "Grousing and giving out " means and I'm English!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: