Advanced search

To think charging £5.50 a carton for children's milk

(19 Posts)
Flingingmelon Sat 14-Feb-15 11:17:59

Is bloody cheeky when it usually costs £1.39 in the supermarket, except Alpro are having problems supplying their Alpro Soya 1+ at the moment so I can't buy it anywhere else.

Currently giving my dairy intolerant son regular Alpro instead with vitamin drops but it's much more sugary than the special toddler one and he's refusing to drink the unsweetened one.

Anyone else in the same boat? What are you using as an alternative?

Flingingmelon Sat 14-Feb-15 11:22:42

And don't get me started on the various supermarkets that swear blind that they have it in stock and then when you get there, oops no we're out. Grr.

MrsBojingles Sat 14-Feb-15 11:28:11

I don't understand. Could you try one of the other "milks" for the time being? Alpro coconut is really nice.

HmmAnOxfordComma Sat 14-Feb-15 11:32:00

We use any supermarket own brand soya milk - ds has been on it for 12 years and it's not gone up in price in all that time - usually 59p a carton. He's always had unsweetened but they do sweetened versions too. Can you try those?

nousernamesleft Sat 14-Feb-15 11:39:57

We don't use soya milk anymore (son now intolerant to soyahmm) but is it worth trying a tin of formula instead? Wysoy used to be about 10 a tin, and lasted us about 10 days or so iirc, I'd just make up a jug full and shove it in the fridge. It's fairly sweet but not overly, and it's got all the vitamins and everything in.

DesperatelySeekingSanity Sat 14-Feb-15 11:47:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wheresthelight Sat 14-Feb-15 11:47:11

have you tried goats milk or even sheep's? I am lactose intolerant but am fine with goats milk and am advised that sheep's milk is meant to be hypoallergenic

Norfolkandchance1234 Sat 14-Feb-15 11:53:16

You can make your own almond milk. Just blitz almonds and water in a blender and ta da.

Norfolkandchance1234 Sat 14-Feb-15 11:54:13

dementedpixie Sat 14-Feb-15 11:55:27

They had the 1+ stuff in my local tesco the other day. Is there a shortage then?

dementedpixie Sat 14-Feb-15 11:57:09

Lactose intolerance is very much different to dairy allergy so goats milk would not be a viable alternative

Funkytown Sat 14-Feb-15 11:57:47

its still on sainsburys and telco online 3 for £3

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 14-Feb-15 12:00:56

koko is good and sometimes in tesco or sainsbury it's 3 for £3.

We switched from alpro 1+ to koko

Flingingmelon Sat 14-Feb-15 13:24:36

Thanks all.

A lot of the supermarkets claim to have it but Waitrose, Ocado, sainsburies and Asda have all let me buy it and then when the delivery turns up its not available and been substituted with the regular stuff. I'll try tesco.

We can't use any nut based one cos we have a nut allergy and the rice milk isn't suitable for under fives. He hated oat milk. Anyway I'll try coconut and I've apple juice in the fridge, that sounds like a really good idea.

We've still got some formula left over (he's 19mo), so if the worst come to the worst, thanks for the suggestion.

bobblewobble Sat 14-Feb-15 14:25:59

I still use the 1+ milk for my 4 year old and more often than not manage to get it in our local Tesco. I have also managed to get it from morrisons and asda before now.

strawberryblondebint Sat 14-Feb-15 14:30:21

We have noticed a shortage too here in Scotland. Dd2 won't drink anything else. What's the closest to it? I tried own brand sweetened and unsweetened and she refused it

Bessiebigpants Sat 14-Feb-15 16:44:44

Prescription from dietician maybe?
With so many allergies dietician input is probably a good idea.

Oodbrain Sat 14-Feb-15 17:08:30

I never use the 1+ , the usual one is fortified with vitamins etc and the dietician said that's fine. I'm also bf though.

WaxyBean Sat 14-Feb-15 19:20:41

Where are you? DS only has this on cereal now and we have 20 of these at home so happy to pass a couple your way if that would be helpful (we bulk buy from Ocado every couple of months as our local Tesco is always out of stock).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now