Advanced search

AIBU to call DP on his 'funny little ways'?

(55 Posts)
supersop60 Fri 13-Feb-15 21:03:02

My DP over the years has developed some funny little habits that in themselves are not bad, but added up actually cause me a lot of frustration and confused hmm and make me want to stab him
Today he burnt his toast for the millionth time. he put the bread in the toaster, and walked away. When he came back it had popped and gone cold, so he put it in again and walked away. When he came back it was burnt. Usually he swears a lot, puts it in the bin and starts again. Today it was the fault of the mysterious Mr Somebody who keeps changing the temperature dial. He got very cross when I said it was U of him to expect everyone to do their toast/bagels/etc at the same temp just because he couldn't be bothered to check it.
There are myriad similar things that he does; WIBU to call him on them when they occur?

Lazaretto Fri 13-Feb-15 21:06:16

You would be unreasonable but I would still probably do it...I couldn't resist. It amounts to unnecessary and futile nagging though!

SorchaN Fri 13-Feb-15 21:13:23

Surely everyone knows you can't take your eyes off bread in a toaster, even for a fraction of a second? If I pull a stunt like that the smoke alarm goes off.

supersop60 Fri 13-Feb-15 21:15:56

SorchaN you've reminded me of another one. Putting the smoke alarm next to the cooker, so it goes off everytime the grill is on, and then swearing at it when it does.

LannaBan Fri 13-Feb-15 21:40:30

Every time my DP gets undressed at night, he folds up his jeans and all his coins come rattling out on the laminate floor.

Why doesn't he just take the money out before? angry

RandomNPC Fri 13-Feb-15 21:50:58

He folds up his jeans? I'm going to get him drummed out of Man Club for that! LTB.

MsMcWoodle Fri 13-Feb-15 21:55:42

These things are why they invented wine.

Notso Fri 13-Feb-15 21:57:14

I hate people messing with the toaster temperature though. MIL turns it up full blast and wonders why everything burns.

DoJo Fri 13-Feb-15 21:57:31

You need to start leaving the toaster on the lightest setting to ensure that even two goes around won't toast it properly. Then, when you discover the second round waiting for him to return to it, switch it off at the plug so that when he tried to push it down again it won't stay down. Then turn it right up so that the next go burns it to a cinder no matter what.

A few goes of this and he might learn to stay in the same room as his toast. I call it domestic warfare, and after describing to my husband how I used to do it to my incredibly annoying house-mate, he has never needed any further incentive not to repeat the same mistakes.

Purplepoodle Fri 13-Feb-15 22:17:15

I do that with toast all the timegrin

Babiecakes11 Fri 13-Feb-15 23:08:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Suzannewithaplan Fri 13-Feb-15 23:20:28

I think gas lighting him with the toaster (as outlined by DoJo) is the best plangrin

infact, just gaslight him on all his funny little ways, and report back, we can turn it into an experiment in mind control behavior modification smile

Suzannewithaplan Fri 13-Feb-15 23:22:01

he will still drop his dirty clothes on the floor every night
spirit them away to some obscure location and when he finds them feign ignorancewink

UncleT Fri 13-Feb-15 23:27:41

Do you have any slightly irritating or illogical habits yourself? How long have you been together?

CalicoBlue Fri 13-Feb-15 23:40:57

Yanbu, I tell my DH for his annoying habits.

Never ever closing a cupboard door, in the kitchen, bedroom anywhere.
When making toast leaving the bread out, jam out with lid off, butter knife there and butter out - all for me to put away.
Never putting towel back on the towel rack - draping on the bed instead.

Though telling him off every day makes little difference. I live in hope though. There are some habits that I have managed to cure, so keep trying.

Jackw Fri 13-Feb-15 23:45:31

Hoover every night? We Hoover (actually Dyson) about once a month! Sorry, off-thread astonishment.

Lyinginwait888 Fri 13-Feb-15 23:47:03

Right I'm not normally up for a man bashing but get this...

Dh hung up some washing last night. I'd put it on earlier in the day.

Long story short: 9 cloths went in, he hung up 4. 5 were still in the bloody machine having an indulgent 2nd wash. I found them like some freaky magician when I was hanging up my dressing gown (wash following the cloth wash)

He lived alone for 15 years before I rocked up. I have no idea how he got by in life confused

Norland Fri 13-Feb-15 23:55:44

Pure gold. It's threads like this that prove men and women should live next door to each other and visit occasionally.

UncleT Fri 13-Feb-15 23:56:31

Hoover once a month? Yuck - that's grimey.

80schild Fri 13-Feb-15 23:57:52

LannaBan - I wonder if your DP also has the same habit as mine of practically stripping whilst going through security in airports.

First there is the loose change in his pocket, then there is the belt, and the watch and the mobile - trousers now hanging down to reveal pants. The whole process takes about 10 minutes. Inevitably, he always sets the machines off, which results in further de-robing of shoes before he gets frisked only to reveal an errant 5p in his pocket. It drives me mad how he then rushes the rest of us through including the chaotic 5 year old!

Fun thread.

seaoflove Sat 14-Feb-15 00:04:11

You know the dial on the toast isn't for temperature but for time? grin

seaoflove Sat 14-Feb-15 00:05:15

rustyrailings Sat 14-Feb-15 03:00:26

seaoflove proven to be not true apparently.

fragileFuckwit Sat 14-Feb-15 03:50:11

Mine forgets his keys DAILY, his phone at least once a week and his travel pass all the time. We've only been married six years though, so I still find many of his peccadilloes endearing, plus we're both too laid back to care really.

KatieKatie1980 Sat 14-Feb-15 06:13:42

Mine leaves cupboard doors open, the fridge open...drawers.

At first I thought maybe it was a poltergeist, but no..DH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now