Talk

Advanced search

AIBU after 30 years to want a decent anniversary present?

(11 Posts)
Dingbat Fri 13-Feb-15 20:36:55

I love him dearly but he has just given me an electric insect repeller. He said that it is to remind me of all the midges on our camping honeymoon in Scotland. Does anyone else get peculiar presents that are presented in this way?

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 13-Feb-15 20:38:49

I think that's quite sweet. He was thinking about you. I speak as someone who was given, for my first Valentine's, a massive, hand-made Batman card. DH is verr odd.

LindyHemming Fri 13-Feb-15 20:40:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AlfAlf Fri 13-Feb-15 20:42:41

Jaysus shock
Killing insects, what could possibly be more romantic? hmm

CointreauVersial Fri 13-Feb-15 20:43:07

I would find such a present charming as long as it were accompanied by something more traditionally "nice", such as a bunch of flowers. I know it's not about the presents, but it's lovely to feel appreciated.

AlfAlf Fri 13-Feb-15 20:44:22

Maybe it's a lead up to your real present, a trip to Thailand? Where you will need said insect repeller <hopeful>

Dingbat Fri 13-Feb-15 20:50:08

I forgot to say that it is four months late. I didn't just suffer from midges on honeymoon. Our wedding was in a little village on the Derbyshire moors and I kept getting daddy long legs between the layers of my dress. They worked their way up and then got stuck at the waistband. There are loads of photos of me with my dress pulled up and various people under my skirts trying to fish them out. Legs kept breaking off and being left behind.

shoopshoopsong Fri 13-Feb-15 21:02:54

That sounds like some great photos dingbat. My brother picked a snail off the train of my wedding dress. It was a nice sunny day and I wasn't gonna let a big white dress stop me from frolicking on the grass

RB68 Fri 13-Feb-15 21:04:18

Too funny - just smile and nick the credit card for a splurge on something selfish and lovely. At least you have some stories to tell :-)

I get odd things too and he gets upset that I don't "like" his presents much so asks me what I want and can't understand that that defeats the object of a present for me.

R

teenagersknowall Fri 13-Feb-15 21:50:13

oh dear OP. I have just read this out to my husband, who feels your DH was actually being very thoughtful. He says what a great guy! I agree he sounds very sweet. Can't stop laughing at the Daddylonglegs story. Sorry. My honeymoon, btw, was on a barge in Cheshire. Sigh. I'm not holding my breath for our 25th anniv! smile

HoundoftheBaskervilles Fri 13-Feb-15 22:18:02

I don't know, I find the whole concept of 'presents' within a marriage a bit strange, I buy what I want & need, presents are comical or meaningful. I wouldn't thank DH for buying me a massive diamond from communal funds.

Surely such tokens are only meaningful when there's a massive financial disparity within the relationship?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: