Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not give my doctor my DCs height and weight

(13 Posts)
18yearstooold Fri 13-Feb-15 19:53:41

Letter from GP asking me to record my children's height and weight and send them the information

Erm why?

I don't want my dds weighed

They are 11 & 13, 13 year old is obsessive about food, verging on too thin and probably wouldn't agree anyway -I do not want to be creating issues when their weights are fine my sister was anorexic so I'll admit now I may be overly touchy about this

Plus home scales (which i don't have) and me measuring them against the door frame is hardly going to be accurate is it!

Why do they want this and AIBU to refuse

fairgame Fri 13-Feb-15 19:57:18

It seems an odd request. I bet it's to work out their BMI but i though GP's just did this for adults and not children. Children have their BMI's done by the school nurse in year 6.
YABU. There is no point if, as you say, it won't be accurate and what is the point in upsetting your DDs just for the GPs targets?

SantanaLopez Fri 13-Feb-15 19:58:05

YANBU to refuse, YABU to sound so paranoid! Not a big deal.

Cantbelievethisishappening Fri 13-Feb-15 19:58:08

Monitoring childhood obesity?

ragged Fri 13-Feb-15 20:01:23

You should ring & ask them why they want the info.
I can think of dozen reasons that might or might not satisfy you, I work in public health.

WestEast Fri 13-Feb-15 20:02:09

It's for monitoring childhood obesity.
The data is used to change and plan local, regional and national service provision.

fairgame Fri 13-Feb-15 20:02:59

sorry YANBU god that was a bad typo!!

Mistigri Fri 13-Feb-15 21:07:35

You could just ignore it. I would - I have never owned scales and I have no intention of buying any now (I also have a 13 year old who is touchy about her weight).

Its unreasonable to ask for data without telling people how it will be used. And it's a bit bloody stupid to collect and record data using a method that is going to result in an unreliable data set anyway.

littlejohnnydory Fri 13-Feb-15 21:44:24

I would ignore. If they chase you, just say no.

TwoOddSocks Fri 13-Feb-15 22:02:45

I'd just give a rough guess for each unless you think it'll get back to the girls. In Germany my new Gyn. wanted this info - I didn't know it off hand so she just had me stand up and guessed. Presumably she could tell I wasn't excessively fat or thin so didn't care about accuracy.

jigsawlady Sat 14-Feb-15 15:29:12

I would guess and don't tell your girls.

Iamrandom Sat 14-Feb-15 15:45:06

They will need height and weight if ever prescribing medication for the children but, until that moment comes, it's only a request that you can choose to ignore or you could ask for further info as to what the data is for.

AcrossthePond55 Sat 14-Feb-15 19:04:02

If I responded at all, I'd probably just respond with 'height and weight are within normal limits' (assuming they are).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: