Talk

Advanced search

Minor AIBU - bus driving jumping a red light

(7 Posts)
Jollyjollysixpence Fri 13-Feb-15 16:21:25

I was just about to cross the road (lights had turned red, green man not green yet) and a bus went through the red light - it had turned red before he got to the cycle box, and he had just pulled away from a stop so wasn't going fast and therefore had plenty of time to stop. I don't know the exact time, so there wouldn't be a way to narrow it down to a specific driver, but WIBU to report it to the bus company and request they remind all drivers that they shouldn't jump lights? They'll probably just ignore me won't they?

CupidStuntSurvivor Fri 13-Feb-15 16:54:30

If there's no way of narrowing it down to a specific driver, they'll probably ignore you, yes. It would look horrendous if they had to train people in a driving profession about the rules of the road...if they don't trust that their drivers are already competent drivers, they shouldn't be letting them drive.

CupidStuntSurvivor Fri 13-Feb-15 16:56:23

Also, the lights turning red before he got to the cycle box doesn't really mean he had enough time to stop as he shouldn't be stopping in that box, hence the grace period before the green man shows.

Jollyjollysixpence Fri 13-Feb-15 17:37:17

Oh, I know he shouldn't stop in that box. I just wanted to show that he didn't go into the cycle box on amber and then it turn red just as he went through the stop line - it was red before he got to the first stop line, if you see what I mean. I'll probably leave it, to be honest.

laughingmyarseoff Fri 13-Feb-15 17:37:51

YWNBU to report it but I agree with Cupid that they may not know who the driver was or they may just ignore. That doesn't mean you shouldn't report though.

WowOoo Fri 13-Feb-15 17:46:10

I really wouldn't bother. Nothing came of it and no one was injured. If you had more details they would be able to act upon it, but as it is it's a waste of everyone's time.

But i do agree there are some dangerous drivers out there! Thank goodness you are a sensible person who knows to check and double check before crossing the road.

CupidStuntSurvivor Fri 13-Feb-15 17:46:41

Yeah, I get what you mean Jolly. Worth taking into account though that a bus's stopping distance is far greater than a car's. So really, if the driver (who is used to driving these buses) doesn't feel he can come to a complete stop before he got to the cycle box, he was right to continue through the red. I passed my driving test despite doing something similar and the examiner explained that stopping in the cycle box would have been an automatic fail in that situation.

Still, I of course didn't see the exact situation. If you're fairly certain he could have stopped, I'd be inclined to call the bus company with a rough time, location and if you managed to catch it, the bus number.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: