Talk

Advanced search

Charity collectors knocking at night

(43 Posts)
DextersMistress Thu 12-Feb-15 20:44:55

I've just (5 minutes ago) had them at the door. They were from save the children and asked if I had heard of their campaign. I politely told them it wasn't a good time, I'm in my pjs, it's pretty late and the dogs were barking so dc were likely to wake up.
One said 'you haven't got 2 minutes to possibly save a child's life?' I said again, not a good time. He gave me a sarcastic 'fine' and walked away.
Aibu to be pissed off at this? Or are they just doing their job?

PtolemysNeedle Thu 12-Feb-15 20:48:39

YANBU to be pissed off.

They are in part just doing their job, but I doubt it's in their job description to be rude. I hate that charities do this nowadays.

sunnydayinmay Thu 12-Feb-15 20:51:44

I hate this too. I don't even let them start to talk now - I just reckon that anyone who knocks on my door with a badge or clipboard is either selling/after a donation, so I just say sorry, I'm not interested.

alltheworld Thu 12-Feb-15 20:52:50

Can't believe it was Save the Children. They did the same to me when I had toddler and a newborn and PND and was living on my own.
Every single light in the house was off except the landing light as I was desperate to get the kids to stay asleep and it was 8pm. So from the outside it would have looked like either people were out or asleep and they still rang loudly.
I haven't donated since.

DextersMistress Thu 12-Feb-15 20:54:40

I don't mind so much during the day but after half 8 takes the piss I think. I have thought maybe they are volunteers who work during the day then do this for free at night? In which case I may be a bit U but still no need for the attitude.

sunnydayinmay Thu 12-Feb-15 20:55:22

DH hid from one this week, as he was only wearing his pants. After I'd shut the door, it dawned on me that they had UKIP colours on their badge/rosette things. DH was cross I hadn't let them try and convert me. grin

DextersMistress Thu 12-Feb-15 20:56:57

alltheworld there were loads of them banging loudly on all of the houses. All pretty young, maybe students. I Wouldn't be surprised if most of my neighbours ignored.

DextersMistress Thu 12-Feb-15 20:58:04

sunny grin
I'd have let the dogs out in that instance!

Loletta Thu 12-Feb-15 21:00:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DragonsDoHiccup Thu 12-Feb-15 21:06:41

We've just had Anthony Nolan which is a fantastic charity that I'm happy to support, but not at this time of night when I'm failing to get children to sleep

sunnydayinmay Thu 12-Feb-15 21:06:47

Dexters - if only we had dogs. smile I am quite cross I didn't get a chance to give them a grilling!

I also have lots to say to our Tory MP, but I have a feeling he won't come knocking. I answered the door in my bra last year and stood chatting for 5 mins before I realised. grin

DextersMistress Thu 12-Feb-15 21:07:03

A quick way to get rid without confrontation is to say you don't have a bank account, only a post office account. smile

myotherusernameisbetter Thu 12-Feb-15 21:15:07

YANBU. I've just had Cancer research at the door about half 8. I get it that they will be more likely to find people at home, but it's dark and imo too late to be strangers knocking at peoples doors - I don't do anything at the door - I do contribute to charity via my pay where my company enhances it etc so I said simply that I don't do anything like that on my doorstep. smaller guy opened his mouth to try to counteract what I was saying but bigger guy just said thanks anyway and pulled other bloke away.

I don't like answering the door when it's late but as I was sitting in the study with the window near the door, I couldn't pretend I wasn't in!

KingJoffreyObviouslyWatchesHol Thu 12-Feb-15 21:20:01

I don't give a single penny to charity now.

I won't until they all calm down.

Transporter Thu 12-Feb-15 21:20:27

I have a no cold callers/salesmen sign so, on the rare occasion when someone does knock, I just point at the sign, raise my eyebrows and close the door.

Mbo33 Thu 12-Feb-15 21:21:14

Yanbu, my neighbour had collapsed the other week ( ambulance outside the door) and two charity collectors still rang the doorbell........ Was blown away by their stupidity!

QueenFuri Thu 12-Feb-15 21:21:17

I hate anyone collecting for charity they are just rude. Last year DS2 and I were rushing through town in the rain Save the children try to stop me. I explained I was sorry I was in a hurry oh but its kids he said I igorned him he shouted he hoped my child never needed assistance as he doesn't deserve it I was shock. The other day in Asda the PDSA tried but I have currently lost my voice and feeling rubbish whispered ive lost my voice sorry oh but its for puppies walked away he said as I walked away you're well enough to go shopping what about yhe animals! Bastards I don't even answer the door to them now.

Discopanda Thu 12-Feb-15 21:22:26

YANBU, it's bad enough having to avoid the chuggers every two metres whenever I go to Sutton high street without them coming to your door too!

imip Thu 12-Feb-15 21:23:38

I say, straight off, I'm not interested in setting up a direct debit and they leave. It took me a long time to work that out. They just don't rebut once I say that....

Last week, Battersea Dogs' Home knocked twice in one day - very frustrating - I did get very cross.....

DextersMistress Thu 12-Feb-15 21:23:58

Same here, I'd just walked into the lit hallway so they have seen me. dc are crappy sleepers anyway so I wasn't risking it!
We get it a lot since moving here just over a year ago, that and at least 3 clothing collection bags posted per week. Must be a naice area grin

LaurieFairyCake Thu 12-Feb-15 21:25:40

I think after 8 it's too late.

I have a no cold callers sign on my door, only had 2 people knock in the last 6 months - really surprised how effective it is

blondiebonce Thu 12-Feb-15 21:28:54

Had Cancer Research knock on the door about 45 minutes ago, and I had headphones on so didn't know to jump up straight away. When I clicked and took them off I could hear them outside bitching to each other that I was obviously in, why the heck wasn't I opening the door?
Simply said to them "I don't do anything at the door, sorry".

Stampysladygarden Thu 12-Feb-15 21:29:45

I had one half an hour ago. He left pretty sharpish. I answered the door with a hockey stick. I didn't have a chance to tell him I was trying to turn the lights back on at the fuse box.

DextersMistress Thu 12-Feb-15 21:31:28

Might try that one next time stampy

Fruityb Thu 12-Feb-15 21:32:01

My front door used to go straight to my living room so when they battered on the front door, and they always battered, it used to frighten the crap out of me at night. I used to open the door and firmly tell them that when I donate to charity I'll go to them, they don't need to come and find me. At no point at 9 at night, and that happened, do I ever think "oh I do wish I could donate to charity right now!"

They're usually rude about it as well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: