Talk

Advanced search

in thinking there are to many charity pages being set up?

(9 Posts)
randycheeseburger Thu 12-Feb-15 16:28:32

Don't get me wrong if I have a spare couple of quid I am more than happy to donate to a special cause but some don't seem right to me, airport couple for e.g

DandyHighwayman Thu 12-Feb-15 16:29:20

?

randycheeseburger Thu 12-Feb-15 16:32:21

Just giving, go fund me etc

neme Thu 12-Feb-15 16:45:38

Just choose the ones that you trust will give the money to a cause you support.

I sort of know what you mean - the ease of giving can lead to scamming becoming more prevalent.

Sn00p4d Thu 12-Feb-15 18:25:21

I had some major suspicions about the dad from New Zealand with the mum from Armenia and the baby with DS. There was a LOT of money donated to his page, then your hear the mums side and the fact they're still together but planning to raise the baby in New Zealand hmm

I wouldn't donate to any of them personally, but I am a cynical cow.

GatoradeMeBitch Thu 12-Feb-15 18:42:38

I only donate to two causes that are close to my heart, and I will sponsor loved ones when they do fun runs, etc, if I feel like it. I ignore all the rest.

DancingHat Thu 12-Feb-15 19:24:30

Agree I was thinking the same thing myself the other day. Almost every news story seems to be accompanied by a go fund me page. I just don't donate to any of them; only support known charities and known people.

itsmeitscathy Thu 12-Feb-15 21:03:15

totally agree - it's getting a bit ridiculous. Call me a cynic, but I'll stick to donating to registered charities thanks.

DesmondTututoo Thu 12-Feb-15 22:01:55

I don't donate to anything like that unless I have insider knowledge that it is a good thing.

The thing is that I have some medical knowledge of certain things, and I know that almost all the fundraisers I have seen for those can be put into catagories:
1. Unnecessary, no medical evidence it helps
2. NHS will provide equivalent or as good anyway
3. (and this will sound mean) It's a last ditch attempt whichthe reason the NHS won't pay out is because they know that the chance of it making any difference is all but zero. I know that, as a parent you would do anything if it had any chance, but I think some places play on that-are happy to take the money knowing that but giving the parents false hope.

Personally I would like to see some sort of accreditation for such things. So the aim would be checked out to see if it's genuine and if medically it is a reasonable option. People can put so much effort into fundraising, particularly for the cute child, and there has been at least a couple that I've felt the fundraising tipped over into obtaining money by deception.

But here is a charity that should be close to MN's hearts. I got sent this on fb a few days ago. When the fund opens I'm sure you will all be queueing up to donate: wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO7AJnk3cSk

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: