Talk

Advanced search

to think statutory sick pay is a bit crap

(21 Posts)
magrate Thu 12-Feb-15 10:07:53

I used to get 3 sick pay days a year. Now its just SSP, so I think I get nothing unless I'm off for a week. Then get about a tenner a day.

Trapper Thu 12-Feb-15 10:11:04

Better than nothing smile

InfinitySeven Thu 12-Feb-15 10:13:09

There is business methodology behind this - companies that offer X amount of paid days see far more people take time off than those that just offer SSP, or a large amount of paid sick (6 months plus). Although you'd hope companies would offer more, most offer less instead!

You get paid after day 3 for SSP, though, so you'll have three days unpaid and then however much time you're off. Slightly better than a week unpaid!

mushypeasontoast Thu 12-Feb-15 10:17:51

It could be worse. I have had time of sick due to bullying. My employer didnt even pay me ssp, I feel a court date is going to be needed.

magrate Thu 12-Feb-15 10:47:17

Oh gosh peas that sounds awful flowers

Anyway not trying to turn this into worse conditions trumping, I only had two days sick last year. This year will probably come in all these times unless can't move, probably wouldn't be productive and would spread germs.

Babyroobs Thu 12-Feb-15 11:00:13

The company I work for gives generous paid sick leave ( 6 months full pay then 6 months half pay). And yes people do take advantage taking time off sick when their kids / relatives are ill ( despite there being generous annual leave of 7+ weeks a year and also parental leave options). Also when off for months at a time they continue to accrue holidays which they then take the minute they get back, after an extended period of ' phased return ' of course. Even people who work just 2 or 3 days a week come back on phased return of a few hours a day for weeks on end. I've never known anything like it. Compared to my dh's company where the sickness rate is virtually zero and he felt he couldn't even take a week off when his mum died. we have it very good where I work.

Smokedsalmonbagel Thu 12-Feb-15 12:22:49

I'm off sick at the mo and not entitled to SSP as I don't earn enough. Now that's annoying!

PtolemysNeedle Thu 12-Feb-15 12:27:13

I work in the public sector and was only allowed three days compassionate leave when my husband died unexpectedly, so had to go onto sick pay.

I was disgusted by the unfairness of the whole thing tbh, it wouldn't have been so bad to be refused compassionate leave if SSP was a decent rate, but it isn't.

puzzledemployer Thu 12-Feb-15 12:57:34

It is a bit crap, but not quite as crap as you say. You get it from the fourth day of sickness onwards (and the non paid days include weekends/days you don't work). And it's 87.55 a week, which is 17.51 a day.

We used to pay full pack for sickness but had to change a few years ago as some people were taking the piss. It's a shame for those who were being genuine, but we have to have the same rule for all.

Preciousbane Thu 12-Feb-15 13:02:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OldBeanbagz Thu 12-Feb-15 13:06:21

It's a bit crap but spare a thought for all the small buiness owners who have to pay SSP to employees and then pay someone to cover the work.

mildlyacquiescent Thu 12-Feb-15 13:07:27

No sick pay of any kind where I work.

Oddly enough, I think it probably makes me feel less guilty when I need to take a day off for whatever reason. At least I'm not defrauding the ungenerous bastards.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Thu 12-Feb-15 13:10:11

I've only ever claimed it once (touch wood). They didn't pay it for a few weeks, then paid it all at once and I thought it was a week's worth. Nope. I still had to pay nursery fees, bills and food so got into debt. It's shit.

hereandtherex Thu 12-Feb-15 15:04:58

Babyroobs. Can i ask where you work? That sounds great!

ilovechristmas1 Thu 12-Feb-15 16:49:49

its well known that places of work that have a generous scheme do get taken advantage of,cant remember where i read but years ago the police force/civil servants were well known for the highest days of sickness compared to other organisations

my brother works for a council and gets generous sick leave and other benefits for working for them,thats one of the reasons he works for them

may be differrent for other councils/civil servants

SnowWhiteAteTheApple Thu 12-Feb-15 16:54:27

Full sick pay leads to people taking time off at the drop of a hat, SSP is less taken advantage of I would imagine so can see why employers opt for that.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Thu 12-Feb-15 17:13:40

I've just checked my contract (newish employer) and I get 20 days at full pay per year, which is fab. I'd imagine they wouldn't be too impressed if people took the day off sick at the drop of a hat and it would be noted.

Viviennemary Thu 12-Feb-15 17:16:23

So many people taking advantage of generous terms have made companies withdraw them. So the few workshy people have an impact on the many. It's unfair but that's the reason.

LaLyra Thu 12-Feb-15 17:27:20

SSP is a bit crap, but it's better than nothing.

DH's work is in the midst of changing lots of their policies. New starts get nothing like what he and his colleagues get because people just take the piss. They get full pay for 6 months and half pay for 6 months. They also don't count single days taken before that towards the year. People only have to be back for 6 months before they are entitled to full pay again. One of the reasons they are changing is because their maternity pay policy is also generous (6 months full pay, 3 months half pay). They had that to entice staff into coming back to work after having a baby rather than retraining people, but what happens now more often than not is they get 6 months full pay, couple of months of half pay, come back for a couple of weeks then get signed off sick. It's a shame because it spoils it for the people that really need it. My friend who is one of DH's colleagues had an awful pregnancy, ill health and a poorly baby and had 18 months off and they were brilliant with her, but too many pisstakers are spoiling it.

elliejjtiny Thu 12-Feb-15 17:42:49

I feel your pain. DH has been off 6 months because of work related stress. 6 months of SSP is miserable, I hate being skint all the time.

nottheOP Thu 12-Feb-15 17:49:12

My work has a 2 tier system of 3 days per year for self cert illnesses or 3 months if you break your leg, get cancer etc. You can get paid more if the senior partner is in a good mood and you're one of his favourites. Nice and fair that is.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: