Talk

Advanced search

to worry that 50 shades will lead to more sexual violence

(119 Posts)
magrate Thu 12-Feb-15 09:40:00

I haven't read the whole book, did find it poorly written and comical. However s and m in something so mainstream just doesn't sit right with me. Seems a step backwards.

MissDuke Thu 12-Feb-15 09:45:37

Do you think that action films increase the rates of violence? There is already a thread on this btw.

Trapper Thu 12-Feb-15 09:46:09

Good point. I remember when Frozen was released. Suddenly it seemed as if everyone wanted to build a snowman! I take that as clear evidence that people are unable to think rationally and understand the difference between entertainment and reality. Cinemas should be closed forthwith.

TwoOddSocks Thu 12-Feb-15 09:54:10

I don't think there's anything wrong with S and M, I don't really care if it's "mainstream" or not (I don't really care either way about other people's sex lives). From what I've read (I promise smile) I think the S and M community are very big on consent and making sure both parties are happy at all times. I thought they were mainly very against the book because it showed what they're into as abusive.

I think the vast majority of men understand the need for consent etc but there are definitely a minority (probably of women too) usually not very socially aware who think they have to be assertive to attract women and we secretly all want to be dominated. I think there should be a strong voice countering the kind of relationship that's portrayed in that book.

JohnFarleysRuskin Thu 12-Feb-15 10:00:27

The front page of the Times yesterday was 'Almost half of teenage girls coerced into sex acts'. 2/5ths suffer pressure or violence.

Do I think one film changes behaviors massively? No.
Do I think it will contribute to a drip-drip message kids are getting that women don't know their own minds and/or are up for it all the time.

JohnFarleysRuskin Thu 12-Feb-15 10:00:52

I forgot to answer my own question!
Yes, I do.

pineappleshortbread Thu 12-Feb-15 10:05:27

This has already been down BTW and yabu. Plus to link S & M to general violence is a little offence people who practice bdsm do so with consent

Queenlizandabottleofgin Thu 12-Feb-15 10:07:03

I bought the book at the airport before a flight at the insistence of a friend. I read about a quarter before I bined it. It's shit. It's repeatative and badly written.

I don't think it's going to encourage DV but I do think if sexual violence is happening it could normalise it.

Who the fuck wants to get fisted? hmm

JohnFarleysRuskin Thu 12-Feb-15 10:15:49

I do think if sexual violence is happening it could normalise it.

I agree.

kittentwo Thu 12-Feb-15 10:16:04

as the french have given it at 12 certificate can't help but think people in this country like to get there knickers in a twist over nothing. Of course it won't lead to an increase in violence utter nonsense

pineappleshortbread Thu 12-Feb-15 10:16:47

Maybe but it probably won't cause those who wouldn't be sexually violent to suddenly decide to do it

QueenLiz there is no fisting in 50sog, have you read it?

pineappleshortbread Thu 12-Feb-15 10:19:20

Good point there isn't any fisting ha I hadn't even picked up on that grin

Queenlizandabottleofgin Thu 12-Feb-15 10:19:39

Yes I did about two years ago , wasn't it on the list of things she had to sign off on? If though she didn't sign it it was still expected ...

Queenlizandabottleofgin Thu 12-Feb-15 10:20:24

And as I stated I didn't read it all because it was shit. Cheap thrill for bored house wives ...

Queenlizandabottleofgin Thu 12-Feb-15 10:20:45

Even though*

pineappleshortbread Thu 12-Feb-15 10:21:06

It may have been mentioned as a word but never done plus fisting isn't sexual violence on its own just like bdsm and s and m aren't sexual violence on their own. It is only violence when there is no consent

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 12-Feb-15 10:23:16

YABU.

Queenlizandabottleofgin Thu 12-Feb-15 10:29:43

I never said fisting was sexual violence on its own. The whole bloody book is about it.

MephistophelesApprentice Thu 12-Feb-15 10:29:58

Increased portrayal of sexual activity in media correlates with lowered incidences of sexual violence within society.

So you read one quarter of one book in a trilogy? And now you assume it's all fisting and violence. I think to an express a measured view it's handy to read the entire book. hmm

Queenlizandabottleofgin Thu 12-Feb-15 10:33:53

He has angry anal sex with her then leaves her crying.... Yep sounds like consent was given there...

And I'm sure he damaged her ribs but I could be wrong. It's unplesent and that's why I couldn't be arsed finishing it off, people that get off on that or romanticise it need to get out more.

Queenlizandabottleofgin Thu 12-Feb-15 10:38:11

james reading the whole book did not interest me one bit. I got the measure of the book rather quickly. Do I care about s bloke that has ordered that his submissive not look him in the eye while he is fucking her.. No sorry I dont. I don't need to read two, three books in to find out all he really is a messed up abused little boy and wait for his softer side to come out.

grin Ah well, your loss.

Queenlizandabottleofgin Thu 12-Feb-15 10:45:06

ah well your loss - hardly.

If Christian Grey was a Bin Man, had teeth missing and a bald patch and give that list to his new girl friend and was that sexually agree dive he would be locked up and called a pervert. But because he is a billionaire and handsome - it's sexy and romantic confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: