Talk

Advanced search

to think people shouldn't ask you if you're pregnant until you're the size of a house?

(44 Posts)
printmeanicephoto Wed 11-Feb-15 15:00:23

Have been asked twice today by different people. I'm not pregnant and had my youngest 7 years ago. Ok, to be fair I do look in the v early stages - maybe 2 or 3 months gone but am a size 10 so I guess my spare tyre does show a bit. Then I was referred to as "apple shaped" by one lady. Great!!! I just think people should be really, really sure before they ask - ie there needs to be a full football sized protrusion!! Too much possibility of upsetting someone imo. People just don't think before they speak do they?

Branleuse Wed 11-Feb-15 15:02:15

someone asked me if i was pregnant last year. Im not. I just told them im not. Didnt bother me particularly. Was probably just my posture and the fact ive had 3 kids.

A few years ago it would have sent me into self hatred and despair, but now i dgaf what they think really

EatShitDerek Wed 11-Feb-15 15:03:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bettybodybooboo Wed 11-Feb-15 15:04:29

Agree how bloody rude op.

BehindEveryCloud Wed 11-Feb-15 15:04:35

Awwww flowers

No, YANBU! I've been asked if I'm "pregnant again"... No, I'm not. My DS is 9 months and I haven't lost the pregnancy weight so leave me alone!

Btw, I'd gladly trade being a size 10 with an early pregnancy belly with my current jelly mould shape!

kittentwo Wed 11-Feb-15 15:04:46

Has happened to me too. Yes I agree should wait until completely obvious has happened to me when I've been fat and when I weighed my lightest ever just have no hips or waist and a sticky out tummy. Ho hum.

Bettybodybooboo Wed 11-Feb-15 15:05:48

As long as you arnt a midwife EatShit grin that may not inspire confidence.

Comito Wed 11-Feb-15 15:06:05

I wish people would think first too.

Someone asked me last year and I was mortified and really upset. I knew I'd gained weight but was very sensitive about it. Someone asking if you're pregnant when you're not basically just screams 'you're fat'.

BehindEveryCloud Wed 11-Feb-15 15:06:05

grin agreed EatShitDerek!

EatShitDerek Wed 11-Feb-15 15:06:48

Pantone363 Wed 11-Feb-15 15:08:00

I'm 30 weeks pregnant and the size of a house.

I take great delight in glaring at anyone who asks when the baby is due and ask them "what baby?"grin

EatShitDerek Wed 11-Feb-15 15:10:18

heartisaspade Wed 11-Feb-15 15:11:39

SuasSios Wed 11-Feb-15 15:13:06

Overheard a woman asking DH when our baby was due. He looked suitably hmm and I vowed to bin my voluminous maxi dress (which tbf did make me look like a comfy sofa)

I am fat all over, I am under no illusions about that, but as someone who is TTC, it was a bit of a punch in the (fat) face.

GlitzAndGigglesx Wed 11-Feb-15 15:20:14

I've never been asked when I haven't been pg but was asked with my first and couldn't help but say "no I'm not". I was 34 weeks in a big coat and the woman's face just dropped. I felt a bit bad so had to explain I was joking

HatieKokpins Wed 11-Feb-15 15:23:01

I just take the seat on the tube whether I'm pregnant or not, frankly.

Mulligrubs Wed 11-Feb-15 15:25:31

Yep, unless I was to actually see a baby pop out of someone's vagina I wouldn't ask/mention pregnancy unless they had told me about it. You just never ask unless they mention it!

TheListingAttic Wed 11-Feb-15 15:27:09

I am apple-shaped, so I look like I'm just starting to show all the bloody time - although I'm not pregnant, and never have been.

Yanbu. People shouldn't ask if there's any room for doubt whatsoever!

Cobain Wed 11-Feb-15 15:29:46

I gave my train seat up for what I thought was a heavily pregnant women, she went ballistic and stormed off. The guy sat next to me was thanking me as he was about to do the same and I had saved him from an earful. Now I just look at my own shoes unless the rub their belly and even then I am sheepish.

chunkymars Wed 11-Feb-15 15:36:57

I've been asked a few times lately. I don't find it offensive. I'm not pg but I have a fibroid the size of a six-month fetus so I do look pg (quite slim in other places), and several occasions were on public transport where I'm sure I would have been offered a seat if I had said yes (it did cross my mind as it would have been nice to sit down!). Others were friends who I'm sure would have congratulated me. I'm just a bit bemused by it, but I don't get why I should feel upset about it.

Behindthepaintedgarden Wed 11-Feb-15 15:37:01

I used to suffer from fibroids which caused my stomach to swell and, because I was slim everywhere else, I was constantly being asked when I was due and being offered seats on the bus. It used to really upset me and I never ever assume anyone's pregnant unless they tell me.

YANBU.

LadyLuck10 Wed 11-Feb-15 15:39:44

If you do look pregnant then why would someone not ask if you are?

Behindthepaintedgarden Wed 11-Feb-15 15:58:43

Because it's tactless. There's always a chance the person has just put on weight, has a tummy that's out of proportion to the rest of them, has fibroids etc etc etc

printmeanicephoto Wed 11-Feb-15 16:07:29

Lady luck - because if they're not pregnant then you're basically just calling someone fat. It's just tackless unless you're really sure.

GlitzAndGigglesx Wed 11-Feb-15 17:53:59

Cobain I think this is why many women wear the baby on board badges - to avoid situations like yours grin. I did once suspect a woman was pregnant but didn't want to offer my seat just in case but she got all huffy with everyone because no one got up for her

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: