Advanced search

To not much care about the rest of the world but care deeply about the UK

(140 Posts)
CatieBlanket Wed 11-Feb-15 08:35:49

It's a mess out there, always has been and, let's be honest, always will be. When we intervene we tend to make things worse (Afghanistan, Iraq to name but two). The new governments end us as corrupt as the ones that were overthrown. Aid money is, on the whole, squandered. Billions of £ & $ & € of it

A significant minority of men just love to kill indiscriminately. The others love to oppress women.

The situation in the Middle East is unsolvable and the poverty in African too vast for us to deal with.

I'm actually becoming immune to hearing about hostages being beheaded and suspect many of us are, hence ISIS new method of murder by immolation.

So let's concentrate on righting the wrongs of our island. Sort out the NHS, get people into work, look after the vulnerable, stop domestic violence and child abuse, build decent housing for people who live here?

AIBU (Labour supporter, by the way before, anyone accuses me of being UKIP)

icklekid Wed 11-Feb-15 08:41:46

So in the face of injustice, genocide, poverty and other horrors we should just give up because it is too hard? Personally yes I think UABU

icklekid Wed 11-Feb-15 08:42:02

PaleoRules Wed 11-Feb-15 08:43:46

Don't know where to start but YADBU.

GokTwo Wed 11-Feb-15 08:44:04

It is overwhelming and terrifying sometimes and there are many problems in the UK too but I don'the think I could ever shut myself off from it.

OrangeMochaFrappucino Wed 11-Feb-15 08:45:04

Some money might get squandered, some intervention may backfire. But lives are saved, conditions are improved, health is better in many places. I read that vaccination rates in parts of Africa now are higher than in North America, that means children are not dying of preventable diseases like measles because of western aid.

No matter how many people ISIL behead, I really won't become immune to it. It's just as horrifying every time. There was a huge rescue operation last summer where they had thousands of men, women and children stranded on a mountain. Our government coordinated with others to prevent a huge massacre. Lives were saved. We haven't solved the overall problem but that a thousands of people who weren't slaughtered.

We make a difference. We don't solve every problem, we create others but we do help. Read the George Monbiot article in the Guardian yesterday explaining why America refusing to operate money transfers to Somalia in order to avoid money falling into the hands of terrorists will actually lead to the deaths of thousands of Somalians due to poverty.

In short, YABVU.

engeika Wed 11-Feb-15 08:48:51

I understand the feeling that it is all impossible and unsolvable but we cannot ignore the rest of the world and we do not live in isolation.

Many of the problems that you mention as being UK problems are in fact directly influenced by the situation in other parts of the world.

Immigration affects housing and NHS usage. People mostly immigrate to the UK to find something better. Lack of manufacturing jobs is partly due to the fact that work can be done elsewhere much more cheaply. That is two very simple things, (overly simple really), that impact on the sort of problems that you think we should be sorting out here.

ghostyslovesheep Wed 11-Feb-15 08:49:55

YABU and also unfair to men

ohmychrist Wed 11-Feb-15 08:49:58

Utter rubbish. YAB extremely U, self-centred and utterly pathetic.

ghostyslovesheep Wed 11-Feb-15 08:51:52

Also you are ignoring the fact that we caused a lot of the poverty and conflict historically - we don't get to walk away

Nolim Wed 11-Feb-15 08:52:23

Yes lets forget the rest of the planet. It is not as we have to interact with them at all.

Theoretician Wed 11-Feb-15 08:53:57

AIBU (Labour supporter, by the way before, anyone accuses me of being UKIP)

I've always thought that left-winger's policies were completely dependent on borders being drawn in the right place, i.e. that UK lefties would no longer advocate the policies they do if borders were redrawn so that statistics redefined the majority of the UK population as the evil rich, who needed money taking off them to improve the lot of those poor people in farawayland.

As one of the evil rich, even with the borders as they now are, I'd rather be allowed to keep my own money, but if I can't, I think it would do more good in Africa than the UK. Yes abolishing UK benefits (and maybe the NHS and maybe free state education for children) would cause a huge amount of suffering in the UK, but it's fairly obvious economics that the same amount of money spent in Africa could alleviate an even greater amount of suffering, so that is "what Jesus would do", and therefore presumably what non-evil people who vote for left-wing parties should also want to do.

Reekypear Wed 11-Feb-15 08:57:47

I don't think YABU.

We are in doom overload.

What can you actually do, really do for faraway places.

Worrying achieves nothing.

What you can do is affect change in your local community. By whatever means you can.

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Wed 11-Feb-15 08:58:14

the UK does not exist in isolation.

When you say you don't care, do you actually mean that? That you hear about massacres, about women and children being raped, beaten and killed, about natural disasters that kill people and destroy homes and livelihoods, about people dying of thirst or hunger... and you shrug and say ah, fuck em, I don't care, people who have to wait 8 weeks for a free at the point of use hospital appointment have my only sympathies

And what about the fact that you can track back to the UK a not inconsiderable amount of shit people in other parts of the world suffer?

I wasn't aware that it was an either/or situation. That in order to care about what happens in the UK and want to change those things that need changing, you have to stop giving even a tiny fuck about people who are going through things that nobody in this country will ever have to come close to experiencing.

fredfredgeorgejnr Wed 11-Feb-15 09:02:28

Yes, YABU, there's absolutely no reason for you to feel more empathy for a random stranger hundreds of miles away as a random stranger thousands of miles away other than you being a bigot.

MatildaTheCat Wed 11-Feb-15 09:08:42

Unreasonable?hmm I think there are other words that cover your views more accurately.

I wonder if, very honestly, you would still be disturbed by a disaster or act of terrorism in a country close to home?

fattymcfatfat Wed 11-Feb-15 09:14:31

I agree to an extent. I think more of that money should be spent here to help us first but we cant just ignore what is happening in the rest of the world! of course we should help! do you think there would be conflict between isreal and palestine over gaza if we hadnt told both countries they could have it?....or if you go on holiday, and something awful happens, earthquake, flood uk doesnt help because it doesn't comcern us? really? I think in a situation like that you would be glad of the aid we send overseas.

magimedi Wed 11-Feb-15 09:18:07

"No Man is an Island

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. "

John Donne 1624

NancyRaygun Wed 11-Feb-15 09:24:10

What a stupid post OP.

PtolemysNeedle Wed 11-Feb-15 09:27:09

YANBU, because you can care the most about whatever you want to care about the most.

I care more about certain situations in this country than I do others, and i care about certain foreign countries more than I do others. It's all personal choice. YABU if you're trying to suggest that everyone else should feel the same as you. Personally I care more about poverty overseas than I do about poverty in this country, but until I have the power to actually change anything, it makes no difference either way.

Greysanderson Wed 11-Feb-15 09:27:46

Why is a stranger closer to home any different from a stranger abroad?

Besides a lot of these countries problems were created by us and exacerbated by our continued exploitation for their resources.

elQuintoConyo Wed 11-Feb-15 09:28:42

Did I really just read doom overload ? Just as bad as that 90s expression 'famine fatigue'.

Disgusting point of view. Disgusting thread.

SconeEater Wed 11-Feb-15 09:31:56

magimedi I'd been thinking of that.

There are positive things in the news too.

Guinea worm nearly eradicated. Polio programme is nearly there. The work in public health put in by Nigeria for polio eradication helped them to trace contacts and contain their Ebola outbreak. Ebola vaccine fast tracked due to companies and health agencies working collaboratively.

As for the use of aid being not useful to those living in the UK : diseases such as Ebola know no borders!

I would agree that it's not effective to worry where you can have no effect on an outcome and it may be wiser to "pick your battles" as it were. Logical Bill Gates is spending his fortune on the basic child health programmes.

And yes to making your own community a better place.

OTheHugeManatee Wed 11-Feb-15 09:33:06

Yes, YABU, there's absolutely no reason for you to feel more empathy for a random stranger hundreds of miles away as a random stranger thousands of miles away other than you being a bigot.

Actually that's debatable. Plenty of political theory is based on the notion that there needs to be a demos - a group of people who feel a sense of fellowship based on common traits or priorities - in order for there to be any functioning political order at all.

There is good evidence showing that support for redistributive taxation and a welfare state decreases as population diversity increases. In other words, people are happy to contribute to a welfare state supporting more vulnerable members of society - providing there is some perception that those people are 'like me' and not just random strangers. So by all means distribute your empathy equally between the people thousands of miles away and the people hundreds of miles away, but be aware that most people aren't actually like that except in student politics la la land.

TheXxed Wed 11-Feb-15 09:34:00

Errrmm is someone going to mention colonialism.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now