Talk

Advanced search

To ask for suggestions for a fab place to eat in NYC

(63 Posts)
Bearbehind Tue 10-Feb-15 19:42:39

I'm going to New York next month for DH's birthday and want to find a really nice restaurant.

There are so many on Tripadvisor I don't know where to start.

We don't want a mega fancy Michelin star place but somewhere with fab food and a great all round 'experience'

Any suggestions gratefully received.

SaucyJack Tue 10-Feb-15 19:44:37

Never been there, but go and have a cronut on my behalf for starters.

maddening Tue 10-Feb-15 19:48:48

Haven't been but people rave about serendipities - more of a cafe by Bloomingdales but apparently fab.

You could watch a man v food nyc episode also for ideas of where New Yorkers go,

DefinitelyNotElsa Tue 10-Feb-15 19:48:51

I loved Les Halles. I went to the Park Ave one (there's two). Food was beautiful, had a wonderful atmosphere and the service was spot on.

Mrsj70 Tue 10-Feb-15 20:09:06

Johns Pizzaria just off times square. Best pasta I've ever had! Converted church with map of manhattan drawn on the wall. Been twice, both times had busy, buzzy atmosphere. I loved it and I'm not jealous honest ;)

Bearbehind Tue 10-Feb-15 20:20:54

Thanks for the replies, Les Halles is looking good!

frankie001 Tue 10-Feb-15 20:20:59

Ellen's stardust diner!

nooyearnooname Tue 10-Feb-15 20:22:57

For my 40th we ate at the Modern, next door to MOMA...it was expensive but not extortionate and we thought it was really good value as they gave you so many little intermediate courses as well as what you'd ordered. Food and service were both excellent, and we spent all evening cooing over the lovely clever presentation of the dishes. It was one of those nights where it felt more like we'd had an 'experience' than just another meal in another restaurant IYKWIM? Well worth the money.

www.themodernnyc.com/

It's also where Carrie told the other SATC girls about her engagement to Big!

Fluffyears Tue 10-Feb-15 20:25:26

Was there last week, wish I was still there. Angelo's pizza is a lovely italian next to CBS David letterman studio or ruby Tuesday on times square did an amazing steak. Steer clear of planet Hollywood. Worst meal ever with a waiter who was in
Our face constantly.

Belindabelle Tue 10-Feb-15 20:29:28

The Loeb Boathouse
Tavern on the Green
Grand Central Oyster Bar
The River Cafe

For low key great food try the burger bar at le Parker Meridien or Angelos Pizza both on W57th.

Guyropes Tue 10-Feb-15 20:31:26

Yabu.

This section is for asking people's opinions on debateable topics. Please stop cluttering it up. This thread could have gone in the travel or the food section, or even just in chat.

fishybits Tue 10-Feb-15 20:31:58

Blue Hill
Quality Meats

cathyandclaire Tue 10-Feb-15 20:32:54

For grill/brasserie fayre the Standard Grill (Meatpacking district) and Balthazar (SoHo) are reliably buzzy and good.

kewtogetin Tue 10-Feb-15 20:36:06

TriBeCa grill, owned by Robert de Niro, amazing steaks in a great restaurant, then pop to the bubble lounge down the road for champagne or cocktails.

alovelycuppatea Tue 10-Feb-15 20:37:35

Rosa mexicana or dos caminos.....super high end Mexican....amazing margaritas great atmosphere. Or calls ocho in upper west side or there is an amazing tapas place near flat iron that name escapes me but think it starts with a b....I'll post if I remember

Bearbehind Tue 10-Feb-15 20:39:00

Mmm, the Modern looks good too- this is great info- just ehat I wanted- thank you,

guyropes there are loads of thread on AIBU that could be posted in specifc sections but are posted here for traffic- does it harm you hmm

Belindabelle Tue 10-Feb-15 20:42:08

Where are you staying Bear?

Bearbehind Tue 10-Feb-15 20:43:04

Times Square

toots111 Tue 10-Feb-15 20:44:11

What sort of food do you like? What is your budget? Where are you staying? Are you happy to travel? Do you like somewhere noisy / characterful or quiet and sophisticated? Are cocktails important?

Bearbehind Tue 10-Feb-15 20:47:12

toots

will try most things

budget open to negotiation if it's worth it iykswim

Staying in Times Square and don't want to travel too far

Definitely not noisy

Cocktails not important

TIA grin

PeacockPie Tue 10-Feb-15 20:47:57

Del Friscos (under the McGraw Hill building, I think) on 6th Ave. It was best steak I've ever had, and a great atmosphere. It was recommended to us when we went, and really glad we made the effort!

JWIM Tue 10-Feb-15 20:50:28

Robert at the top of a museum/gallery on Columbus Circle - ?9th floor and views over Central Park.

waitingforthenight Tue 10-Feb-15 20:50:46

we like ny and food! gramercy tavern is quite chichi but we felt v comfortable. just off times square is virgil which does no frills bbq which is sooooooooooo good. tao (featured in satc with the big buddha) used to do a set lunch for the same price as the year so now $20.15, it is a lovely setting and nice lunch it is by near fao shwartz and tiffanys. aquagrill also v nice in the theatre district. for the more fancy ones and also some popular ones try and book online now. have a great tie

Strokethefurrywall Tue 10-Feb-15 20:50:56

Pastis is great for a fantastic breakfast - Peter Luger's steakhouse across Brooklyn Bridget is great. If you don't want to cross the bridge and want a good steak, Benjamins is pretty good.

awaynboilyurheid Tue 10-Feb-15 20:51:04

Carmines is an Italian restaurant, would recommend it, there are two but one is near Times Square. Try the delicious cakes or frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: