Advanced search

in thinking where are the feminists for the 1,400?

(67 Posts)
ChoochiWoo Tue 10-Feb-15 19:35:03

This occured to me whilst watching the topless protests for Strauss Kahn, amongst other twitter campaigns like #yesallwomen, The horrible treatment of Ched Evans victim via twitter partly inspired 'we believe you campaign' 3, ...the Rotherham abuse scandal breaks?* tumbleweed..... why has this not been subject of much feminist discussion on here? Especially here! ...its quite surprising. AIBU to think this is odd for a site such as this?

Hamiltoes Tue 10-Feb-15 19:36:33

Maybe because we're not all feminists? hmmgrin

Quangle Tue 10-Feb-15 19:40:08

I'm not even that sure there's much to discuss re Strauss Kahn. He's a vile abuser and that's all. He's also delusional. His defence today was that he's not even a really regular pimp and he only went to about 12 orgies over about three years so it barely registers confused

ApocalypseThen Tue 10-Feb-15 19:40:59

You think feminists are silent about the sexual abuse of girls and the perceptions around sexually abused people? Well, I've seen a lot of unfair accusations against feminists in my time, but you'd have to be totally and utterly ignorant of feminists and feminism to make this argument.

Hamiltoes Tue 10-Feb-15 19:43:26

And... Just went off to google 1400...

Came up with this.

Apparently its for fear of being labelled a racist.

kim147 Tue 10-Feb-15 19:44:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JohnFarleysRuskin Tue 10-Feb-15 19:44:59

I've seen it discussed here a lot.

ApocalypseThen Tue 10-Feb-15 19:48:01

Just to clarify for the confused, a voice for men is not the authentic voice of feminism.

kim147 Tue 10-Feb-15 19:48:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SolasEile Tue 10-Feb-15 19:52:06

I've seen quite a few threads on here discussing the issues you mention. Am on phone so can't search snd link easily now but definitely Rotherham, Ched Evans etc have been debated on here at length.

Have you checked out the Feminism forum rather than just AIBU?

meditrina Tue 10-Feb-15 19:53:01

There were so many Ched threads (in feminism and elsewhere) that some posters were asking for a new topic to corral them in.

MNHQ has an official line 'we believe you' (many threads passim)

There have been several threads over the years about Page 3 too.

I'm quite surprised that they have all been overlooked. Though I suppose if you MN only from AIBU (rather than say Active) the site would seem quite different.

Runningupthathill82 Tue 10-Feb-15 19:54:38

Erm, it's been discussed here a LOT...

AnnieLobeseder Tue 10-Feb-15 19:55:02

As I remember, Rotherham was discussed quite extensively when it happened. Ched Evans and Page 3 are discussed regularly.

Is there any particular reason you feel the burden for discussion of these subjects (and the logical follow-on, Doing Something About Them) falls onto the shoulders of feminists rather than society as a whole?

Fatstacks Tue 10-Feb-15 20:00:48

I feel the same way as the OP.

Ofsted apologies today and a single man convicted. All re Rotherham.

Local news all about 50 shades confused

I get that the book is dubious but there are actual crimes going unpunished here.

We don't need to wait for the book to influence our girls it's too late.

They are being abused.

Being afraid of a racist tag has caused this to snowball in our country.

Ironically the only people standing shouting are the far right plumbs.

AnnieLobeseder Tue 10-Feb-15 20:06:22

I hadn't heard anything about Rotherham convictions in the news. Has it been extensively covered? Perhaps it's the media who should be taking the blame for this lack of discussion rather than making a weird pop at feminists?

And if think a topic is worthy of discussion, start a thread about it. People will get involved. However, I can't help but think it monumentally unhelpful to storm into a chat forum and demand to know why people are not spending enough keyboard time on your topic of choice.

AnnieLobeseder Tue 10-Feb-15 20:06:59

"And if you think a topic is worthy of discussion, start a thread about it."

26Point2Miles Tue 10-Feb-15 20:11:59

It's all been discussed loads. What more is there to say? Don't think you e really looked have you op?

PtolemysNeedle Tue 10-Feb-15 20:14:04

It has been discussed loads, but thankfully it is avoidable if you want it to be because we don't all identify as feminists.

Fatstacks Tue 10-Feb-15 20:28:21
Annie I live in Sheffield and it hardly made the news.

It's a disgrace and I fear for the outcome of the victims.

There has been the new report showing the council poopoohing Alex Jay report six months age.
It's current.

YouKnowNothinJonSnow Tue 10-Feb-15 20:30:02

Try looking in the Feminist section instead of AIBU. hmm

JohnFarleysRuskin Tue 10-Feb-15 21:07:56

I put Rotherham in Mumsnet search. There were at least 14 threads about this with that in the title. I imagine there are more with different titles.

Runningupthathill82 Tue 10-Feb-15 21:09:15

Fatstacks - if you think it "hardly made the news" in Sheffield I can only presume that you don't buy any newspapers, visit any news websites, listen to the radio or watch tv.
Quite rightly, the story has been covered well and in depth by almost all news outlets - aside from the Star, who did a particularly shit job, perhaps thanks to the new and clueless editor.

Fatstacks Tue 10-Feb-15 21:26:47

I'm talking about the recent developments Running
I was replying to Annies question further up the thread.

AnyFucker Tue 10-Feb-15 21:30:58

is this another thread slagging The Feminists off ? < yawn >

perhaps we should corrall all those right off the fucking site

AnnieLobeseder Tue 10-Feb-15 21:48:55

Well, in that case Fatstacks, I agree with you that it's a shame that new developments in such in important story hasn't been given more significant coverage by the media. Sometimes I despair of the way important news is buried while crap like Kim Kardashian's arse makes headlines.

But how is it surprising that MN is not abuzz with the story when the media hasn't bothered?

I've asked this twice now and not had an answer. Why is the onus on feminists in particular to be discussing these topics and not the population in general?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now