Advanced search

To think this shouldn't happen after a swab!!

(91 Posts)
TheHermitCrab Tue 10-Feb-15 17:07:08

Some of you may have commented on my post yesterday. I'm 4 weeks postpartum and started having yellow discharge and my external stitches are hurting and itching (have mostly internal stitches, not sure how they are doing but so swollen I can't fit a finger up there!).

I had a 3rd degree tear, internal stitches and one external stitch.

I went to the docs this morning and he sent me to the nurse to have a swab taken. She couldn't use a speculum, too swolen and painful. So she just took the swab. When she put it in - oh the pain! I nearly cried. I told her how much it hurt, and she said it can...

So that was 10am. So at 3pm I went to the loo and I had the worst pain in the world when I urinated, worse than cystitis, but the same kind of pain. When I wiped, there was a tiny bit of blood on the tissue. Red, so not internal or old blood.

Couldn't get through to the docs so I rang 111, who told me to just keep on at my docs to tell them my symptoms had changed.

So i spoke to the nurse who saw me at the docs and she didn't seem to care. "Oh it's probably a uti" On top of my sore stitches, pelivc pain and discharge? "yes you can infect the urethra when wiping"

Ok fair enough... but I urinated at 9am, fine, not urinated all day, then 3pm.. agony and blood. Do urine infections really happen this fast?!

Everytime I have had them I always need to pee like mad... no feeling like that at all. Just itchy sore stitches... sad

Told me to just bath in salt water until my results come back in two days....

Am I being unreasonable to feel angry and fobbed off? Or just being a soft worried git?

sconequeen Tue 10-Feb-15 17:51:39

Sorry you are feeling so bad. I have no idea whether the swab this morning has made things worse but I do think you are being fobbed off. If I was in your position, I would be going to the out of hours doctor tonight. When my C-section wound got infected, I didn't need to wait two days for results once I saw a doctor - I was prescribed an antibiotic there and then by the GP (after two-three days of umming and aahing by the community midwife). I'm not medically qualified or a fan of antibiotics being handed out for everything but it does sound like you have an infection which needs to be treated.

Griphook Tue 10-Feb-15 17:57:59

Yes you are being fobbed off, have you been signed of by your midwife? Tbh I would go to a and e, I know with a newborn it's hard, but you have an infection.

The nurse sounds quite dismissive of the pain you are in and maybe from the school of stiff upper lip.

I would suggest that your stitches need to be looked at under some type of anesetic (sp) to ensure that its just your stitches that are infected rather the stiches haven't held.

What follow up advise have you been given?

Griphook Tue 10-Feb-15 18:02:23

We're you given any type of medication after your 3rd or from the Dr today?

HicDraconis Tue 10-Feb-15 18:02:40

When things get infected (& it sounds very much like your stitches are!) the tissues can get very delicate / sensitive (the term is "friable" but having a hard time coming up with a good description - basically, swollen, congested, red, inflamed and can ooze blood at the slightest touch) - so that they break and bleed easily if you just touch them. Sounds like the swab has made you bleed.

Second the salt water baths - use decent amounts of sea salt - and you need antibiotics. Just be warned if you're breastfeeding they may upset your baby's stomach a little (cramps, diarrhoea, grumpiness).

You may have a UTI on top of infected stitches but without the other symptoms I doubt it. I would go back to your gp, say you're in agony / can't walk with pain and get some antibiotics. They can always be changed if your results show different sensitivities to the one you're given, but GPs are pretty good at guessing which bugs are involved for different sites and most are sensitive to a good broad spectrum antibiotic.

BorisBaby Tue 10-Feb-15 18:03:31

My stitches got infected after having DD1 the pain and (sorry tmi) dead flesh smell MW tried fobbing me off but I know what dead things smell like I went to docs who gave antibiotics there and then. Go see another doctor tomorrow morning

Pensionerpeep Tue 10-Feb-15 18:07:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sparkysparkysparky Tue 10-Feb-15 18:09:20

Same experience as Boris and same as you by the sounds of it. Out of hours tonight if poss or GP tomorrow. It is a hateful experience with a newborn but you need to get this sorted. thanks

TheHermitCrab Tue 10-Feb-15 18:12:08

Hi all.

No the doc didn't give me anything, and the nurse just said I needed to wait for results.

It doesn't smell foul, if anything the discharge smells very sweet if anything?!

I will ring tomorrow and push about anti biotics. The nurse on 111 said that they will be holding off prescribing me until they know the right one to use so they aren't just using wide range ones.

I do have a full dose of anti bitotics upstairs that I was given in the hospital when I had the stitches, when I got sent home with my drugs when I was discharged but I'd already finished a course, but thought I'd keep them!

I would suggest that your stitches need to be looked at under some type of anesetic (sp) to ensure that its just your stitches that are infected rather the stiches haven't held. I would assume this would result in a lot more blood a lot sooner would it not? First 2 weeks I felt fine, couldn't tell I had stitches... the pain and discharge is very recent.

What would be the harm in me taking them and then swapping over to whatever they prescribe me when the swabs come back? OR is that just stupid?

I've took a cystitis sachet to see if there is anything to this apparent sudden infection...

Not sure what else to do except wait sad

sofatastic Tue 10-Feb-15 18:12:28

Are you taking painkillers? That might give you a little relief until the results and correct antibiotics.

drugs in breastmilk factsheets here so you can check whether anything is ok to take.

Trunkisareshite Tue 10-Feb-15 18:21:17

That sounds awful, I think you should go to hospital, no way should you be weeing blood. Don't be fobbed off any longer.

NeedABumChange Tue 10-Feb-15 18:27:07

I think you need to drink more if you are first peeing at 9am and then not until 3pm. This will dilute your urine and make you less prone to infection.

fluffyraggies Tue 10-Feb-15 18:31:56

All the above, plus, if you have a shower, wee in that with the jet on warm and aimed gently at your undercarriage. It will mean that the wee wont sting your stitches. (and just feels nice smile)

tackytiger Tue 10-Feb-15 18:36:59

My infected stitches smelled sweet - definitely get antibiotics. Poor you xx

TheHermitCrab Tue 10-Feb-15 18:38:03

NeedABumChange I've been drinking loads all day, it's odd I didn't need the loo! Especially ask I'm known for going to the loo regularly! (like every hour or so!)

fluffyraggies the urination pain is internal. My stitches are just hurting/aching, no stinging when weeing. The pain is like you would with cystitis, a deep hurty feeling when you pee that makes you want to stop!

fluffyraggies Tue 10-Feb-15 18:46:46

Right, well, that's good if the stitches aren't stinging. With my DD1 i had stitches internally and externally and they got infected. Stung like mad! However from what you have said here it sounds to me like maybe the stitches aren't healing too well AND you have a uti sad

I would do the cystitis sachets (3 per 24 hour isn't it?) this cannot do any harm, plus loads of water inbetween (a pint an hour IIRR) and push for the right ABs. The ones you were given at the hos. may not be suitable for utis.

fluffyraggies Tue 10-Feb-15 18:48:09

Are you BF OP? This will mean you need to be well hydrated and may well be the reason you haven't weed much even though you feel like you are drinking loads.

maddening Tue 10-Feb-15 18:50:34

When you need a wee run a shallow bath and sit in it and wee there then stand up and lightly shower the area. Right pita to do but much less painful Ime.

TheHermitCrab Tue 10-Feb-15 18:57:58

I'm not breast feeding no x

I keep telling people my stitches aren't hurting when I wee lol. My stitches are aching and itching, wee does not affect them. The pain when I wee is inside, like you get with cystitis, and there is bright red blood spots when I wipe (but no blood in my pad, just yellow discharge)

Griphook Tue 10-Feb-15 19:20:53

I would suggest that your stitches need to be looked at under some type of anesetic (sp) to ensure that its just your stitches that are infected rather the stiches haven't held. I would assume this would result in a lot more blood a lot sooner would it not? First 2 weeks I felt fine, couldn't tell I had stitches... the pain and discharge is very recent.

I had a 3rd degree tear and did quite last of reading about peoples recovery. I remember reading about a lady who became infected due to Poo entering the vagina due to broken stitches.Not nice, so I became ultra on the look out for infections.

I hope you start to feel better soon and get the right treatment, and follow up care later on.

TheHermitCrab Tue 10-Feb-15 19:54:51

Oooh thats a nice thought to go to bed on.... sad I hope that isn't the case.

Shadow1986 Tue 10-Feb-15 19:58:26

I was told not to have salt baths as the salt dissolves the stitches before they are ready to come out.

4 weeks post partum this should really be healing by now, surely you need antibiotics or something?

It sounds like the burning from wearing and red blood, the swab has scratched you or reopened something.

I whole head back tomorrow for a second opinion if you can!

Good luck OP. I had an episiotomy and tears so I really sympathise.

Shadow1986 Tue 10-Feb-15 19:59:07

*weeing that should say not wearing

Griphook Tue 10-Feb-15 20:07:30

I'm sure you'll be fine after a dose of antibiotics, good luck. 3rd degree tears are awful.

SweetValentine Tue 10-Feb-15 20:08:36

Can you get the number for the hospital's post natal ward? Give them a call and speak to a midwife

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now