Talk

Advanced search

Cameron want bosses to give people a payrise - AIBU to suggest he tells Osbourne that and gives public sector workers a pay rise?

(114 Posts)
kim147 Tue 10-Feb-15 09:16:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Londonladybird Tue 10-Feb-15 09:21:28

YANBU.... However I expect that many people with think otherwise...

bloomingMargaret Tue 10-Feb-15 09:22:17

The people that really need a pay rise are pensioners. According a to age UK 1.6 million are living in poverty. Its time state pensions were made a decent amount like Germany or Norway.

poocatcherchampion Tue 10-Feb-15 09:22:48

I'm a public sector worker. I'd love a pay rise. After 5 years...

SuburbanRhonda Tue 10-Feb-15 09:23:41

I work in the pubic sector and haven't had a pay rise since 2008.

So, yes, OP. I think I'm about due for one.

kim147 Tue 10-Feb-15 09:24:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YokoUhOh Tue 10-Feb-15 09:24:32

YANBU, I said exactly the same thing when I heard it.

Pitting public and private sector against each other has been a masterstroke. The Daily Mail readers have fallen for the ideology hook, line and sinker.

OldFarticus Tue 10-Feb-15 09:27:58

Do you not get an automatic increment every year though? DH works for the NHS and his wages usually go up by a bit annually for length of service/seniority, and occasionally he also gets a "proper" rise.

Genuinely interested - not sure whether the NHS is different?

WeirdCatLady Tue 10-Feb-15 09:34:40

public sector jobs are on scales, with increments of a few hundred pounds. So one job might have 8,000 8,250 8,500 8,750 in its grade. You start at the bottom and go up one increment each year until you reach the top of your grade and then stay here.

Dh hasn't had a pay rise above inflation for many many years. So basically, every public sector worker has been having a pay cut every year.

I also hate the public v private debate. Way to distract us from the real issues sad

firsttimekat Tue 10-Feb-15 09:38:40

Not all public sector jobs have increments anymore. I don't and have only had 1% for the last few years.

x2boys Tue 10-Feb-15 09:41:34

I only got increments (/nurse) until I reached the top of my pay scale oldfarticus.

x2boys Tue 10-Feb-15 09:42:52

Nurse in the NHS .

TRexingInAsda Tue 10-Feb-15 09:45:46

Well we're all in it together! I'm sure DC has done his sums before making this statement, and fully intends to give public sector workers a payrise for the first time in a about 6 or so years. I'd venture he'll do it ASAP as well, to set an example to show private bosses the way. He wouldn't expect private sector bosses and businesses to pay out when he wasn't planning on doing the same. Either pay rises are deserved and good for everyone and the whole economy or not - it's not a case of 'you pay to give your people a payrise so as to offset savings for us when we don't bother and also we sack half of them'. He's not a hypocrite you know, he's a politician. Two very different things. Probably. Sometimes...

Viviennemary Tue 10-Feb-15 09:47:47

Public sector workers have got lots of perks such as job security and good pension schemes and do not make money for the economy. So I don't think they should be first in the queue for a pay rise.

SuburbanRhonda Tue 10-Feb-15 09:47:57

What weird says.

In my area, Unison have negotiated a one-off lump sum for those at the top of their scale. It's £250. Pro-rata. So, bugger all if you work part-time and term-time because that's all your employer can afford.

Nomama Tue 10-Feb-15 09:47:59

And in teaching there have been new 'rules' about how you gain those increments. Mainly that everyone has to be above average in order to get one!

As WeirdCatLady says, the debate is deliberately divisive, intended to distract us all from other issues.

alotofchocolateonyourbiscuit Tue 10-Feb-15 09:50:26

Increments are being frozen for anyone earning over about 54k/year and are already static for those at the top of their pay scale. I realise that 54k is a lot of money, but for those who complete training and sit exams to move up to the next level which requires a greater level of skill and has a higher risk attached to it, it's not fair that it is not reflected in the pay.

SuburbanRhonda Tue 10-Feb-15 09:52:12

vivienne, you might be interested to know (though probably not), that the early help work I do in my job saves taxpayers' money by avoiding costly interventions by other agencies such as Social Services, Youth Justice and CAMHS.

You'll be talking about gold-plated pensions next. Oh, you already have.

Nomama Tue 10-Feb-15 09:53:51

Oh dear! Do you really think that is the truth, Viviennemary?

It is sad that you think this of bin men, teachers, local council office workers, librarians, caretakers, coastguards, medics, ambulance drivers, lollipop ladies, engineers, firefighters, the kid at the pool who is your lifeguard, nurses, midwives, youth workers, the men who clear your sewers, run the waste management plants and many, many more.

TheFairyCaravan Tue 10-Feb-15 10:00:39

Public sector workers have got lots of perks such as job security and good pension schemes and do not make money for the economy. So I don't think they should be first in the queue for a pay rise.

shock shock shock shock

Not anymore they don't! Have you not seen how many of the armed forces have been made redundant, or how many local authority workers, or the cutbacks to the rural ambulance and fire stations? Have you not heard about what the government have done to the pension schemes?

DH is in the RAF, he has had a pay rise last month because he was promoted. It was the first time we have seen a little bit, and it is a little bit, of extra money since this government has come to power.

YANBU in the slightest OP.

stubbornstains Tue 10-Feb-15 10:02:06

DC: "Oh big businesses, I think you should give your workers a pay rise. I have no intention of bringing in any legislation to force you to do this, but c'mon....wouldn't it be a lovely thing to do voluntarily?"

Big businesses: "No".

DC: "Oh....OK then."

Viviennemary Tue 10-Feb-15 10:02:47

I think public sector workers get a pretty good deal. I was one for a short time. Regular tea breaks and lunch breaks, flexible working hours, good pensions (though I wasn't in the pension scheme), job security. So I think they do very well indeed. I know somebody whose job in the public sector was taken over by private and conditions were much much worse.

stubbornstains Tue 10-Feb-15 10:04:03

(See also: Firm Talks with the Energy Companies for an example of DC's "no nonsense approach" with big business hmm).

Nomama Tue 10-Feb-15 10:08:20

I get very few of those though.

Back in the 80s, private sector, I had tea break and regular lunch. In the 90s I lost the tea break and got flexi hours. Now, public sector, I get a pension, but no tea break, flexi hours or proper lunch.

You will probably find that is true of all workers everywhere, all sectors. Some have cushy jobs, others don't. You are making generalisations from a sample of 1, or 2 and many others like me, can refute your assumptions using equally small samples.

Which might explain why such threads here get so heated!

HeeHiles Tue 10-Feb-15 10:09:24

Wages might be raising fast, though I suspect it's the wages at the top not the low incomes that are growing.

I work in recruitment and wages are not that much better than they were in 1994!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: