Advanced search

To think that cows have gone more aggressive.

(73 Posts)
tarashill Mon 09-Feb-15 17:18:11

Regularly on my walks down the country lanes I've been scared by them. I'm sure they used to be gentle placid creatures content to just chew the grass. But now they seem disturbed if I walk by and run towards me only stopping when they reach the wall. I'm aware that if they wanted they could easily jump the wall if they wanted. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this new aggressive behaviour in cows.

sparechange Mon 09-Feb-15 17:19:57

Maybe their farmer feeds then, and they think that person walking past = food coming
I have not noticed any new aggressive behavior in cows confused

Lagoonablue Mon 09-Feb-15 17:20:08

They have pretty shit lives tbf. I might be a pissed off too. Packed full of ABs, my baby removed at birth and killed, then having to be roughly milked every night.......

SaucyMare Mon 09-Feb-15 17:20:44

I wasn't sure if it was the cows that had changed or me.
As i got older and realised that they could trample me, so the cute cows following me through the field were no longer cute but scary.

5Foot5 Mon 09-Feb-15 17:21:03

Do you have a dog? I have heard that usually when cows attack it is because someone is with a dog and the cows get protective of their calves.

I can honestly say I have not noticed any aggressive behaviour from cows.

* I'm aware that if they wanted they could easily jump the wall if they wanted.*

Are you sure about that?

BOFster Mon 09-Feb-15 17:22:19

If they can jump over the moon, they can jump over a wall.

MrsBertMacklin Mon 09-Feb-15 17:24:20

YANBU Ominous weirdos.

Hoppinggreen Mon 09-Feb-15 17:25:18

We volunteer at a local community farm. They are "happy" cows if that makes a difference but they are not aggressive at all, even with babies,
We have to check their water and stuff but we are fine to go in the field.
We can't go in with the bull though and we aren't allowed in the barn with them.
I actually used to be a bit scared of cows but the ladies at the farm are lovely!!

tarashill Mon 09-Feb-15 17:28:34

Well I can understand it when they've got young, they're just being protective. What I meant by "my being aware they can easily jump the wall" is the fact that the wall is the only thing stopping them charging towards me and realising how vulnerable I am. In some cases it would be impossible for them to jump because of the height of stone wall or if there's a ditch as well.

tarashill Mon 09-Feb-15 17:29:54

I have noticed some breeds are far more placid and friendly. I wonder if it depends on the feed.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Mon 09-Feb-15 17:42:10

It can depend on the breed. Jerseys tend to be quite gentle, well the cows anyway, not so much the bulls.

TheFantasticMrsFox Mon 09-Feb-15 17:49:07

You shouldn't be able to walk through any fields where there are beef breeds, only dairy as they are generally more placid hmm

I use the sceptical smilie up there as I, DDog1 and DDog2 were chased by young dairy cattle while crossing a field on a public footpath. The boys buggered off into the field next door and hid in the maize <pussies> I OTOH was left to wave my arms and shop them away while they prodded me with their dribbly noses and pushed me into the hedge. Eventually I chickened out and vaulted, none too gracefully, through the barbed wire. I had to ring DH to come and fetch us, bringing antiseptic wipes and an unripped pair of jeans and tshirt. I still haven't walked through cows since <wibble>

IonaNE Mon 09-Feb-15 17:49:20

I think cows in England are quite aggressive. In my native (European) country cows just stand in the field and if you start walking towards them, they move away slowly. In England they move towards you as soon they spot you, sometimes they actually run towards you. I find it very intimidating when walking, even when there is a fence/wall.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 09-Feb-15 17:56:30

There's been a few cases near me of people either being killed or ending up seriously injured by cows.

CruCru Mon 09-Feb-15 17:59:34

I'm quite frightened of cows. They are much bigger than you'd think.

squoosh Mon 09-Feb-15 18:00:34

EatShitDerek Mon 09-Feb-15 18:01:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LuisSuarezTeeth Mon 09-Feb-15 18:02:18

LuisSuarezTeeth Mon 09-Feb-15 18:02:39

Have you considered cownselling?

StillStayingClassySanDiego Mon 09-Feb-15 18:03:04

Haven't they always had a tendency to become aggressive? especially if protecting their young.

PedantMarina Mon 09-Feb-15 18:03:18

It's all your own fault, OP. Walking around all by yourself. I'll bet you're wearing a short skirt too.

Whoops, wrong website fred.

DisappointedOne Mon 09-Feb-15 18:04:31

45 years ago my uncle went camping. Overnight the farmer let a load of cows into the field. They licked all the paint off his car!

They were obviously more passively aggressive all those years ago!

Enb76 Mon 09-Feb-15 18:04:32

show jumping cow

Pigs can jump too.

tarashill Mon 09-Feb-15 18:05:00

I mentioned to a farmer that the cows scared me. He was a bit dismissive, told me the "worst they'd do is just nudge me to the ground and then roll over me"........ Oh that's all right then.shock

PedantMarina Mon 09-Feb-15 18:06:13

So, let me be clear on this: the cows do farmer-tipping?!? Fabulous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now