Talk

Advanced search

To return the class bear with a note saying thanks, but no thanks

(249 Posts)
Wailywailywaily Sun 08-Feb-15 16:15:33

DS has the Reception class Bear to entertain this weekend. The bear has two books full of his previous adventures and TBH he has a busy life.

I'm ashamed to say that he has now spent the entire weekend in his suitcase blush.

DS gets a lot of homework for a reception child IMO - spellings, drawing and reading - and I can't be bothered to make him come up with an adventure for the Bear as well.

So I was thinking that the Bear seems to need a rest anyway and perhaps it would be just fine to send him back having had a good long snooze?

SantanaLopez Sun 08-Feb-15 16:18:19

Take picture of bear in bed.

Bear was poorly this weekend. To make him feel better he went to bed early.

2 minutes tops.

PotatoLetters Sun 08-Feb-15 16:18:27

I think the exercise is to get your ds to help write about teddy's relaxing spa weekend. Yanbu to give the bear a quiet weekend but yabu to not contribute to his book.

ethelb Sun 08-Feb-15 16:18:33

Maybe a he wanted to watch the baftas?

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 08-Feb-15 16:18:53

Ok, but get DS to draw a picture of the bear sleeping and maybe write a bit?
The class bear is the highest honour in DS class and it would be terrible if he forgot to write and draw in the book. It's not exactly homework!

Nanny0gg Sun 08-Feb-15 16:19:33

Did DS do nothing this weekend?

Eat breakfast? Play with his toys? Watch a DVD?
See grandparents? Go for a walk? Wake up this morning?

There are so many lovely day-to-day things the bear could have done with DS (including a nap?) that could have been fun for your DS to do with him.

So I think you're a bit U, yes.

noblegiraffe Sun 08-Feb-15 16:19:38

My DS was really excited when he had the class bear. They had to show the class what they did in a show and tell so an empty book would have been embarrassing.

You just need a couple of photos of bear helping with homework and chilling out watching TV or something. It doesn't have to be The Odyssey.

KingJoffreyObviouslyWatchesHol Sun 08-Feb-15 16:20:09

Bear could watch Game Of Thrones.

That might be nice. Bears like Game Of Thrones.

manchestermummy Sun 08-Feb-15 16:20:35

YABU. I hate having the class bear, especially when they are that age and it's homework for you. But surely your dc is excited to have been picked? Dd1's y2 picks the bear keeper by behaviour; it is a big deal.

Best advice for yr? Get your ds to write it himself. But don't pass on your apathy...

PtolemysNeedle Sun 08-Feb-15 16:21:43

Perfectly fine for the bear to have stayed in bed all weekend, but you do have to write/do a picture in the book. This stuff matters too much to reception children to just not bother.

Kahlua4me Sun 08-Feb-15 16:22:59

Someone in dd's class once wrote in the bear's book that he had been having such a busy time with all the other dc that he had spent the weekend relaxing and watching tv to restore his energy!

Just a few photos, your ds writes a bit and job done.

BikeRunSki Sun 08-Feb-15 16:23:26

DS would have been gutted if we hadn't written in any of the Bears' books (nursery, Reception and even Beavers has one). It's a big deal to the children. We've never done anything particularly special though, and apart from the Beavers bear when DS was 6.5 I've always done the writing.

Damnautocorrect Sun 08-Feb-15 16:24:04

I feel the same as you, but I have had to put that to one side as I know ds will feel upset and sad if he hasn't done it.
End of the day it's my gripe to make a stand about not his. Complain to the teacher if you so wish but don't get your ds to do the protesting

AWholeLottaNosy Sun 08-Feb-15 16:24:05

I don't have kids ( thank god) so can someone please tell me what the fuck is the point of this bear..??

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sun 08-Feb-15 16:25:55

We had the class bear (actually a Lion called Lenny) wearing a little paper chef's hat & holding a wooden spoon. Then DS2 wrote a few lines about Lenny learning to cook soup.

Quick, easy (the story not the soup) but enough. He doesn't have to climb Snowdon or bungee jump off a bridge every weekend.

TeenAndTween Sun 08-Feb-15 16:28:05

Bear hibernated as it was so cold this w/e.

greenfolder Sun 08-Feb-15 16:28:41

my favourite ones were where Bear had watched the rugby from the sofa with a glass of beer. do that.

KindleFancy Sun 08-Feb-15 16:30:45

We had the class bear over half term last year, when we just so happened to go to Disneyland [smug] .

I agree with pp's though - YABU not to do it. Taking part in a game, going for a walk, eating dinner, reading, there's lots you could do and get your dc to write a couple of lines about.

5madthings Sun 08-Feb-15 16:31:20

We have the class bear this weekend, actually it's a,badger.. Madthing4 has been massively excited to have him. Luckily he had two parties to go to so badger has had a busy weekend.

Just get a pic of bear in bed, bear playing etc. It's a pita but it has to be done.

TheUnwillingNarcheska Sun 08-Feb-15 16:33:09

Fill in a small diary entry for him, a very tongue in cheek entry could be following all these busy weekends this bear has had he chose a relaxing one of chilling in front of the tv this weekend.

We had the bear after he had been given to a child in half term, he got taken on holiday to France. Cue pictures of the bloody bear at a street cafe, at the Louvre, etc how could we possibly follow that?

At our house he watched Cbeebies, met the goldfish and enjoyed a bedtime story. That was it.

IndridCold Sun 08-Feb-15 16:34:26

Suck it up sister, we've all been there grin. We had ours for a whole sodding half term once!

eckythumpenallthat Sun 08-Feb-15 16:34:38

When we got the nursery bear he had a quiet one. Trip to the supermarket. Trip to the bank. Watched us do some washing. There are plenty of day to day things u can include

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Sun 08-Feb-15 16:34:52

I'm fairly expert at mocking up class bear photos. Or worse, planning weekend activities so as to look good in bear's book blush

Last time, DH said we should photoshop bear into pics of the Seven Wonders of the World for a laugh. I couldn't go through with it though.

Woahbodyforrrrm Sun 08-Feb-15 16:35:28

Our class bear had been subjected to lots of one upmanship to many amazing places, including Albert square, I kid you not.

Anyway, when he came to ours, he had his pic taken with my son putting his tooth out for the tooth fairy as it fell out over the weekend. I don't get involved in the trying to out do each other. So I agree it doesn't have to be anything exciting, the relaxing weekend is a nice idea.

cheminotte Sun 08-Feb-15 16:35:33

Yanbu. It is homework at that age and hard work for the parent if you can barely persuade your ds / dd to pick up a pencil let alone write or draw anything. I actually found it really hard to read about all the friends round to play when ds was really struggling to make friends. But if we get it I will just take some pictures and do the writing myself. not with my left hand as recommended by a teacher friend

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: