Talk

Advanced search

To send my dd to her prom by bus?

(52 Posts)
dingit Sun 08-Feb-15 09:19:40

Event is just down the road. Bus stop just up the road. She'll be able to offer all her friends a ride, and the colour will match her dress smile

TwinkieTwinkle Sun 08-Feb-15 10:04:43

I don't get what you mean by offering friends a lift confused. My sister went to her prom in a funeral car, her friend was useless at organising stuff!

noblegiraffe Sun 08-Feb-15 10:12:54

If the bus stop is down the road won't she be walking into her prom?

FarFromAnyRoad Sun 08-Feb-15 10:20:32

confused

What answers were you hoping for here OP?

Behooven Sun 08-Feb-15 10:23:20

Yabu, she'll be scarred for life smile

Follyfoot Sun 08-Feb-15 10:23:40

grin OP, sounds a great idea to me.

ApocalypseThen Sun 08-Feb-15 10:33:41

In fairness though, I think I'd encourage her to get the dust off her dress before she leaves.

Thymeout Sun 08-Feb-15 11:59:34

No, I think that would be rather stylish, especially if a group of them did it. An unspoken comment on the ridiculous one-upmanship of the Prom.

Nomama Sun 08-Feb-15 12:27:08

^ ^ As a group thing.... oh yes!

Mammanat222 Sun 08-Feb-15 12:56:38

What are the other transport options?

WorraLiberty Sun 08-Feb-15 13:56:03

I can't speak for your DD but personally if I was wearing a prom dress and was done up to the nines, I'd feel pretty stupid walking to the bus stop and catching a bus.

Why not send her in a taxi?

U2TheEdge Sun 08-Feb-15 14:39:36

My son wants me to get him a limo.

I said he can go and take a jump.

We live a 5 minute walk away from the school hmm

dingit Sun 08-Feb-15 15:08:54

Pay for taxi, when her zip card gets her a free bus ride?

Ok, I'm joking, she will be driven there in style. ( probably dad cabs, unless we chip in for a limo)

PavlovtheCat Sun 08-Feb-15 15:11:26

hmm what was the point of the thread then?

LoblollyBoy Sun 08-Feb-15 15:13:53

I went to my graduation on a bus, my mum was hmm the whole way there, I couldn't work out why. This led me to spring for a cab to go to my wedding.

EveBoswell Sun 08-Feb-15 15:19:32

It's not a prom but my wedding cars didn't turn up. I was dolled up ready and about to cross the road to get the bus to the church when a friend turned up and drove six of us to my wedding!

He was lovely about it but now I wish I'd gone on the bus to cause a stir.

AlpacaPicnic Sun 08-Feb-15 15:23:28

I got the bus to my prom leavers ball with all my friends! We liked being the centre of attention, with everyone looking at us in our fancy dresses and hairdos - plus limos hadn't been invented back then <oldish gimmer>

PrettyFeet Sun 08-Feb-15 15:24:49

YANBU OP. Nothing wrong with getting a bus. Why, are a lot of her friends going in limo's grin

dingit Sun 08-Feb-15 15:28:37

Pavio, it was just a joke hmm

Thinking about it, hiring a bus would be fun, especially an old route master. Personally I think the limo thing is a bit naff.

SconeRhymesWithGone Sun 08-Feb-15 15:30:10

I took a bus once to a very posh wedding in the UK. I'm American and knew the bride from student days. It was in the city where we went to university which I knew well, so it didn't occur to me to spend money on a taxi when the bus went straight from my hotel to within a short distance of the church.

I was very dressed up, big hat and all, and it was pouring rain. As we got closer to the church, several women on the bus expressed concern that my nice frock would get wet if I had to walk from the bus stop to the church. So they convinced the driver to stop right in front of the church (right after a Rolls pulled away from having dropped off a minor royal). A crowd had gathered and they actually applauded as I stepped off the bus.

WhyNotSmile Sun 08-Feb-15 15:31:16

Going on the bus sounds brilliant! I would absolutely have done that if I'd been going to a prom at her age, just for the fun of being different and not being involved in all the expense and silliness of having limos etc.

But then, I wanted to walk to and from my wedding (it was only 10 minutes away), or drive myself, but my dad and my husband-to-be wanted cars! (This turned out to be a good idea, because it was an extremely wet and windy day)

Viviennemary Sun 08-Feb-15 15:32:41

shock You must know everyone arrives in a pink limo.

GokTwo Sun 08-Feb-15 15:35:27

With a group of friends that would be great fun. On your own it would be really embarrassing!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sun 08-Feb-15 15:36:15

A group of students in DS1's year hired an old, what I would call "London Bus", for their prom. It had ribbons on the front - much like you would have on a wedding car.

It looked great & the bus driver hung around to allow other students (who hadn't travelled on it) to have their photos taken by it.

But not travelling on a normal, bog standard, public bus to her prom. No.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sun 08-Feb-15 15:37:02

Sorry - photos taken next to it. I made it sound as though the bus was holding the camera.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: