Advanced search

To find our neighbours outdoor speakers really intrusive?

(23 Posts)
FlamingGalar Sat 07-Feb-15 12:52:09

Our neighbours has extensive work done on their house a few years ago and in the process installed an outdoor speaker system.

During the summer the system was being used every week - usually on a Sunday but often the Saturday as well - when the family were spending time outside. They have a long garden so the music is on pretty loudly for the sound to carry to the end of the lawn.

Its a lovely day where we are today and they have just turned their music on while the husband gets on with jobs in the garden and it's actually giving me the rage!

We do not share a similar taste in music (which is beside the point anyway) and its really blasting into our kitchen/ living area as the speaker is set up on the wall just outside our back door.

I don't feel I can say anything as it's their space and they can do what they want in it. Also it's not as if they use it late in to the evening and keeping us up all night. I'm just so sick of listening to his crappy, morose, droney music powering into the back of our house. Hearing it today has reminded me of what we have to put up with every weekend in the summer and it just drives me crazy.

They are a lovely couple and really good neighbours in every other way so really not worth getting into a row about this, but bloody hell my heart sinks when I hear the speakers come on.

Rant over - feel better already smile

MrsPeterQuill Sat 07-Feb-15 13:06:06

They're being really fucking selfish actually. That would give me the rage. I feel your pain, our neighbours are noisy inconsiderate twats too.

Have you thought about going round and asking them nicely to turn it down?

SantanaLopez Sat 07-Feb-15 13:06:57

That's really, really selfish of them. Not cool!

Pico2 Sat 07-Feb-15 13:07:52

YANBU. That is a bizarre idea. Who thinks that outdoor speakers in a residential area are ok? What is wrong with headphones?

AgentProvocateur Sat 07-Feb-15 13:08:03

I've never heard of outdoor speakers. That's a whole new level of inconsiderateness!

Nanny0gg Sat 07-Feb-15 13:08:54

I don't feel I can say anything as it's their space and they can do what they want in it

Not necessarily true, as what they are doing is leaving their 'space'.

Go and have a polite word, they may have no idea.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 07-Feb-15 13:10:31

Yes I would be very pissed off especially if the music is really shite.

If they're good neighbours in every other way I'd be hesitant to say anything but why should you have to tolerate this every weekend?

IsadoraQuagmire Sat 07-Feb-15 13:13:57

That's awful! People should only do this if they live in a detached house with lots of land around it, not people who live within earshot of neighbors.

1hamwich4 Sat 07-Feb-15 13:15:22

I had some who did this. They had quite good taste in music but it was more the fact that they just assumed the entire neighbourhood would be happy to listen to it that was really irritating. The train driver on night shifts on the other side of them was not impressed.

I dealt with it by placing my radio as close to their music as possible and cranking up the volume just enough that the conflicting beats ruined the entire listening experience.

It took about 15 mins for them to get the hint and turn it down, whereupon I turned mine off and everyone was happy.

Childish, but they were selfish fuckers who wouldn't have listened to an appeal to reason.

Lunaballoon Sat 07-Feb-15 13:21:40

Unfortunately some people simply don't give a toss about anyone else. I would do exactly as 1hamwich4.

AimlesslyPurposeful Sat 07-Feb-15 13:29:09

AgentProvocateur - "I've never heard of outdoor speakers. That's a whole new level of inconsiderateness!" Couldn't agree more!

If they are normally considerate neighbours perhaps they just haven't realised how much their music impacts on your life or that you can hear it in the house.

As you do get on well with them I don't see why you feel you can't say something? Surely, if you were regularly doing something that was bothering them you'd want them to tell you rather than quietly steam about it?

You could explain that the position of the speakers means their music can be heard clearly in your house and ask if they could be moved further down the garden or to the other side of the house.

TooMuchRain Sat 07-Feb-15 13:29:58

That would be my idea of hell, I don't get why people think it's ok to invade your space like that.

expatinscotland Sat 07-Feb-15 13:33:43

Who on Earth thinks this is considerate? Have a word with them.

SisterMoonshine Sat 07-Feb-15 13:36:21

It pisses me off just to hear music blaring out of cars.
I can't believe you have to out up with this.

FlamingGalar Sat 07-Feb-15 13:38:17

Thanks for the replies.

Nail on the head 1hamwich - the assumption that he whole neighbourhood is happy to listen to their choice in music is beyond selfish. Topped off by the fact their music is shite.

I'm not sure how to bring this one up with them as it's an ongoing issue rather than just a request to turn it down as a one off. Because of the positioning of the speakers, even at a low volume the music is still pretty intrusive.

Sometimes the only option is to blast our own music just to drown out the hideous racket from the neighbours, but actually sometimes we just want a bit of peace at the weekend. Jeeze I sound bloody ancient!

WidowWadman Sat 07-Feb-15 13:38:40

We had neighbours like that. Reported them to the council's noise pollution hotline until it stopped. Was too chicken to confront them myself, and have been told by the noise people that that was probably a wise decision

CrystalHaze Sat 07-Feb-15 13:44:23

Report to the council. If it's disturbing you it will be disturbing others around you too.

How monumentally thoughtless of them. It would be obvious to anyone with more than 3 brain cells that outdoor music at a volume loud enough to be heard at the other end of a long garden affects everyone around them. They're either very stupid, or very selfish.

FlamingGalar Sat 07-Feb-15 13:45:02

Destruction Moving of the speakers is really the only solution I can broach with them as this bloody speaker system is his pride and joy. He's a real techie type and I think he thought we would all be super impressed at his brilliant boon. He was so proud of himself when he gave us the grand tour!

FlamingGalar Sat 07-Feb-15 13:47:40

Is the hotline anonymous CrystalHaze? Not that I'm a massive chicken or anything. grin

Saying that, they are very lovely so I would have a word with them before contacting the council.

CrystalHaze Sat 07-Feb-15 21:41:06

I don't think the council would tell them who complained - it's a few years ago now, but I looked into making s noise complaint against our awful neighbours when we were in our previous property (loud music at all hours, parties several times a week, talking to them met with a 'fuck off' response), and they said we would need to keep a noise log, and then they'd instal monitoring equipment to see how loud and how regular it was. As it happens the couple spilt up and moved out, so we didn't need to take it by further.

Spring/summer are on the way - it's going to get worse as the weather gets better sad

CrystalHaze Sat 07-Feb-15 21:42:41

Just noticed your user name - love it! Alf forever!

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Sat 07-Feb-15 21:45:59

Council Noise Nuisance. Even if you get on okay with neighbours, it cane be a hard thing to mention.

Katinkka Sat 07-Feb-15 22:16:29

Bloody hell thats worse than my windchimes hell. I couldn't be doing with that. I'd just report them to the council. I did this with a neighbours' son who used to come home every lunchtime, open the windows and blast out Guns and Roses. Totally unnecessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now