Advanced search

nhs- surgery why is it my decision now or later?

(19 Posts)
abouttobeevicted Sat 07-Feb-15 10:44:00

I posted last week that I broke my arm on a skate board- stupid I know

well I went to the fracture clinic yesterday and got another cast and an xray. so when I saw the Dr again he said I will need a plate or rod in my arm.
OK but he then said its my decision as to when? it could be next week or I can wait to see if the cast holds then probably still need to do it in 2 months. do when do I want to do it?

so aibu to have expected the Dr to make this decision not me?

TwoOddSocks Sat 07-Feb-15 10:47:39

i don't understand your problem. You can get it over and done with now or wait a month and there's a small chance you won't need the plate at all. As long as you're fully informed I think allowing you to make the decision is a good thing.

If I was you I'd just get it done now but I'm impatient and pessimistic.

DesperatelySeekingSanity Sat 07-Feb-15 10:55:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheCowThatLaughs Sat 07-Feb-15 10:58:49

The thinking now is that the paternalistic model of "doctor knows best" was a bit crap, and it's better to involve patients in decisions about their treatment. Of course not every patient wants this! In a case like this though, it's apparently not urgent and you might not be able to get time of work immediately etc, so it's good to get the choice isn't it?

Caronaim Sat 07-Feb-15 11:00:03

Its up to you what fits in with your life better.

lljkk Sat 07-Feb-15 11:01:15

yanbu, but there are MNers who will flame you for being "Naive" that you don't think you should have to take the responsibility for taking a good decision.

I'm a "Wait & see if treatment is really necessary" type person, "Any treatment can go wrong as well as right so best to delay in case not needed", so I would wait & see. Other people just want it sorted.

Next time, there is no harm in asking Doc "What would you want done if it was your arm?"

I've broken my arms three times, last time hurt a lot, sympathies! flowers

abouttobeevicted Sat 07-Feb-15 11:02:58

I do know that. it was just phrased in a weird way.
I guess as he kept stressing that it would need surgery anyway that now or later was a moot point. it wasn't phrased as a is this week OK or shall we book it for later.

anyway has anyone had a plate put in? apparently its just an overnight. then I don't know how long to recover as I need to go back to work asap.

brainwashed Sat 07-Feb-15 11:49:08

I am hoping not to be in the same position next week when I go to the fracture clinic...but if I am I would go for an op as soon as poss...get it over and done with! Am only 1 week after breaking my arm and am so fed up and bored.

abouttobeevicted Sat 07-Feb-15 12:43:02

hi brain- how did you do it? where have you broken?

brainwashed Sat 07-Feb-15 17:48:48

Broken the radial head so up near the elbow of my dominant hand :-(
I fell off a pull up bar onto concrete.

PlantCurtain Sat 07-Feb-15 17:57:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HicDraconis Sat 07-Feb-15 18:03:24

As a doctor, when anyone says "What would you do if you were me" I say I can't answer as I'm not them. If I were the one with the injury an op would have different risks and concerns as my medical history is different to theirs.

We have to involve patients in decision making now. It's highly likely that you'll need an operation if you wait but not definite (otherwise there is no point in waiting). The questions you need to ask are "what are the risks and benefits of going ahead now versus the risks and benefits of waiting?"

You know the main risk of waiting - that you may need surgery in any case. Timing may make surgery more or less likely to be successful. With that information you can decide which choice is right for you, based on work commitments / plans / lifestyle etc.

SauvignonBlanche Sat 07-Feb-15 18:13:49

It's your decision as it's your arm. It's the doctor's job to give you all the relevant facts including the pros and cons so that you can make an informed decision.

Notmeagain1 Sat 07-Feb-15 18:14:24

I personally would have the surgery. It really depends on where the break is.

My DH broke his left arm right near the elbow and didn't have surgery as quickly as he should have. Now he can only straighten out his arm about 80% so his left arm is about 5 inches shorter since he cannot physically straighten it out. He has been offered them to re-break the arm under GA and reset it properly. Thanks, but no thanks for that.

I hope you get things sorted soon and heal quickly. In the mean time, stay off those skateboards.grin

abouttobeevicted Sat 07-Feb-15 18:28:12

I'm not annoyed about being given the choice I guess I was confused about the option. that was really my aibu
I did ask about risks and they seem reasonable. obviously I'd rather have the operation when its easier to fix.

now just waiting until the hospital calls to tell me when to come in. I believe it'll be this week as I have humerus and an arrow in pen on my left arm .

brainwashed Sat 07-Feb-15 18:55:14

Hope it goes well x

abouttobeevicted Wed 11-Feb-15 21:41:17

going in tomorrow for surgery!!

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Wed 11-Feb-15 22:21:42

You fell off a skateboard???
How awesome are you?!

knackered69 Wed 11-Feb-15 23:24:00

Aw - hope it all goes well for you x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: