Talk

Advanced search

The pressure of the 45 high frequency words in Newsletter!

(21 Posts)
Youbeapenguin Sat 07-Feb-15 07:23:47

Does anyone else have this in Reception?

The school included a list of children in our class who can now read their first 45 high frequency words. Each week new names are added to the list. AIBU to think this is slightly insane? What if your child is the last one to go on the list?

And I am sure my DS (now year 2) did not have to learn 45 high frequency words until about Y1 ....

Does anyone think this is a bit much, both the Newsletter announcements and the 45 HF words so early on in Reception year?

Icimoi Sat 07-Feb-15 07:28:23

It's more than insane, it's potentially disability discrimination. Just think what it's like if you're dyslexic and yours is the only name not on that list by the end. Start telling a child that they're a failure at the age of 4 or 5 and you're storing up all kinds of problems.

Youbeapenguin Sat 07-Feb-15 07:29:52

I forgot to mention, the list is also displayed prominently in the classroom for the children to see.

Sirzy Sat 07-Feb-15 07:32:10

I think that's awful. DS is in reception and if his school did this I would have no qualms over complaining

Youbeapenguin Sat 07-Feb-15 07:35:05

I don't know if I'm more shocked that they are displaying a list of names, or that most of the class can already read the words.

DD is on the list, but she is September born and has an older sibling. My older child would not have been able to read all the words at this point in reception.

TeWiSavesTheDay Sat 07-Feb-15 07:45:48

That's really mean! I agree how upsetting for a child who hasn't managed it by the end of the year (no matter why that is the case)

You could do something more private to celebrate - put a sticker in the reading log, my kids are always delighted by that!

grobagsforever Sat 07-Feb-15 07:48:02

I'm speechless!

MissDuke Sat 07-Feb-15 07:52:00

I wonder what the thinking is behind it???

AnnaFiveTowns Sat 07-Feb-15 07:52:01

That's shit and you should complain.

ABakersDozen Sat 07-Feb-15 07:54:14

They are trying to pressure parents into doing more homework therefore bringing all children in the class up to the same level. This makes it easier for the school to meet targets.

Nectarines Sat 07-Feb-15 08:00:53

I've never heard of a more ridiculous idea. Reception age children should be allowed to progress at a rate that suits them. Imagine being compared to others and labelled a failure at four years old. I would complain about this.

Sirzy Sat 07-Feb-15 08:06:15

Probably correct bakers dozen. However what I would really do is make parents like me feel shit. DS reads every night, we do our "homework" activites and I am very supportive of his education. However, he struggles more than average he has an IEP and we are waiting on an ed psych assessment. This would make me feel I wasn't doing enough and remind me that he is "behind". Now realistically I don't care he is happy and he is progressing at his own speed and more importantly he is in a supportive school who are helping him.

Whatever happened to individual targets? For some children learning 45 words may be really easy for others a massive battle so both shouldn't be treated in the same way.

Skatingfastonthinice Sat 07-Feb-15 08:24:38

'And I am sure my DS (now year 2) did not have to learn 45 high frequency words until about Y1 ....'

IME Reception have done HF words as well as phonics, and sent them home. Often in batches of 5/10 and matched to where the individual is in their learning.
But publishing the names to parents is a step too far, some children may not be on that list by the end of the year and that is unreasonable pressure on the child and ammunition for the unpleasant.

solidarityplease Sat 07-Feb-15 08:26:34

Absolutely ridiculous and very, very bad practise indeed.
What phonics scheme are the school using op?
The children should be in differentiated ability groups for literacy and phonics and therefore have completely different sets of words/sounds to learn appropriate for their ability.

I have many years experience teaching early years and have never come across something like this.

The children should be receiving differentiated "homework" based around their stage of learning.
They are setting a large numbers of children up for a fall. Publicly too. Complain OP.

As for displaying the names.....speechless.

ABakersDozen Sat 07-Feb-15 08:47:54

Our school does something very similar to this in terms of a publicly displayed lists.

Without giving too much away, our school regularly features in the newspaper league table lists, ie: 'top 50 primary schools' in the UK. I wonder if this is how they get onto these lists?!

HamstersDontHaveFeet Sat 07-Feb-15 08:51:31

That's is horrible.

Icimoi Sat 07-Feb-15 08:53:13

ABakers, the depressing thing is that your school probably gets onto those lists because it makes life such hell for the slower children that their parents end up withdrawing them.

SnowWhiteAteTheApple Sat 07-Feb-15 09:00:12

I can understand they have to find a way to ensure parents do reading etc at home as some have no interest in doing it as they simply don't care, some won't make time etc.

However naming children who can do it is a touch too far. They could say x children have now got to that stage and individually tell the parents of those that haven't by still sending home the words.

Skatingfastonthinice Sat 07-Feb-15 09:02:42

They probably call it "Celebrating Achievement' and ' Parent School Partnership'

soverylucky Sat 07-Feb-15 09:03:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CrohnicallyCold Sat 07-Feb-15 09:06:09

I can see the logic behind telling parents that this is what is expected by the end of the year. I can also see the logic in rewarding children that have achieved it. But not in such a public way! With the year 1 phonics check, a letter is sent home so the parents know if their child meets the expectation or not.

How would the teacher like it if there was a list of staff who had achieved their performance management target that year? And no allowances were made for mitigating circumstances!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: