Talk

Advanced search

to be fed up of living in a deprived neighbourhood?

(386 Posts)
fluffymouse Fri 06-Feb-15 19:38:40

We moved neighbourhoods in London to up size. Quite simply we could only afford a place big enough for us as a family in London in a dodgy neighbourhood. By any conventional marker the area is very deprived. It has a rather notorious reputation too, and has meant some people have been reluctant to visit us.

I have tried being positive about the area (it is on the up, like all areas of London that are not already up!). I am starting to think it would be nice to just move out to a nice village now.

Pros of our area:
Good community feel
Crime rate acceptable by London standards
Feels safe for the most part
Diverse neighbourhood - good ethnic foods

Cons:
Drug dealing neighbours who have been verbally abusive and threatening
Antisocial behaviour issues
Very few of the parents at dd's preschool speak English - limiting opportunities for play dates
Local schools - most do well considering, but children starting with attainment well below average, high turnover of pupils, and lots of pupils at early stage of English language acquisition
Very poor provision for children despite there being lots of children in the area - put simply no one bothers to provide as it wouldn't be taken up for the most part. No ballet, gym etc. Even the children centres offer very little.

WIBU to move us all out to a beautiful village up north where we can get a 4 bed house for the price of a bedsit here?

EatShitDerek Fri 06-Feb-15 19:40:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ghostyslovesheep Fri 06-Feb-15 19:40:45

move

EverySingleTime Fri 06-Feb-15 19:42:00

I would move.

AuditAngel Fri 06-Feb-15 19:42:01

No it wouldn't be unreasonable. Things to consider:

What potential salary could be earnt there?
Are jobs available?
Do you have family support here? Would you need it there?
How would you manage (such as emergency school pick ups) away from friends/family

Tiredemma Fri 06-Feb-15 19:42:14

I would move.

I love London but only to visit. The house prices quite frankly take the piss.

Bowlersarm Fri 06-Feb-15 19:43:01

Move, don't look back and kick yourself for staying put.

(I am no London fan though so feel free to ignore me)

BMO Fri 06-Feb-15 19:44:28

If you can find work, I would move.

I also live in a very deprived area of a city and dislike the anti-social behaviour, teens speeding around on quad bikes, dog shit everywhere, fly tipping and everything being generally run down. Am also thinking of moving out.

neme Fri 06-Feb-15 19:45:55

I'd move. I never understand why, job situation etc being convertible etc, people pay stupid London prices for shitholes. It's a constant source of amazement to me when I watch Homes Under The Hammer.

RabbitSaysWoof Fri 06-Feb-15 19:46:22

North is drastic. Tell us your house budget, we can find you a lovely place.

wowfudge Fri 06-Feb-15 19:47:02

You could live somewhere with gorgeous countryside and be within commuting distance of a major city. It's not so grim up north.

Purplepoodle Fri 06-Feb-15 19:48:45

If you have no supportive family nearby I would move in a hear beat

Methe Fri 06-Feb-15 19:49:39

I would move too. I lived in London for 4 years and found it to be an absolute dump. Unless they are super rich I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would ever choose to live there.

People outside of London are far, far nicer.

notquiteruralbliss Fri 06-Feb-15 19:50:12

We moved from an exquisite stables conversion in a beautiful rural area to a run down Victorian terrace in an area like yours just over 20 years ago and it was the best move ever. Yes there was dealing on the street but I never felt unsafe in the 10 years We lived there. My eldest DD was often to be found in the house of our (non English speaking) neighbours after school and we all loved the diversity of the area.

We moved out of London (needed to downshift) about 10 years ago but would move back in a heartbeat if we could afford to. And for what it is worth our older DCs shunned the (top of the league table) local schools where we now live, preferring to travel back into London to a somewhere near the bottom of the league table comprehensive.

fluffymouse Fri 06-Feb-15 19:50:47

Eat but we could afford to live in a nice area up north.

Our jobs are public sector, meaning they could easily be transferred (ironically most want to work in London despite the ridiculous living costs). Our London weighting is a pittance too - far less than the cost of living in London. Family are here but do very little.

Ideally we are looking to buy somewhere up to £300k, 4 or more bedrooms, nice location with good local schools. I have looked and that is very doable in Yorkshire. Where else would you suggest rabbit ?

carpetcrawler Fri 06-Feb-15 19:51:46

Move yourself to a nice all white neighbourhood.

Away from those forriners.

fluffymouse Fri 06-Feb-15 19:54:29

carpet I have made it clear that my issues are with the crime and antisocial behaviour, not the foreign neighbours. I like the diversity, and am a second generation immigrant.

I however wouldn't want my dd to be the only native speaker in her class as I think that would disadvantage her.

neme Fri 06-Feb-15 19:57:14

Isn't that an Urban Myth? The lone speaker of English in a classroom?

carpetcrawler Fri 06-Feb-15 19:57:43

You think there is no crime and drug taking in quaint little villages up north?

neme Fri 06-Feb-15 19:59:08

Oh, I see you only have £300k. It would buy you the illusion of the good life in Yorkshire, I suppose.....

fluffymouse Fri 06-Feb-15 19:59:48

neme no it's not. If you saw my local school you wouldn't think its a myth.

carpet I don't think it is anything like the same extent as here!

Pipbin Fri 06-Feb-15 20:00:33

To be honest with that budget it's doable in most of the rest of the county.
If both of your jobs are transferable then do it.

But do be aware that if you move to some lovely village somewhere don't expect to be welcomed with open arms. People from areas like that tend to get pissed off at people moving from London and buying houses, pushing the prices up so local can't afford to buy.

I would suggest a small town rather than a village. You might find a village too restricting.

stillwearingaredribbon Fri 06-Feb-15 20:02:25

stay put. Houses prices are going up in the North because of people moving up
Its grim up north hmm

NoArmaniNoPunani Fri 06-Feb-15 20:03:40

Which part of London are you in?

carpetcrawler Fri 06-Feb-15 20:03:49

My Ds went to school with lots of ESL pupils, they spoke better English than him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: