Talk

Advanced search

to be fed up of people saying how good I look (fabulous related)

(78 Posts)
dhdjdbrjrkbr Fri 06-Feb-15 19:07:51

I jest in the title, but seriously I keep getting this a lot as I've turned into an obsesively healthy eater and addicted to exercise in th last year.

Every time I hear it I just hear "you used to look awful but are looking a bit better now". Aibu to think you just shouldn't comment on someone's apearence?

ourglass Fri 06-Feb-15 19:08:31

Aww you poor thing xx

Wombat22 Fri 06-Feb-15 19:09:13

biscuit

TastelesslyDone Fri 06-Feb-15 19:09:28

Yes, YABU

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Fri 06-Feb-15 19:10:15

Well, it's not much of a compliment, is it?

Hey, you no longer look really shit! grin

But they mean well. They're saying you look nice. That's not a bad thing to say. Can you take it and face value, say thanks and be pleased you're healthier now?

When you say obsessive and addicted - do you mean that or is it a turn of phrase? Are you worried about it?

Tubbytimmy Fri 06-Feb-15 19:10:45

Yes definitely that's what they mean

dhdjdbrjrkbr Fri 06-Feb-15 19:10:52

You do understand I was joking in the title and it is actuwly a serious annoyance..

Passmethecrisps Fri 06-Feb-15 19:12:33

I look like utter shite right now and spend my time answering people asking if I am feeling ok.

I agree that a compliment referencing how shit you used to look is poor. Like when people say "wow! You have lost a LOAD of weight"

CuttedUpPear Fri 06-Feb-15 19:13:11

Don't post about it on the Internet if you don't want other people's input.

Tinks42 Fri 06-Feb-15 19:13:18

People say this to me all the time and Ive done jack shite exercise and love my chocolate and chips grin

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Fri 06-Feb-15 19:13:29

Only a bit? After a year

I'm off to go hide my face in the cupboard as that's where the Nutella is

dhdjdbrjrkbr Fri 06-Feb-15 19:14:39

Oh no I'm not worried about it at all, its just taking diet and exersise seriously goes against many people who get defensive and use those words to describe me as I stick to my healthy eating "even on a Friday"

Summerisle1 Fri 06-Feb-15 19:14:57

Comedy Hour returns with tonight's offering by dhdjdbrjrkbr.

Forget organic salt - that was so yesterday - and let us now dwell on the OP's fabulous qualities. Or not, of course...

WitchWay Fri 06-Feb-15 19:15:07

I lost half a stone recently after having a brace put on my teeth - chewing was really difficult at first & I just couldn't eat, so frustrating as I had my usual appetite! I was slim to start with & became skinny haggard and drawn . Only a handful of people thought I was getting too thin - everyone else thought I looked great! hmm

Eating better now & the weight has gone back on, up to my usual 8st 10lb grin

Passmethecrisps Fri 06-Feb-15 19:16:50

Are you the same person as posted recently wondering about eyes glazing over when asked how you had 'done it'?

Lost weight and looked fab. Not shagged

ahbollocks Fri 06-Feb-15 19:17:13

I find my problem is having too nice an arse. It is honestly really peachy and toned and often compared to jlo or beyonce. Trouble is I am well aware I'm moresexuallly attractive from behind.

Passmethecrisps Fri 06-Feb-15 19:18:37

A back beauty bollocks.

Better that than being hideous from 360o

Tinks42 Fri 06-Feb-15 19:18:48

Yeah but how would you feel if no one commented? did you want.... you looked fabulous before but now you look even better. Oh no, wait a minute, you only looked "fabulous" before grin

In saying that I do laugh when someone tells me I look "well" and it does spring to my mind to say, so what did I look "sick" before then.

WitchWay Fri 06-Feb-15 19:19:18

I see your gorgeous arse and raise you my even perfecter one grin

seriously, I do have a fabulous bottom grin

DontKillMyVibe Fri 06-Feb-15 19:20:08

It's funny how different people perceive things. If someone told me I'm looking fabulous I wouldn't think it was a jag that I normally/used to look shite - I'd take it that they just thought I was looking particularly well that day/lately.

And that's coming from someone who struggles a bit with accepting compliments grin

Tinks42 Fri 06-Feb-15 19:20:20

I dont have one, its gone.... did you nick it Witch?

LapsedTwentysomething Fri 06-Feb-15 19:20:54

I hate this. I have an aunt who insists on telling me a look like I've lost weight every time I see her. I invariably haven't. In on particularly barbed compliment she told me that perhaps I looked slimmer because I was wearing more fitted clothes rather than my usual 'bags'. It pisses me off that she's more obsessed with my weight than I am. She also loves to remind us all that she's a size 8. Yawn.

Passmethecrisps Fri 06-Feb-15 19:20:58

True story which reminds me of your witch

I knew a teen girl who was being treated for anorexia. My mum's pal saw her in the street as they were driving past so her illness was discussed with the usual "awful, how worrying" etc until pal pipes up with "but doesn't she look fabulous?

wanttosqueezeyou Fri 06-Feb-15 19:21:17

I know!! If one more person tells me how pretty and funny I am, I'm going to punch them. hmm

Tinks42 Fri 06-Feb-15 19:23:28

grin at wanttosqueeze

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: