Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of CD's and DVD's

(22 Posts)
JustStirItUna Fri 06-Feb-15 16:03:10

We're currently packing up the house to move. Current house has basement, new house doesn't. At the moment, all our DVD's and CD's are stored in the basement out of the way.

The other day we started trying to pack them away and quickly realised we never actually looked at them/watched them/listened to them because all music is on computer (with the exception of our vinyl collection) and most films are either Sky+'d or watched from Amazon/Netflix.

We've decided to get rid of the bulk of them (selling, charity shops etc....) but it's made me feel a bit.....sad. Are we becoming a society who doesn't need to have these physical things anymore (books, films, music) or should we try and stem the tide of digital everything by keeping hold of things we simply don't have room for?

DoJo Fri 06-Feb-15 16:42:30

Why would you? More room for everything else if you can digitise some of your collection? Try living with them all out for a while and you will be glad to see then back of them after a while...

Oh god, I so wish all our CDs ans DVDs were digital - we have piles of the bloody things everywhere <unhelpful> grin

We also have a server full of albums and movies blush

sparechange Fri 06-Feb-15 16:53:16

Ours have all been in a box in the loft since we moved, and netflix and spotify made them redundant.
DH has a deadline to send them to Music Magpie and claw some money back, or else I'm taking the lot to the charity shop. They are just clutter!
(and don't get me started on his records...)

Nomama Fri 06-Feb-15 16:55:09

Oh! We moved... vinyl is all unpacked. DH had to make a new shelving unit for it. CDs, still in the boxes. But I am going through the vinyl to thin it out and will use the empty space for the CDs.

Or we will move again... bigger house this time!

(I can't believe we got rid of so many books... I mean books. I feel so worthless, as though I betrayed very many friends... and still have so many more to brutally let down).

I am trying to join the digital age... OK, I lie, I am not. I love the physicality of a book, will probably never own a kindle. I love the act of choosing a CD, of putting on a record and turning it over... I have a 180G pod too... am digitising the vinyl, but it takes forever! Aaargh!

Put simply, NU, but you have my sympathies.

sockmatcher Fri 06-Feb-15 16:57:08

I couldn't do it. I tried and couldn't.

Spotify wasn't the same.

misskatamari Fri 06-Feb-15 16:58:19

DH is always nagging me to rip all my CDs so we can get rid as they take up so much space (in a box in the basement!). I never listen to them though as use iPhone for listening to music. It does make me a bit sad too though. I remember the excitement of buying a new album and taking it home and listening track by track, which is something that just doesn't happen anymore.

UngratefulMoo Fri 06-Feb-15 16:58:57

I'm desperate to get rid of all our CDs and DVDs. I've spent a fortune on a smart TV, hard drive and Apple TV and haven't had a chance to figure out how to make it all work together yet! Bin 'em and make the space, I say!

BackforGood Fri 06-Feb-15 17:01:36

Just hijacking a bit - do Music Magpie give you enough £ to make it worth while doing this, rather than just taking them to a charity shop? I don't think we have any 'rare' CDs, etc - just lots of popular ones and many, many 'Greatest Hits' type ones.

member Fri 06-Feb-15 17:02:04

I always feel like this at Christmas; somehow giving an iTunes voucher doesn't seem the same as giving a dvd/cd. Or not giving a book because you know the person has an e-reader.

We are mostly digitised. Db otoh has converted his music but retains the original albums as he likes to look at sleevenotes etc.

19lottie82 Fri 06-Feb-15 17:07:48

If you have a smart phone or tablet you can download a music magpie app so you can just scan the barcodes of each cd / dvd, rather than having to enter each one manually.

Music magpie is your best bet, but you won't get a lot, maybe 30p - £1 per CD or DVD, thought the odd one is worth more. They do give you a prepaid address label tho and send a courier to pick up your collection.

suitsyousir Fri 06-Feb-15 17:10:41

I found that music magpie gave pennies for dvds and cds, less than 50p for most of them amd some they didnt even want. if you have hundreds you might make a few quid and the good thing is that they will collect them so you dont waste anything on postage. ebay doesnt allow you to charge p and p on them (or at least whem I tried a few months ago).

That said I like having cds and dvds. much better to pay to have something physical than something that could disappear if apple etc decide to pull the plug, and I say that as a lover of all things techie! smile

HappyAgainOneDay Fri 06-Feb-15 17:12:01

Try Freecycle. Goggle for your local one and sign on thee. You'd be surprised at how quickly you'll get a reply.

I'll advertise something on Freecycle here and will receive an email immediately sometimes. Yes, people will occasionally collect them and sell them on but at least the worry of disposal will have been removed from you.

We chucked away all our cd and dvd cases and just kept the discs in a few big cd storage cases with the respective paper covers. Took up much less room & made then easier to look through if we ever need to put them on a new device.

Trooperslane Fri 06-Feb-15 17:16:00

Yep. Music magpie.

mrsmilkymoo Fri 06-Feb-15 17:17:51

I've done the same as jelly with the CDs. Saves so much space and I couldn't bring myself to get rid of them entirely. Probably should get rid of my cassettes though!

Vastra Fri 06-Feb-15 17:19:40

I've wanted to donate or somehow pass on my CDs for a while, but haven't because I didn't think it was legal to do so while retaining a digital copy. Are there any legal eagles about who can clarify?

BackforGood Fri 06-Feb-15 17:21:27

Thanks lottie and suits smile

Might take me a while as I've only just chucked out a load of cassettes wink

DisappointedOne Fri 06-Feb-15 17:22:02

It's not Vastra. If you have any copies of films or CDs you have to have the originals as well. You can be done for piracy if not (and yes, it does happen).

KneesOfTheBee Fri 06-Feb-15 17:32:15

DH won't get rid of anything. In his "collection", he actually has some of the same songs on vinyl, cassette, CD & his ipod.

Equally, he has some of the same films on video (standard, widescreen , & extended versions), DVD & BluRay - with usually a soundtrack CD to accompany them.

<grinds teeth>

googoodolly Fri 06-Feb-15 17:38:43

I don't own any CD's - chucked them all out when we moved into our current flat as it's just too small to store stuff we don't need. I use Spotify for music now, or rip stuff from YouTube.

I have a few mix CD's in my car as it's an old banger with no iPod connection, but mostly I listen to the radio.

Vastra Fri 06-Feb-15 17:39:44

Many thanks DisappointedOne, good to know.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: