Talk

Advanced search

To ask cleaner to pay for (expensive) lamp she broke?

(29 Posts)
Mobilette Wed 04-Feb-15 23:04:34

New cleaner, 3 weeks in. Overall slapdash, flaky on time, and not that great at cleaning, so I was thinking of calling time. Called me at work to say she'd broken glass lampshade of expensive (- and out of the way) table lamp. Want to sack her even more, but get her to pay for new shade first. AIBU?

CountingThePennies Wed 04-Feb-15 23:06:23

Yanbu

She should have public liability insurance so i would claim on that

Caronaim Wed 04-Feb-15 23:06:27

aren't you insured?

Samcro Wed 04-Feb-15 23:06:37

do you not have insurance?

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 04-Feb-15 23:07:00

Your home insurance should cover this.

CountingThePennies Wed 04-Feb-15 23:08:04

Dont go on your home insurance, as your premiums will go up.

Claim on hers

Nolim Wed 04-Feb-15 23:09:38

If she was hired throug an agency the probably have insurance for these incidents.

TinLizzie Wed 04-Feb-15 23:17:41

If you're paying for a service that is, frankly, rubbish, then you need to do something about it. Regardless of breakages (accidents happen and at least she told you), if she's not up to scratch and you're not willing to sit with her to discuss then you need to replace your staff.

But firstly try telling her where she's going wrong. Not fair otherwise, as I think cleaning seems to be a bit... ambiguous and well, subjective.

I've learnt from lurking here!!

TinLizzie Wed 04-Feb-15 23:18:33

Replace your staff? Where did that come from? blush

hippo123 Wed 04-Feb-15 23:27:02

Is she an agency cleaner? In which case Yanbu. If your just paying someone a bit of cash in hand yabu and you should claim on your household insurance.

Bogeyface Wed 04-Feb-15 23:33:36

YANBU to ask her to leave on the basis of her shoddy work. YABU to expect her to pay for a replacement, I would very much doubt that she can afford to replace it.
Next time use an agency.

GlitterBelle Wed 04-Feb-15 23:44:52

I've had a few cleaners break things - they've all left notes saying sorry, and brought replacements the following weeks without me saying anything. I would expect an offer of the money if it wasn't a replacable item though.

GlitterBelle Wed 04-Feb-15 23:46:24

I would expect the company to be paying though, not the cleaners from their own pockets. The company is insured and state this is the case for if they cause any damage.

StackladysMorphicResonator Thu 05-Feb-15 07:48:25

The cleaner or the company should pay for the lamp.

Don't sack the cleaner until it's paid for though! Perhaps give her a warning - mention the things you're unhappy about and tell her how to improve.

Altinkum Thu 05-Feb-15 07:51:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PtolemysNeedle Thu 05-Feb-15 08:09:30

YANBU, she should have insurance and that's what it's for.

londonrach Thu 05-Feb-15 08:10:45

Tinlizzie grin

BallsforEarrings Thu 05-Feb-15 08:18:41

She will have public liability insurance - however with ours the excess is £250 it is really to cover for greater incidents of liability such as causing fire or knackering a bathroom suite or something. I have just paid out £249.00 for a TV one of our cleaners broke (we are a cleaning company btw!)

Smaller services sometimes have a lower excess of £100 upwards though so it is worth checking out, she should put the £100 towards it and let her insurance pay the rest, or she may wish to pay the lot to avoid losing no claims!

If she was giving sterling service I would think carefully about whether to risk losing her as good cleaners are so hard to find (I should know, takes me months to find a new recruit of quality despite my best efforts so growth is slow for us, we have no choice but to turn away work!) but since she isn't providing any real value for money I would ask her to pay it and get shut of her, you are losing all round staying in this situation!

trice Thu 05-Feb-15 08:20:46

This is why you should use cleaners who have insurance. You can claim through their policy.

If you have used a "cash in hand" type, non professional cleaner you will have to pay yourself.

If your cleaner has a poor attitude to her work, in my experience nothing is going to fix this. You will have to ask her to leave.

I have a fab team of cleaners. They are fast, efficient, careful and reliable and proud of their work. It took me three tries to find them. Good luck.

minibmw2010 Thu 05-Feb-15 09:11:40

Ask her for her insurance details or if she's an agency cleaner, contact them direct.

JoanHickson Thu 05-Feb-15 09:18:12

Oh yes she should claim on her insurance. I agree if she isn't great at her job nothing will help. I knew someone who was dreadful at keeping their own homes clean to my standards who became a cleaner. I sat in shock at her telling me she had no idea why she was needed there wasn't much to do, she lost the job after two weeks.

DialsMavis Thu 05-Feb-15 10:15:05

I'm not sure. She sounds like a crap cleaner, but if I break something at work I am not expected to pay for a replacement

101handbags Thu 05-Feb-15 10:18:43

We use Molly Maid - they have insurance for precisely this kind of thing. Use a cleaner with insurance in future.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 05-Feb-15 10:21:54

Yabu.
Claim on your own accidental damage cover.

NeedABumChange Thu 05-Feb-15 10:26:11

She should pay for it whether through her insurance or from her own pocket. You can't go around smashing other peoples stuff, accident or not.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: