Advanced search

To ask about NI contributions

(14 Posts)
AbsolutelyKnackered Wed 04-Feb-15 13:36:33

If I haven't worked for 10+ years due to being a SAHM should I be making a payment to the Government to bring my NI up to date? I had some communication with them a few years ago and they told me I didn't need to. What do others do please?


RedSoloCup Wed 04-Feb-15 13:37:50

I think I'm right in saying if you get child benefit your contributions are done through that?

HighwayDragon Wed 04-Feb-15 13:37:51

Your child benefit acts as your stamp till your youngest is 10

RedSoloCup Wed 04-Feb-15 13:40:33

Childcare and National Insurance credits

Parents (aged over 16) who receive Child Benefit and are caring for a child under the age of 12 receive National Insurance credits automatically. Those on Carer's Allowance or Income Support also qualify.

RedSoloCup Wed 04-Feb-15 13:41:54

I work 16hours a week but don't earn enough to pay NI, I guess I will have to do something else once my youngest is 12 but I'm hoping to be working much more full time hours by then.

AbsolutelyKnackered Wed 04-Feb-15 13:43:48

I don't get child benefit as my DH is a high earner. I haven't received it since that change came in. I have just gone online where you can request a copy of your NI statement showing any gaps. Hopefully that will do the trick. Thank you for your the replies. This has been on my to do list ... for years!

LineRunner Wed 04-Feb-15 13:45:51

You can and should still register for Child Benefit (and pay it back, effectively) in order to receive your NI credit.

AbsolutelyKnackered Wed 04-Feb-15 13:46:56

Oh really? I didn't know that.

LIZS Wed 04-Feb-15 13:55:57

Yes you can still register for cb then either opt out of receiving payment or have your dh/dp complete a tax return to repay any overpayment.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 04-Feb-15 13:58:30

I stopped work a few years ago confident that I had 30 years NI contributions. The goalposts for a full pension have now been moved to 35 years so I need to find another job.


AbsolutelyKnackered Wed 04-Feb-15 13:58:41

I wonder if I can "back date" that opting out. Thank you LIZS.

LIZS Wed 04-Feb-15 14:07:47

Think claims are backdated 3 months, but maybe you can argue longer for ni purposes.

vinoandbrie Wed 04-Feb-15 14:10:52

Hi Exit, FYI you can buy extra years if you choose to do so. Class 2 or 3 NI. They are much cheaper than class 1 that you pay as an employee as well. From your post, it may be worth your while calling HMRC and asking about this, it's called 'voluntary NI contributions'.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 04-Feb-15 15:13:58

Thanks. I meant to put a winky face. Have no intention of finding a job. <faints at the notion> Dh runs his own business of which I am a nominal employee so will probably do it through that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: