Talk

Advanced search

To be thrilled to little bits

(31 Posts)
ExitPursuedByABear Tue 03-Feb-15 18:28:04

That Harper Lee is publishing a new novel.

ExitPursuedByABear Tue 03-Feb-15 18:28:50

Or that a new Harper Lee novel is being published.

TheRollingCrone Tue 03-Feb-15 18:31:56

Yes isn,t it brilliant news, and Scout will be an adult in this novel.Cannot wait!.

ExitPursuedByABear Tue 03-Feb-15 18:33:14

Whoops. Already two threads in Adult Fiction. But I don't care.

Giddy.

BOFster Tue 03-Feb-15 18:45:57

I've just posted this link in Adult Fiction. Bit worrying really. I hope she's ok.

ExitPursuedByABear Tue 03-Feb-15 18:48:36

Oh dear. That puts a different complexion on things. I dud wonder why now?

Sirzy Tue 03-Feb-15 18:49:22

I have just read that link of BOFs and hope this is all being done with Harper Lees full consent.

But I am still excited to read the book.

frankie80 Tue 03-Feb-15 18:55:03

TKAM is a good book but its not the best book ever.

I was left a bit 'meh' afterwards.

Tobyjugg Tue 03-Feb-15 19:03:14

frankie80 I am SO happy to finally find someone who agrees with my view of TKAM (DW and DD certainly don't!). Have a wine.

tinklykeys Tue 03-Feb-15 19:04:42

To kill a mockingbird is my favourite book of all time! So excited!
Apparently this book was written first, and included flashback segments to scouts childhood. The publishers thought the flashbacks should be the whole book, and so TKAMB was born...

tinklykeys Tue 03-Feb-15 19:07:42

Oh dear just read that article... sad

MUMSNEwT Tue 03-Feb-15 19:32:35

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SolidGoldBrass Tue 03-Feb-15 19:38:36

I must admit when I first saw the news I thought she must have just died. Though I also had thought she died a while ago.
It does sound a bit exploitative.

MUMSNEwT Tue 03-Feb-15 19:44:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CuttedUpPear Tue 03-Feb-15 20:01:11

It was just being discussed on R4 - she wrote the new novel 50 years ago apparently.

CuttedUpPear Tue 03-Feb-15 20:03:34

Oh I see - just read the linked article.

FutureMum Tue 03-Feb-15 20:17:18

Ŵas feeling so happy and now worried. Guess the truth will come out in the end. I love TKAM and feel close to many of the characters, excited about reading the new book.

PacificDogwood Tue 03-Feb-15 21:29:39

'Tis a very odd development hmm

'A gift'? Hm.

TKAM may not be The Best Book Ever but was quite unique at the time it was published and deserves respect for that.

ExitPursuedByABear Tue 03-Feb-15 22:10:30

Gosh. What was said that merited deleting on a thread about Harper Lee? confused

TyrannosaurusBex Tue 03-Feb-15 23:16:02

DH actually rushed upstairs to tell me the news, he was prepared to wake me if necessary. Love that only a birth or death, unexpected snow or hot literary news warrants awakening!

Canyouforgiveher Wed 04-Feb-15 01:09:41

I have no interest in reading a sequel so many decades on written - or not written - by an author who has chosen to only publish only one book for so many years

Time, life, the world, the South, race relations, and the readers of TKAMB have moved on. To kill a mockingbird was so engaging because it was so of its time. It is certainly not of its time now and I would have no hope its sequel would be.

It is of academic interest only.

NormaLeeSane Wed 04-Feb-15 01:20:57

Does anyone remember reading the theory that TKAM was actually written by Truman Capote, HL's good friend? It's certainly in the same vein as Capote's "Buddy" short story series. I think, though, that Capote's massive ego would not have allowed him to keep quiet given the huge popularity of TKAM.

Plonkysaurus Wed 04-Feb-15 10:34:06

I only recently read TKAM (aged 28, to my shame) and loved it. I feel cheated that I didn't get to read it at school, having done Orwell instead. I was very excited to hear there's pre-sequel to the story of Scout Finch, but it does sound like HL may have been exploited sad. I will still devour it, but it's sad that such a shadow has been cast over this.

Canyouforgiveher how on earth can a novel be of academic interest only? What a strange thing to say!

SconeRhymesWithGone Wed 04-Feb-15 13:15:01

That Truman Capote rumor has always really irritated me. It is pretty clear that he did not write TKAM, but she did help him with In Cold Blood.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 04-Feb-15 13:53:06

And then fell out apparently as he didn't give her enough credit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: