Talk

Advanced search

Horrified about chemicals on highchair - aibu?

(40 Posts)
Littleblueowl Tue 03-Feb-15 16:05:40

MIL just used Mr Muscle kitchen spray to wipe down 6 month DS's high chair.
I've got anxiety issues anyway and while I appreciate her cleaning the chair after his food, I am horrified that she has covered his chair in chemicals...

Aibu/pfb?

PartyFops Tue 03-Feb-15 16:07:01

V pfb!

Someone will come and find you a grip very soon.

It's fine, honestly.

SouthernComforts Tue 03-Feb-15 16:07:57

Yes.

MaximumVolume Tue 03-Feb-15 16:08:06

If it's kitchen spray it should be safe!

ColdJerseySpud Tue 03-Feb-15 16:08:49

biscuit have one of these and calm down.

hiddenhome Tue 03-Feb-15 16:08:52

Try Method instead. It's plant based, but works well.

The Mr Muscle won't have done any harm.

NorwaySpruce Tue 03-Feb-15 16:11:38

Of course you are being unreasonable. What do you think will happen?

'Chemicals' is a term rather like 'bugs'. Soapy water is choc full of chemicals, but harmless.

Mr Muscle is only going to be harmful if you let the child drink a bottle of it.

weeblueberry Tue 03-Feb-15 16:11:52

Take the tray off, rinse it with soapy water and pop it back.

Yes it's a little over the top but if you have anxiety issues then I'm sure you recognise that. Try and put it behind you - it won't have caused him any harm. smile

Dawndonnaagain Tue 03-Feb-15 16:12:34

Ds will be fine. As somebody else said, try Method and perhaps some CBT to deal with those anxiety issues.

TheEnduringMoment Tue 03-Feb-15 16:18:40

Ignoring your use of "chemicals shock", which will never win you much respect on here....

It depends - is your DS actually going to chew these surfaces? Is wet food going to be placed directly on the surface that has been cleaned with it?

If so, then I'd agree that you have a point because unlike washing up liquid, Mr Muscle is not designed to be food safe. For the PP who said "it's kitchen spray": my kitchen spray has bleach in it. Personally I'd rinse anything that will be chewed or will have soggy food directly on it with clean water.

caroldecker Tue 03-Feb-15 16:21:20

Method contains, amongst lots of other things, benzisothiazolinone which is a known human immune system toxicant, and also is classified as irritant for skin, eyes and lungs

Littleblueowl Tue 03-Feb-15 16:22:19

What is wrong with using the term chemicals? confused

Yes, spray was used on the tray, and shoulder pads (which DS chews/licks a lot at mealtime!)

EugenedeRastignac Tue 03-Feb-15 16:22:36

We are made from 'chemicals' H20,02, some C there too and more.

You are VPFB

I rather have a MIL who is clean to take care of my children than a dirty one (don't like dirty people).

PotteringAlong Tue 03-Feb-15 16:23:11

Well, the news is full of babies dying after their high chair has been cleaned with a cleaning product designed for that...

Yabu

Dawndonnaagain Tue 03-Feb-15 16:25:31

That would explain dd's allergy to it, Carol. Off to look it up!

McFox Tue 03-Feb-15 16:26:42

I don't think yabu, I would never use that stuff anywhere in my house, let alone on my child's highchair and my mum and mil would know not to do so either!

TheEnduringMoment Tue 03-Feb-15 16:32:38

Well yes, in that case I'd remove the shoulder pads and soak / wash them separately in washing up liquid in the sink. Tell your MIL that your DS chews them and Mr Muscle is obviously not suitable for cleaning anything that's going to go in your mouth - not unless you're going to rinse it very thoroughly which would be impractical. And use plates on the tray,

Pensionerpeep Tue 03-Feb-15 16:38:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

natureplantar101 Tue 03-Feb-15 16:55:37

Eww the smell alone of mr muscle makes me gag that stuff is pure bleach id take the tray off and wash it again in warm water with a few drops of dish soap to wash of any of the residual bleach wipe the straps down the same way he could ingest it not only is it dangerous it'll make him cry when he does lick his straps and gets a mouthful of bleach residue shock and yes most babies do eat direct from the tray so he would be ingesting small amounts of it. YABU and yes your right they are chemicals dangerous ones not designed for food surfaces mr muscle is more for cleaning the cabinets or the hob surface you use hot water and a bit of dish soap to clean food surfaces yes they are also chemicals but mild harmless ones designed to be food safe would you wash your dishes in mr muscle ? hmm

5dogsgoswimming Tue 03-Feb-15 16:56:37

I think that if there was enough of the solution to cause harm then little one would taste it on their food and spit the food out.
I'm no expert but he'd probs have to swallow quite a bit to cause harm.
There'll be a hazard label on the back of the bottle saying what's what with regards to whether it's toxic or not. I suspect it's an irritant

natureplantar101 Tue 03-Feb-15 16:58:21

YANBU i meant to say

LadyLuck10 Tue 03-Feb-15 16:58:23

If you've only noticed it now she's probably done it before and nothing's happened already. Your anxiety is getting the better of you. He will be fine.

suboptimal Tue 03-Feb-15 16:59:33

What?? WHAT???

Dear Jesus.... hmm

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 03-Feb-15 17:01:14

I clean DD's highchair with Mr muscle blush. Always have, she's 15 months now...

sparechange Tue 03-Feb-15 17:10:40

You know his high chair is made from chemicals, right?

I wouldn't pour him a glass of the stuff, but the safety data sheet for Mr Muscle says it won't cause any issues if ingested so I really wouldn't panic about this
Ingestion : Unlikely to be irritant in normal use.
https://www.greenham.com/datasheets/508185.pdf

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: