Talk

Advanced search

to find Cameron's statement about Education funding at best disingenuous?

(11 Posts)
LuluJakey1 Mon 02-Feb-15 22:00:11

It is infact misleading. To say another Conservative government (God the thought!) would not reduce funding for Education is drivel.

I listened to him today with his defences and excuses- ' there will be more children so there will be more money', 'the amount of money perchild will remain the same', 'schools have proved themselves very good at managing budgets' etc.

The truth is that if there are more children they will need more teachers.There are not more children in all areas of the country, particularly not at secondary age range. In the north- east there are falling numbers in secondary schools, which will continue for at least 3 more years.
If the funding does not increase by at least inflation, there is a real terms cut in funding.
The only place schools can save significant amounts of funding is by losing staff. If salaries increase nationally by 1.5 % That is likely to push an average secondary school budget up by £60,000 never mind i flation increases on supplies, rising energy costs. Schools can not find these sums by saving stamps or turning lights off. The only way to save those kind of amounts is to lose staff.
Cut taxes for millionaires and take money from school budgets. Same old Tories.

winewolfhowls Mon 02-Feb-15 22:03:06

As it is there is not even money for glue at our school god help us if there are any more cuts

OddBoots Mon 02-Feb-15 22:10:10

You're right, at least the media seem to be highlighting it though.

tiggytape Mon 02-Feb-15 22:14:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LuluJakey1 Mon 02-Feb-15 22:20:21

I agree Tiggy. I have been a member of the Labour Party since I was old enough to join. However, I have no idea now what any of their policies are. There is not a politician who inspires any trust from me in any party. The best I have heard is Andy Burnham recently on The Today Programme on Radio 4 and I would not say I was overwhelmed by him.
I am morally appalled by the Conservatives. I can not bear Clegg, I would not trust him an inch. And I don't count UKIP as a real party.

LuluJakey1 Mon 02-Feb-15 22:24:51

I have recently written to David Cameron as did all of my Y7 class, telling him what their concerns and questions are, and we got no reply. I also wrote personally 3 times to the general secretary of the Labour Party with my own concerns about Labour policy and had no reply.

In the past Gordon Brown, Tony Blair and Tony Benn have all responded to letters.

ihategeorgeosborne Mon 02-Feb-15 22:31:11

It is very worrying. I have just seen it on the news. Dd1 came home with her homework last week and I had a quick look at it and there was no space to write in her homework book. I asked her if she'd been given a new book and she said they had all been told to go through their books and try and find spaces to write or to attach pieces of paper from home. This is before the cuts! I also notice they have not promised to not cut funding for early years education or education for 16 - 18s either.

tiggytape Mon 02-Feb-15 22:34:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bettyboop1970 Mon 02-Feb-15 22:38:34

As far as I concerned anything this man says is disingenuous!

ihategeorgeosborne Mon 02-Feb-15 22:40:36

Labour are keeping very quiet about what they will do, too quiet in fact. They don't seem to have any ideas. I may have got them wrong and they will pull some amazing rabbits out of the hat in the next few months, but I actually think that they haven't got a clue.

Sallyingforth Mon 02-Feb-15 22:51:18

too quiet in fact
Yes. Even this evening on the news it was "We'll let you know later".
They have had four years in opposition to make up their minds FFS!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: