Talk

Advanced search

To think working 64 hours in a week is too much?

(150 Posts)
happinessisabutterfly Mon 02-Feb-15 07:23:53

Concerned about a good friend who is doing this.

Are there laws against it?

Aibu to think it is too much and worry she'll make herself poorly?

Stealthpolarbear Mon 02-Feb-15 07:26:22

Plenty of people do it
Is there a reason you think your friend cant

Stealthpolarbear Mon 02-Feb-15 07:27:30

That said I wouldn't like that to be my contracted hours

eurochick Mon 02-Feb-15 07:28:08

It isn't ideal but plenty of people do it. I've done that and more at times. Do you have any reason to think your friend won't be able to cope with this?

The law is the Working Time Directive but it is standard in many industries to opt out of this b

happinessisabutterfly Mon 02-Feb-15 07:28:11

It is just an awful lot every week stealth and it means she has very little time 'off' as it were.

Fabulous46 Mon 02-Feb-15 07:31:22

Both DH and I work 70+ hours a week depending on the time of year. Loads of other people do as well it's manageable.

Eva50 Mon 02-Feb-15 07:31:56

I couldn't do it now but I did for the 10 years before we had children. It was fine when I was young and it enabled me to buy the house we live in now.

happinessisabutterfly Mon 02-Feb-15 07:43:02

fabulous - that's almost double a 'normal' working week! What do you do?

I used to do it when working as a manager in the hospitality industry, DP is a head chef and will work more than that every week, probably around 70 hours. Needs must and all that.

bedraggledmumoftwo Mon 02-Feb-15 07:55:16

My dh is contracted to work 35hrs(haha) with a "however many hours to do the job" type clause. Including travel time (not commute, and he largely avoids this by living in hotels) 60 hours is a very good week. 100hours is not unheard of, at which point he literally works through the night.

Its rubbish and he wouldn't keep doing it if there wasn't a very large carrot dangling in front of him.

bedraggledmumoftwo Mon 02-Feb-15 07:57:10

And yes, lots of companies require ask you to opt out of the working time directive. It can be in your interests to do so if you are hourly paid, not so much if you do all the extra for free!

Altinkum Mon 02-Feb-15 08:01:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

happinessisabutterfly Mon 02-Feb-15 08:01:54

Blimey, i must be a lazy slob! I thought around 40 was standard!

Pensionerpeep Mon 02-Feb-15 08:02:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DearGirl Mon 02-Feb-15 08:03:25

As a nanny I work an average of 60 hours with a minimum of 50 and sometimes more.

Meechimoo Mon 02-Feb-15 08:12:11

So if you and your partner both work 70 hours a week, you only see your children at weekend?
Anything over 40 hours a week and work/life balance is fucked.

Annietheacrobat Mon 02-Feb-15 08:14:19

Really depends on what the job involves, whether they enjoy it and what other commitments they have.

Latara Mon 02-Feb-15 08:15:27

Before I got MH problems my normal working week was 37.5 hours so then I'd do overtime, often working up to 60 hours a week.

The pay was good and I was fit enough to do it.

But then I got depression, then I got too caught up in the 'politics' of the workplace, got paranoid etc etc so now I'm only allowed to work 3 days a week!

finallydelurking Mon 02-Feb-15 08:19:15

I would assume fabulous and husband are teachers!

TendonQueen Mon 02-Feb-15 08:19:18

To say that it's 'manageable' is setting the bar low, though. And short term is different from long term. I work over my contracted hours, haven't ever really counted how much, and have just ground to a halt this weekend through sheer tiredness. Plus when you're young you can cope a lot more easily (I'm not anymore)

wobblebobblehat Mon 02-Feb-15 08:19:33

Plenty of saddos people do it.

It's her life. Why are you worrying about it?

jimmycrackcornbutidontcare Mon 02-Feb-15 08:20:00

OP - It is too much. People are prepared to work like dogs now and think that because they do others should do the same. Some people are also quite inefficient with their time and it becomes their norm. I think your friend should speak to their work.

Stealthpolarbear Mon 02-Feb-15 08:22:21

Why dlurking?

happinessisabutterfly Mon 02-Feb-15 08:23:18

Teaching is not a 70 hour week; I'm a teacher. Yes there is work outside of school but I am talking about the time physically spent at work (contracted time.)

I know she can do it and she needs the money but I do think she's tired and since her job involves travelling I worry she may crash (her DD does the same job and had a nasty smash a couple of weeks ago.) It's anti social hours too.

PixieofCatan Mon 02-Feb-15 08:23:31

This is pretty normal for a lot of people. I'm a nanny and a full-time job is easily 50 hours but often more. I work part time due to health issues, but the long days do mean that I'm maximising my income in the three days that I work.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: