Talk

Advanced search

To want to ditch my career?

(48 Posts)
brokenhearted55a Sun 01-Feb-15 22:36:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tapenade70 Sun 01-Feb-15 22:43:38

Go in house? Some people say it's less stressful/long hours though IMO it's the same without the pay and promotion. I'm a SAHM now apart from very part time work doing something fun. But that's only possible because of OH's salary. Depends on how advanced in your career you are. I think it's a waste giving up as a junior lawyer..you put all the hard work in and reap none of the rewards. That said it's even worse if you give up before you get to the top and are quite senior! I did that and regret it. What a waste. Unless you use your salary level to get a big mortgage. Then it's worth it.

brokenhearted55a Sun 01-Feb-15 22:53:19

missorinoco Sun 01-Feb-15 22:58:22

Sunday evening. I'm not a lawyer but get heart sink at yhe thought of Monday again. Set yourself a time frame, and what you want to change. If it's not fixable or doesn't get better after that time, rethink your options.

That's my strategy anyway.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 01-Feb-15 23:00:02

Just as odd as the one last week when an adult daughter was sharing the bed with her mother

And those folk who kiss on the lips

So in other words, odd to me but perfectly normal and non-sexual (obviously) for others

LaurieFairyCake Sun 01-Feb-15 23:00:40

Lol, wrong thread grin

eurochick Sun 01-Feb-15 23:01:15

I know some who have gone in house, some who have gone to clients, and done who gave moved to teaching. I'm still in PP but pretty sick of it. I just can't find anything else that will pay me anything like the same salary for my skills b

Lepaskilf Sun 01-Feb-15 23:02:24

brokenhearted55a Sun 01-Feb-15 23:07:24

rockybalboa Sun 01-Feb-15 23:12:04

Ha, I am jacking in my 15 year legal career in 3 weeks time and have NO plans whatsoever. I must have transferable skills, I'm just not sure what they are yet. I was becoming disillusioned anyway for a number of reasons but the Jackson reforms just tipped me over the edge. Absolute fucking pain in the arse. The law (at least not my area of litigation) is NOT what it was 15 years ago.

tapenade70 Sun 01-Feb-15 23:13:14

Oh don't do it if it's rubbish money! obviously!! Only if it's pretty good money compared to your mates and the earning potential is massive. Then it can be worth doing murderous hours for a few years. Otherwise why would you?

BigPawsBrown Sun 01-Feb-15 23:17:20

Hmm I'm non contentious as hated court deadline stuff; prefer to control my workload or my clients do

Is there a non con side to what you do? Some areas are both, eg employment, probate, property...

Sunday though. All lawyers in the world feel like you today grin

cleanmachine Sun 01-Feb-15 23:22:36

I went in house but it wasn't much difference to pp. I'm now retraining in a totally different job. Lower pay but my dream job. All the skills I learnt as a layette means retraining is a breeze and those around me seem to treat me like an intellectual powerhouse. Having been a lawyer had also penned many doors for me and I'm really confident of getting a good job when i qualify.

Life is to short to be unhappy at work. Don't keep plodding away at it until it makes you ill. That's what I did and it was shit.

cleanmachine Sun 01-Feb-15 23:23:36

Mortified at my spelling and grammar. But I'm in bed and using my shitty phone.

kaymondo Sun 01-Feb-15 23:24:22

I ditched mine - sahm now although I keep my hand in doing some consultancy for my old firm and also do HR stuff for my DH's company (I was an employment lawyer).

Pretty much every female lawyer in her 30's who I know is trying to get out.

Have you thought about teaching the LPC? Uses your legal skills but I a different setting. I know a few people who have done that.

Wellington3 Sun 01-Feb-15 23:27:55

BrokenHearted - I could have written your post, so no bright ideas here. I couldn't bear the stresses of litigation, time sheets etc either so quit 6 months ago. I quit to manage a big household renovation project but that's now finished so I need to got back to work. Hate the thought of going back to law but no idea what else to do. One side of me feels I should "man up" and get back to the job I'm trained to do; the other side thinks sod it - life's too short, I love not waking up in the middle of the night terrified about deadlines. An unhelpful response to your post - sorry!

Tulipblank Sun 01-Feb-15 23:33:01

In house. It's a world away from private practice. If you do any sort of commercial work you should be able to transition quite easily. If it's private client work it may be a little more tricky, but definitely doable. Also depends on your location. We really struggle to recruit in the areas where my company is based and A private client lawyer who showed willing might be able to make it work.

engeika Sun 01-Feb-15 23:40:16

Wellington3 I don't think it is an unhelpful post - quite the opposite. When you know someone feels the same and that they had good reasons for it it makes it easier I think to see things clearly.

OP, you are not mad - and you have had some fairly good advice here. Hope that you make a decision that you are happy with.

brokenhearted55a Mon 02-Feb-15 00:32:42

Tobyjugg Mon 02-Feb-15 00:33:16

Take on a company secretaryship? Or, if employment law is your thing, try HR. Failing that I knew a couple of lawyers who became financial consultants.

BigPawsBrown Mon 02-Feb-15 07:31:00

I hope the Jackson/Mitchell nonsense will settle down soon....

Overcooked Mon 02-Feb-15 07:40:50

I'm with you all too, really not enjoying it at the moment and also feel like I should just 'man up'. I don't know I feel like I would be much happier doing something with less stress but then I wonder if I would miss the money more than I think I would.

Yip, Jackson has finished me off too.

wishiwasacollie Mon 02-Feb-15 07:47:34

In house is not the easy option everyone here seems to think. You have deadlines and all competing and can never plan your day as something always comes up. But i love it as not surrounded by lawyers all day and find it v interesting. Also you dont ime spend your time on your area of expertise you have to jump in and turn ur hand to everything. It is stressful but not in the same way as pp

ocelot41 Mon 02-Feb-15 07:51:01

I have two friends in your position - both chose to retrain as law lecturers. There are many things which are difficult about unis at the moment and making that transition is not easy. But both say it is much more flexible and lower stress ( although less £ too)

Rabbitcar Mon 02-Feb-15 07:59:18

I think I have commented on a similar post of yours before, OP. I work in-house at a regulator in London and love my job. Flexible hours, work from home, if you do a good job you are rewarded and respected, and can work autonomously. No one keeps an eye on what I do but I can seek support if I need it. We work as a team (corny I know) and there's no backbiting etc.

There are deadlines and moments of stress but if you are organised it's manageable. I usually leave at 5.30 though occasionally take work home, but not very often at all.

Of course the pay is less than private practice but I'd never go back. I'd recommend it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: