Talk

Advanced search

To give the DC's cake for breakfast?

(33 Posts)
Roomsdoom Sun 01-Feb-15 21:41:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wintersdawn Sun 01-Feb-15 21:44:15

No go for it, I give mine courgette bread for breakfast when I make it. No different to breakfast muffins plus it's freshly made so no preservatives.

PtolemysNeedle Sun 01-Feb-15 21:44:34

Banana bread is a perfectly acceptable breakfast in this house.

flora717 Sun 01-Feb-15 21:46:01

Stuff it, it's like a croissant or such (Perhaps marginally better).

Charlotte3333 Sun 01-Feb-15 21:46:43

If she thinks that's bad she would despise us; the day after YS' birthday this year we had masses of sugar-filled covered-in-an-inch-of-icing cake left and the boys had that for their breakfast. So long as you offer up a glass of milk to wash it down they'll be grand.

Go for it.

Dutch1e Sun 01-Feb-15 21:46:49

Give them a round slice and call it a muffin. Sounds lovely to me, can I have some for breakfast please?

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 01-Feb-15 21:47:12

Id give it for breakfast. No different to sugary cereals/pastries/breakfast muffins. In fact id say it's better due to being homemade. No issues at all.

meglet Sun 01-Feb-15 21:47:39

yanbu. It's winter, no problem with giving them something filling in the morning.

I've been considering making oaty, banana muffins for the same reason.

Blu Sun 01-Feb-15 21:48:16

Sounds great to me.
Especially with a glass of milk, for example.

Roomsdoom Sun 01-Feb-15 21:49:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CalicoBlue Sun 01-Feb-15 21:49:30

Not a problem at all giving Banana Bread. Would you give them toast and honey and a banana? not much difference.

I have been known to put a chocolate biscuit into my dd's hand as she leaves the house for school, mine don't want breakfast it is always a battle unless I make pancakes and they often don't eat lunch either. I am happy if they eat anything.

ClaudetteWyms Sun 01-Feb-15 21:49:50

YANBU, I thought breakfast was the best meal to eat cake? We had what DD calls a "hotel breakfast" on Saturday - I made madeleines (easy as you can do mix night before and they cook in about 5 mins) then we had bacon/sausages/eggs etc. Oh yum.

Bogeyface Sun 01-Feb-15 21:50:14

Do you know what her kids have for breakfast?

It would be interesting to work out the sugar content in a slice of your banana bread compared to the cereal her kids have!

I think its the idea of "cake" for breakfast, rather than the actual content of the food itself. I think its fine, its homemade so no additives etc, and is probably far more healthy than a brand cereal.

That said, the only thing that would concern me is whether it would be enough to keep them going until lunchtime. I would probably serve a smaller portion of porridge with the bread as "pudding".

SecretSpy Sun 01-Feb-15 21:51:17

oooh madelines recipe please?

MagicMojito Sun 01-Feb-15 21:55:53

Yabu for making me want banana bread.
<begrungenly makes do with banna and nutella on toast> angrygrin

youngestisapyscho Sun 01-Feb-15 21:55:55

I'm grateful if mine eat anything in the morning, would rather they went to school not hungry. Friend was horrified that I let mine have coco pops (OMG chocolate covered cereal is work of the devil!) but a bowl of them is better than nothing!

ClaudetteWyms Sun 01-Feb-15 21:57:59

Madeleines - Michel Roux Jr recipe

I added a squirt of honey and a splash of vanilla as well. Mix made about 35 mini ones. Demolished by two adults and one 7 year old in one sitting blush

Passmethecrisps Sun 01-Feb-15 21:59:55

Banana bread is practically a health food. Probably.

It sounds delicious and very sensible as a breakfast.

PavlovtheCat Sun 01-Feb-15 22:00:16

meglet you now have me wanting oath banana muffins for breakfast. i am going to buy the ingredients first thing, then tuesday morning, will make them early so they are nice and fresh. Mmmm

OP you are so not being unreasonable.

lavenderhoney Sun 01-Feb-15 22:01:31

My dc often have warmed up cake which they dip in their milk. No one likes cereal and I don't buy it.

Your friend is sucking the joy out of a nice breakfast.

Mintyy Sun 01-Feb-15 22:03:23

Have confidence in your own parenting. You don't need to check with a whole load of randoms just because a friend said something a bit off to you. It wouldn't have been an issue 10 years ago.

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 01-Feb-15 22:03:29

They will die immediately unless they have cashew nut butter on avocados.
Tis a mumsnet rule.

Dd has whatever or nothing, I am past caring, shes 13.

sliceofsoup Sun 01-Feb-15 22:04:45

My DCs had leftover (homemade) chocolate birthday cake for breakfast this morning.

I love banana bread. mmm. Think I might "accidentally" buy too many bananas when I do the shopping tomorrow. grin

weeblueberry Sun 01-Feb-15 22:05:28

Sounds good. Toast it - then it's officially a breakfast food wink

spilttheteaagain Sun 01-Feb-15 22:10:21

Banana bread toasted with peanut butter on. Gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: