Talk

Advanced search

to ask how on earth you manage to work when you have kids?

(302 Posts)
whyareallthegoodnicknamestaken Sun 01-Feb-15 20:56:58

Currently just having a look at whats out there in terms of work as i have taken time out to have dc's so have been a SAHM for the past 6 years.
Everyone wants flexible working hours, zero hours contracts, People willing to work weekends..
Dh is away for work quite a lot and works odd hours, I have no one to drop off or pick up dc's from school. Paying for breakfast club and after school club every day isn't cheap..
How on earth do people juggle it? Genuine question. I have no idea how I'm ever going to b a able to get a job.

whattodoowiththeleftoverturkey Sun 01-Feb-15 20:59:16

Its tricky. Could you consider childminding?

LuxuryTrifle Sun 01-Feb-15 21:00:19

We do it with DH full time but compressed (to four days), so one day off; my hours are 0.7 of full time; and basically each handling either morning drop off or afternoon pickup respectively. It's incredibly intricate though. I never knew before how intricate parents' had to plot schedule!

Almost every couple I know has a DH who compresses. That flexible working law is really handy

tobysmum77 Sun 01-Feb-15 21:00:37

Dh equally shares the load. I think trying to do everything yourself and work would be a complete nightmare.

PtolemysNeedle Sun 01-Feb-15 21:01:16

I work in a school.

whyareallthegoodnicknamestaken Sun 01-Feb-15 21:01:21

I could but with both dc's at home would that be allowed? I have done a lot of voluntary work in childcare although I have no formal qualifications.

whyareallthegoodnicknamestaken Sun 01-Feb-15 21:03:01

ptole do you have to drop dc's off early and pick them up late in order to travel to work though?

woowoo22 Sun 01-Feb-15 21:03:19

Most people pay for childcare or arrange their hours around the school day. Especially lone parents.

youbethemummylion Sun 01-Feb-15 21:03:48

I work 9:30 to 13:30 so I manage ok in term time, in the school hols my full wages go on childcare in fact in August I make a loss. There's not many jobs around with those hrs though so I'm clinging onto this job.

MrsMinton Sun 01-Feb-15 21:04:06

School job here too. It fits round them, but I do still have to use wrap around care on some days.

Janethegirl Sun 01-Feb-15 21:04:59

Good child minder or nursery depending on ages of your dc. Worked ok for me tho!

revealall Sun 01-Feb-15 21:05:16

Most of the parents I know who do majority childcare are self employed ( accountants, childminders etc), local council ( flexi hours and lots of policies to help parents) or work in schools.

whyareallthegoodnicknamestaken Sun 01-Feb-15 21:05:19

Dh is hardly ever home to be honest so it would mostly be my responsibility to sort kids out and do school runs. I was quite looking forward to getting back into work but it seems there's nothing suitable for fitting in with kids.

firefly78 Sun 01-Feb-15 21:05:27

i dont manage! its so hard sad

pointythings Sun 01-Feb-15 21:05:37

The cost of before and after school clubs is a major shock if you've never had to pay for childcare before. However, it is worthwhile being back at work - it gives you independence, lets you build up your CV again even if at first your wages only exist to cover the cost of childcare.

BeverleyCrusher Sun 01-Feb-15 21:06:16

We, like most people I know, use wraparound care and holiday clubs.
No it's not cheap.

ASAS Sun 01-Feb-15 21:06:29

I'd also suggest looking into working in a school. If I wasn't where I am now (0.7 WTE, long service annual leave, flexible working) I'd need to be a classroom assistant Etc. I seriously don't know how we manage some days. There is absolutely zero margin for error on my working days.

Bit if a joke really sad

Good luck in your search.

PtolemysNeedle Sun 01-Feb-15 21:09:00

The school I work at wasn't too far away from my dcs primary school, so I was able to drop off at normal start time but then I didn't start until 9.00. I did have to make sure I left at 3.00 sharp to pick up, it worked as my dc were never out until about 3.10 and they were safe waiting a few minutes in the playground for me if they needed to, and some evenings they'd do after school activity clubs anyway.

The pay isn't great, but then I don't have any childcare costs for the holidays, and I get holidays.

It's much easier now they're at secondary!

Writerwannabe83 Sun 01-Feb-15 21:09:41

We have a childminder who has DS from 7am until 5pm three says a week.

She's really lovely, DS is very happy there and it's £35 a day.

GreyjoysAnatomy Sun 01-Feb-15 21:09:48

I both pay for childcare, and work pretty much school hours. I have one at a childminder and 2 in school. I work 9.30-3.30 monday-friday and work 10hrs from home at weekends, occasionally the odd shift outside home at weekends but the dcs stay at grannies those times.

I did this as a single mother and now that I'm married, it's not easy but it works for us. Dh is looking for a new job, he's a chef and would prefer either office type hours or breakfasts as his current situation involves too many late nights and not enough family time wink

Pensionerpeep Sun 01-Feb-15 21:10:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maggiethemagpie Sun 01-Feb-15 21:10:47

My husband is a SAHD whilst I work full time. That's how we manage.

louisejxxx Sun 01-Feb-15 21:11:00

I currently work Sunday - Wednesday each week, and do 20 hours across those days. Mon & Weds are within school hours and dd goes to nursery all day, on Sundays & Tuesday either dh or my mum looks after dcs and my dad does school pick up on a Tues.

It's very complicated, but gets even worse if I'm covering anyone's shift at work!!

yummyeatallthecake Sun 01-Feb-15 21:11:07

Both OH and I work full time with a 1 hour-1 1/2 hour commute each. I do the drop offs and pick ups 3 days a week and oh picks up twice a week. I start and finish 15 minutes earlier to allow me to do that and if there are any major train problems then I'm late. OH leaves work an hour early for those two pick up days.

Most friends I know use flexitime/childminder/other childcare arrangements - I can't see any other way to do it unless you work close by.

tobysmum77 Sun 01-Feb-15 21:11:19

you see wherever dh is I still can't buy its all your responsibility. Children are a joint responsibility. Couples can decide that one partner doesn't work for the good of one's career but the responsibility is then joint.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now