Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why owner/occupiers arent compelled to have gas safety checks.

(29 Posts)
HelenaDove Sat 31-Jan-15 20:55:32

Ive been pondering why this is just recently. Its suppossed to be about safety. So surely the same rules should apply. Tenants have to accomodate it and usually end up being pissed around because of it. landlords can sometimes end up being pissed around too. So if safety is what its REALLY about surely the same rules should apply for every property.

mywholelifeisaheadache Sat 31-Jan-15 20:59:13

Not really.

Landlords have a duty to uphold the state of their property and ensure its habitable and safe to live in and one of those things is that gas safety checks are done. Would you rather die of carbon monoxide poisoning or have your house blow up when you light a candle?

When you own it. The onus is on you to make sure you're safe. If you cba you don't do it.

Caronaim Sat 31-Jan-15 20:59:47

It is part of the responsibility of supplying a home to someone else, that you ensure it is safe for them. Ensuring your own personal safety is not anyone else's business, to anything like the same extent. Having said that, I think most people do get checked every year. Last time we had a safety check our boiler was condemned, and we were without heating and hot water for nearly a year!

Anyway, once a notice has been put on an appliance to say it is dangerous, it is illegal to remove the notice. (As far as I remember, it isn't actually illegal to use the appliance, but you would have to be stupid....)

HelenaDove Sat 31-Jan-15 21:04:09

"If you cba you dont do it"

Even if there are children in the house. What about the ppl living either side of the occupier. The houses that are attached to it.

Caronaim Sat 31-Jan-15 21:06:44

I think most people do do it. You get nagged by the gas board as soon as it is due, and they don't stop nagging until it is done. it often doesn't cost anything, it is covered by our insurance. And if it wasn't done, our insurance would be invalid.

HelenaDove Sat 31-Jan-15 21:10:41

Ah i see.

OurMiracle1106 Sat 31-Jan-15 21:13:03

I think its because if you own it and live in it, its your own safety you are responsible for however if you own it and someone else lives in it its someone else's safety that you are ensuring.

maddening Sat 31-Jan-15 21:13:58

I think particularly in joined properties - flats, terrace and semis - they should be compulsory- a gas explosion or fire does not only impact one property.

HelenaDove Sat 31-Jan-15 21:18:12

Maddening thats what i was thinking.

Caronaim Sat 31-Jan-15 21:29:17

I would never ever miss or delay a gas check. When our boiler was condemned, it looked, sounded and functioned perfectly normally. It was also fairly new. There was no way we could possibly have known something had cracked inside. It was something to do with ice forming on the flu the winter before, I'm not sure exactly.

TooHasty Sat 31-Jan-15 21:35:45

I think most people do do it. You get nagged by the gas board as soon as it is due, and they don't stop nagging until it is done
Bollocks! I have never had, or had anyone ask to do, a gas safety check in 25 years of home ownership (apart from a house we let out, when of course we had to.)
safety checks check for carbon monoxide risk though not gas leaks , so unlikely to impact on a neighbour
We do have a CO detector though.

HelenaDove Sat 31-Jan-15 21:42:12

EXACTLY Too Hasty I dont think its about safety. If it was EVERYONE would be COMPELLED to have it done.
I think its more about certain (not all) heating companies making money out of social housing/private tenants.

Caronaim Sat 31-Jan-15 21:42:35

toohasty, you presumably have your boiler serviced every year?

Caronaim Sat 31-Jan-15 21:43:31

I don't think they make money out of it, helenadove.

HelenaDove Sat 31-Jan-15 21:45:10

Caro a company doing gas safety checks for tenants do because they have won the contract to do so usually after outbidding another company.

PekeandPollicle Sat 31-Jan-15 21:47:11

We don't have the boiler services every year and don't have a cover plan. It isn't a condition of insurance. We do have CO2 monitors on all landings which are tested very regularly along with smoke alarms.

Caronaim Sat 31-Jan-15 21:51:32

I'm shocked, how often do you have your boiler serviced? If not every year.

Caronaim Sat 31-Jan-15 21:53:00

well, it is part of a much bigger contract, helena, at least it is here. They would have a bigger profit without the checks, the checks cost more to do.

PekeandPollicle Sat 31-Jan-15 21:55:23

Probably 18 months - 2 years. The boilers only 2.5 years old and fitted by reliable plumbers who said no point doing it more. In our old flat we had the British Gas cover which was a complete waste of time. A morning waiting in for a check which didn't even take the cover off the boiler.

80sMum Sat 31-Jan-15 21:55:59

I've owned my own home for 37 years and have never had a gas safety check and I certainly have never been "nagged by the gas board" about getting a check done! There is no such thing as the gas board - and hasn't been since the 1970s!

Caronaim Sat 31-Jan-15 22:01:49

well which ever gas board you use, we use scottish gas now, and we have used british gas in the past. So peke, you do have regular checks then.

80s mum, you surely get your boiler serviced, don't you?

HelenaDove Sat 31-Jan-15 22:04:18

Many tenants have spent days waiting in for engineers who dont show up and then ended up with threatening letters accusing them of denying the engineer access.

Caronaim Sat 31-Jan-15 22:08:11

That is an issue with individual employees, not the law or the policy.

80sMum Sat 31-Jan-15 22:12:18

Caronaim yes, we do have the boiler serviced annually. It helps that we have a friendly, local gas engineer who phones to remind me when it's due a service, otherwise I would probably forget!

GreatSoprendo Sat 31-Jan-15 22:18:43

I work in property management and we have to be absolutely 100% on getting all of our properties gas serviced every year to comply with the regulations. The guys who run our servicing division, who are all gas safe registered, told me that none of them would ever waste money getting an annual service on their own home boilers. Instead they all just have a decent carbon monoxide alarm, and pay for repairs as and when they crop up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: