Advanced search

To bleach my hair at home?

(37 Posts)
Lepaskilf Sat 31-Jan-15 20:44:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

321zerobaby Sat 31-Jan-15 20:44:35

Very bad idea.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sat 31-Jan-15 20:46:55

What 321 said. Don't do it. Get it done at the hairdresser and then review whether you think you can do it at home after that.

I'm naturally medium blonde, I get highlifted at the hairdresser and wouldn't ever, ever do it at home, it's just not worth it.

DamnBamboo Sat 31-Jan-15 20:48:03

Home kits nowadays are fine!
Just try it and but ensure you leave time to see a hairdresser that same day, or in the days after!

That and buy a big hat.

ourglass Sat 31-Jan-15 20:48:16

I've done it plenty of times at home and it's never fucked up.

I buy the Jerome Russell stuff from Superdrug.

M27J5M Sat 31-Jan-15 20:51:02

I'm a hair stylist and would advise against it, you can't guarantee how the dark brown will lift out your hair so you could end up pink orange or yellow if it doesn't lift well!

bottleofbeer Sat 31-Jan-15 20:51:07

Dear God, no. Dark brown to blonde needs a professional. If you're going to do it hold your nerve and don't wash it off at the orange stage.

bottleofbeer Sat 31-Jan-15 20:52:49

(There's also a very real possibility it won't lift enough no matter how long you leave it for. Sometimes it needs doing in stages).

Tobyjugg Sat 31-Jan-15 20:54:00

There's an expression from my youth "a suicide blonde" = dyed by her own hand. Don't do it.

OttiliaVonBCup Sat 31-Jan-15 21:00:01

Do you want to go bright orange?
then yes.

AtiaoftheJulii Sat 31-Jan-15 21:08:01

dd did hers at home, from dyed dark brown. Took a couple of goes to get to a nice golden colour (and then she went lighter because she wanted to dye it blue so wanted to get as much yellow out as possible first). Her hair did end up like straw, but I think that was the final bleaching that finally did that, when it was at the yellowy blonde stage it was still in pretty good condition.

Sn00p4d Sat 31-Jan-15 21:09:36

I used colour b4 to strip the dark out then dyed it the colour I wanted. It was fine, and my hair was black. Just have a brown dye on standby incase it all goes to shit

FightOrFlight Sat 31-Jan-15 21:18:14

Another vote here for colour removers (like colour b4) prior to using bleach. It's a lot harder to got from dyed brown to blonde rather than natural brown.

Make sure you have a blue or violet toner ready to get rid of brassy colour especially if you have a natural red tone to your hair.

I've seen some bloody awful blonde colours that have been done by professionals so there's no guarantee it will look good even if you go to the hairdresser.

Condition the fuck out of it once it's bleached!

Re: having a brown dye handy, choose one that has a red base (chestnut etc) as that will help avoid the dreaded khaki shade.

gingerbreadmam Sat 31-Jan-15 21:25:04

if i was going to do it at home i would buy

colour revive from superdrug
jerome russell bleach with maximum lift peroxide
bleachlondon platinum/white toner from boots
some intensve conditioning mask
maybe a loreal highlighting kit the one with the funny comb in. just to use the comb.

i blech mine at home with jerome russell and the loreal comb. my friends all commented lasnite (day after dying) colour is best its ever been.

be warned though it probably will go orangey, this is where the bleach london thing comes in.

also what i have realised is when it looks blonde and ready to come off it needs anothe 10mins or so.

ActionManEyes Sat 31-Jan-15 21:28:33

My friend did this when we were at school. She ended up with bright orange hair with an inch-wide blonde stripe at the roots where the previous dye had grown out.

Tread lightly shock

Hamiltoes Sat 31-Jan-15 21:43:25

I second the "when it looks blonde and ready to come off give it another 10 mins or so". Its like the lotion masks some of the yellowy bits.

I've been from black to blonde to bright red to brown and all over again many times. I always plan it really well, its never a spur of the moment thing, use a week or two before to deep condition the hell out of your hair, sleep with it in if you dont have anywhere to go in the morning.

Then don't wash it for about 3/4 days, the natural oils will act as a defence against the chemicals.

Use a colour stripper, Sallys is a good place to go for Rusk but if you dont have one near you then colour B4 is ok too ime. This should make your hair a strange coppery/ light brown/ golden in the light colour.

If you can live with that for a few days then try your best to. Let the oils build up again.

Then try a bleach, tone, leave a week or two washing as rarely as possible but continue to condition ends, and then do a bleach bath if any further lift is needed.

Koleston by Wella is very good for toning in my opinion, the chart above will give you an idea of the colour you must achieve through bleaching to get the blonde you want.

Then work out what level (0-12) you are and use the book in Sallys to pick a toner that will work with your hair.

When I first started I'd bleach until it was gold (which looked pretty light to me) and then wonder why I couldn't get it to tone a nice baby blonde colour. Its surprising I have any hair left hehe grin

itosh Sat 31-Jan-15 21:45:41

Oh look ump elephants on YouTube or ellebangs. I did it myself.... Was not too good but that lady. Taught me everything and now I love how iT turns out. Also remember ash blondes covered Orange!

itosh Sat 31-Jan-15 21:46:07

Ah not elephants.. That was autocorrect

Lepaskilf Sat 31-Jan-15 21:50:12

Lepaskilf Sat 31-Jan-15 21:53:34

gingerbreadmam Sat 31-Jan-15 21:54:23

i wonder if the bleachlondon thing is a bit similar to a bleachbath, if you look it up on boots there is loads of reviews. it kind of lightens and gets rid of brassiness.

for regular maintenance get a purple shampoo, boyes and savers do one thats very reasonably priced (although the name escapes me) and is really good.

this is a bit of an investment but i use something called moroccanoil which is the brand can be bough on feelunique, you can mix this with colour if i remember rightly and it conditions the hair. its a bit pricey but worth the money in my opinon and lasts ages.

itosh Sat 31-Jan-15 21:54:53

If I could afford to go to the hairdressers I definitely would stick to that option. However when I was 20 I spent over £150 for a hairdresser to turn it orange. It did take me a good while to get the colour I wanted by myself mind

gingerbreadmam Sat 31-Jan-15 21:56:45

if u out bleach on ur scalp it will burn, bad enoughif get it on fingers during application process.

i used superdrug revive before i dont think that one goes as orange. you have to be carefil with the washing out time too as that affects the colour u end up with i think.

Lepaskilf Sat 31-Jan-15 22:17:54

gingerbreadmam Sat 31-Jan-15 22:24:05

google it for clarification but im pretty sure mixing that ith the colou is good for your hair smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: