Talk

Advanced search

AIBU for asking a 2 year old to wait for his mummy?

(25 Posts)
RachelWatts Fri 30-Jan-15 21:35:17

I'd just picked up DS1 from school and was on the way out of school, when the little brother of one of DS1s classmates whizzed past on his scooter.

We were in a passageway, so his mum and big brother were not in sight, and the speed he was going it was perfectly possible he could be round the corner and out of the gate before they appeared, so I called in what was supposed to be a friendly way "You're going to wait for your mummy, aren't you?"

AliceInHinterland Fri 30-Jan-15 21:36:32

YANBU - is there more to this? Did anyone suggest you were?

WorraLiberty Fri 30-Jan-15 21:41:49

confused

usualsuspect333 Fri 30-Jan-15 21:42:46

And?

Gobbolinothewitchscat Fri 30-Jan-15 21:44:16

How unreasinable - you should have allowed him to scoot under a lorry

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 30-Jan-15 21:44:50

And?

that's what most of us do/ would do isn't it?

WorraLiberty Fri 30-Jan-15 21:46:06

Let me guess

Someone else said something and now you're second guessing yourself

indecisiveithink Fri 30-Jan-15 21:46:07

.... well done you're an amazing person

Is that the right answer?

usualsuspect333 Fri 30-Jan-15 21:46:18

Did his mum yorp at you?

usualsuspect333 Fri 30-Jan-15 21:47:17

Did he double back and run you over?

CupidStuntSurvivor Fri 30-Jan-15 21:48:07

Are we only seeing chapter one here?

RachelWatts Fri 30-Jan-15 21:48:59

Sorry posted to soon

She came round the corner and looked a bit pissed off, saying "He's fine. Thank you" to which I replied "Sorry I didn't realise you were so close. I didn't want him to leave without you." She said nothing but rolled her eyes at me.

I'm worried she thinks I was interfering but I reacted on seeing a fast moving small child with no adult in sight.

If DS1 when he was that age or DS2 who is nearly that age got ahead of me I had no idea if they were going to stop as I have bolters.

NormHonal Fri 30-Jan-15 21:49:29

YANBU.

BUT I did this at work a few days ago and got it in the neck from the (presumed) grandmother.

(For the record, I stopped a 2yo from running into a road. Grandmother told me "we come here all the time, he knows where he's going and what he's doing." Hopefully the scathing look I gave her conveyed my contempt.)

FightOrFlight Fri 30-Jan-15 21:49:36

Did he come back and bitchslap you then report you to social services?

bigbluestars Fri 30-Jan-15 21:50:22

A school that allows kids to use scooters in the corridors?

FightOrFlight Fri 30-Jan-15 21:51:09

Oh, just seen your update OP

< disappointed at the lack of drama >

RachelWatts Fri 30-Jan-15 21:51:35

Passageways are outdoors.

Not sure why some people are being so rude.

suboptimal Fri 30-Jan-15 21:52:22

Oh well. Live to fight another day eh?

GokTwo Fri 30-Jan-15 21:52:30

Yanbu. I hate it when people respond like that when you are clearly trying to help. What if she hadn't been aware and he had had an accident?

usualsuspect333 Fri 30-Jan-15 21:52:43

Bit of a non event really.

Don't give it another thought.

DixieNormas Fri 30-Jan-15 21:53:58

I sometimes stop an almost two year old from going out the passage way at nursery, so do other parents if she manages to get away from her mum who has a 3 year old and baby to deal with too

LadyLuck10 Fri 30-Jan-15 21:54:54

Surely you can judge this for yourself op?

Hassled Fri 30-Jan-15 21:56:26

On my walk to work I routinely pass the bottom of a hill which seems to be peak "toddlers on scooters going like bats out of hell towards quite a busy street" zone. I have often stopped them and told them to wait for mummy (as opposed to onwards into the traffic or around the corner where mummy has no chance of seeing them). I don't care if their parents have a problem, although they never have done - I know I would care if I did nothing and something bad happened.

applejacksauntie Sat 31-Jan-15 15:44:24

I had this the other day. I stopped a little girl (no more than 3) running towards the road which was busy with school pick up traffic. I acted on instinct but got told by the mum to mind my own effing business. Upset me at the time.

BadlyBehavedShoppingTrolley Thu 26-Nov-15 03:50:10

I may well have done the same thing as you - when you see a small child going somewhere apparently alone, an automatic instinct kicks in. If I'd have been the mother coming around the corner I'd have smiled and thanked you, or said 'don't worry, I'm here!' in a friendly way.

I don't understand why some people feel the need to be so bloody stroppy and defensive over things like this, her eye rolling was rude.

And it never ceases to amaze me how many people don't watch their small children properly and let them wander too far while they are engrossed in something else or are afar too laid back and trusting about having them well out of easy grabbing reach in what are potentially quite high risk environments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now