Advanced search

To hate this trend for hanging televisions on the wall.

(239 Posts)
Lagoonablue Fri 30-Jan-15 20:08:28

Especially when it is on the party wall in the fucking bedroom and we have to listen to the NND watching crap at night.

It is the worst idea ever IMO. Looks terrible and is highly anti -social.

End of rant.

wanderingcloud Fri 30-Jan-15 20:12:01

It's great for putting TV well out of the toddlers reach though! grin

But aesthetically, I'm in agreement with you. So YANBU!

wowfudge Fri 30-Jan-15 20:14:16

I agree - so many people have massive TVs hung high up on the wall. They must watch TV at such weird angles because so often they're not in very big rooms either.

Caronaim Fri 30-Jan-15 20:16:16

hate to be a harbinger of doom, but actually falling tvs have killed a fair number of toddlers, wanderingcloud

MrsTawdry Fri 30-Jan-15 20:17:27

Caronaim but so have the ones that toddlers pull down...I'd wager more have had accidents from pulling them down than them falling off walls. The wall mounted ones are a new thing.

Tinkerball Fri 30-Jan-15 20:17:48

We have ours on the living room wall and its fine, room less cluttered to and don't think there's anything wrong with how it looks in our room.

Lagoonablue Fri 30-Jan-15 20:18:41

Is it on a party wall though? If it is I bet your neighbours aren't as keen!

pictish Fri 30-Jan-15 20:18:51

I think it's especially weird when it's mounted above the fireplace.

Shakey1500 Fri 30-Jan-15 20:19:16

Ours is on the wall in the lounge and looks fabulous dhalink smile

Wires buried in the wall, tis a floating entertainment marvel. It's like being at the flicks <chucks popcorn>

Caronaim Fri 30-Jan-15 20:19:22

yes, it is the size of the tvs these days that makes them dangerous to toddlers, I quite agree, MrsTawdy. And the high centre of gravity. Heavy TVs that fall easily, both free standing and wall mounted can be potentially lethal.

pregnantpause Fri 30-Jan-15 20:20:53

Yanbu. Since getting a bigger flat TV every other guest asks whether we're going to take it off the perfectly good TV stand and hang it over the fireplace. 1 it would be too high. Neck craning isn't good. 2 what would go on the TV stand? 3 it becomes a looming monolith that dominates the room.

DoJo Fri 30-Jan-15 20:20:55

I can understand that putting one on a party wall isn't particularly neighbourly, but I don't really see how having a tv on a wall looks worse than having a tv balanced on a stand or piece of furniture? Or it the aesthetic objection really just an extension of the fury at having to listen to your neighbour's choice of television programme? grin

ScrambledEggAndToast Fri 30-Jan-15 20:24:33

Hate it too, looks awful and like something out of 1984. Big brother is watching you!!

bigbluestars Fri 30-Jan-15 20:31:32

Looks horrible- like an altar to media, it dominates and dictates.
Seems to replace a fireplace.
I have my TV at one far end of the lounge, with furniture for those that want to watch- sofas at the other end for chatting and reading.

PickleSarnie Fri 30-Jan-15 20:31:37

Ours is on our wall. It's actually more discreet there than it would be on a stand. Living rooms would be much nicer looking without TVs at all but I like my TV. Means I don't have to listen to other people chomp popcorn.

Our house is detached so I don't have to consider neighbours though.

Depends on the room IMO, ok for small ones in kitchens etc, generally I don't like them wall mounted in living rooms, especially in period homes and especially over fireplaces, but the space saving benefits make it worth it I guess.

UKSky Fri 30-Jan-15 20:33:35

They're brilliant grin

We can watch our neighbours' tv who live across the street smile

PickleSarnie Fri 30-Jan-15 20:33:35

Ours isn't over the fireplace though. I think pictures and mirrors only live there.

guiltynetter Fri 30-Jan-15 20:34:15

YANBU. I hate them. not classy in your front room. especially when they're huge and any nosy bugger who walks past can see whatever you're watching. yuck.

AwfulBeryl Fri 30-Jan-15 20:37:42

Ours is above our fireplace, there isn't really another wall for it to go on as we have a higgledy piggledy Victorian house with doors and windows on practically every wall.
I like it, it's out of the way but situated in a spot where everyone can see it comfortabley.

OttiliaVonBCup Fri 30-Jan-15 20:38:07

No, TVs don't belong on the wall.

I have art and mirrors there.

Sparklingbrook Fri 30-Jan-15 20:38:18

I wouldn't like one on the wall. I don't think they look great especially with trailing wires.

My Nan used to have the TV in a cabinet and open the doors to watch it. Lovely. smile

AwfulBeryl Fri 30-Jan-15 20:42:50

I agree with a pp that it doesn't look any uglier than having it on a stand, not that a tv on a stand bothers me in anyway.

OddBoots Fri 30-Jan-15 20:45:37

It's the way the speakers are designed that makes them un-neighbourly - they point backwards and depend on reflecting off the wall back at you.

PickleSarnie Fri 30-Jan-15 20:54:08

But you don't need trailing wires sparkling, ours are built into the wall. And the ugly sky box is under the stairs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now