Advanced search

to attempt to negotiate a better salary in the face of redundancy.

(19 Posts)
MrsDiesel Fri 30-Jan-15 16:15:16

When I returned after Mat leave a couple if years ago my role changed and I started taking on more responsibility. Despite this my job title didn't change and although I had a raise it wasn't the going rate for the job I am actually doing.

Now 2 years later our dept is being restructured. Basically we are all 'at risk' and there are x amount of jobs for our team to apply for.

2 of the jobs are advertised as the role I have been doing (not the role of my job title) so if I got it, on paper it would be a promotion in terms of job grade. In reality it would be the same job I am actually doing. There are four possible candidates for the job.

Would I be unreasonable to apply for the job but negotiate a salary appropriate for that role rather than take my lower salary with me?

Worst case scenario I would be made redundant which could easily happen anyway.

Of the four possible candidates one is doing the job and has that job title and pay to go with it.
One is me.
One is someone who has that level of seniority mostly by time served and is only 3 years off retirement so could be considering taking voluntary anyway.
The fourth holds the title and pay but had the role removed and given to me after she lacked the motivation required. She was promoted into the role while I was on mat leave the first time but didn't fulfil the expectation so was transferred to another section of the team after 4 years but never 'demoted'.

Floggingmolly Fri 30-Jan-15 16:18:13

Won't the increased salary go with the role as a matter of course? Why would you "bring your salary with you" for a different role, even if you have been doing it unofficially to date?

MrsDiesel Fri 30-Jan-15 16:24:08

That's what I thought but when I asked the question they said they hadn't thought about that but the successful people would probably just keep the salary they are on. I think they have forgotten that I am officially an X and not a Y.

Sallyingforth Fri 30-Jan-15 17:50:24

This is a shitty situation that happens too often these days.

Would I be unreasonable to apply for the job but negotiate a salary appropriate for that role rather than take my lower salary with me?

That's what I would do. Wait until you are formally offered the job, and then point out the pay discrepancy. If you are the preferred candidate they would be foolish to take an inferior person just to save the salary difference.
(But some employers are foolish - that's the risk you take)!

MrsDiesel Fri 30-Jan-15 18:05:24

Thanks Sally, would you wait until offered the job or mention it at the interview stage?

If I am offered the job and they decline to increase my salary, would I still be able to take redundancy or would I have to take the role?

pinkdelight Fri 30-Jan-15 18:09:34

Heavens, don't mention it at interview. 100% definitely wait till they offer it you, then you have some bargaining power.

MrsDiesel Fri 30-Jan-15 18:19:47

Will they offer it in a normal way, will it just be like any other job where they say you have been successful and I will have a new contract or will our existing contracts just continue?

FishWithABicycle Fri 30-Jan-15 18:42:14

I would think that if they offer to keep you on in your existing role and salary and you turn it down, you won't qualify for redundancy pay.

You'll only be in a strong negotiating position if you can also secure an alternate job offer - then you can easily walk away if they don't raise your salary. Generally you can only negotiate better terms if there's some kind of alternative that's less attractive.

It's probably a good idea to job hunt anyway in case they choose one of the others. It would be nice to trust that they'll choose the best person for the job (i.e. obviously you) but you can't be sure.

So get that CV polished ASAP.

MrsDiesel Fri 30-Jan-15 19:18:02

Fish it wouldn't be my current role as I am an Accounts Assistant and this job is for an Assistant Accountant. Which sound the same but salary wise there is a difference.

I am definitely working on my CV this weekend though.

Floggingmolly Fri 30-Jan-15 20:09:32

They're not the same role, and there should definitely be a salary difference. Good luck flowers

fredfredgeorgejnr Fri 30-Jan-15 20:30:36

Of course you should negotiate and redundancy is an excellent time to do it (because of the ease of leaving if they decline)

MrsDiesel Fri 30-Jan-15 20:42:36

Great, I feel more confident about negotiating now, (if I am offered the job). I didn't know if it was improper being redundancy time and people losing their jobs to cut costs etc.

Sallyingforth Fri 30-Jan-15 22:37:03

From what you say about the others, you are in a good position. Good luck with the interview!

MillionToOneChances Fri 30-Jan-15 23:18:54

Have you done any exams? Might be a good time to register for ACCA or AAT to aid the application/negotiations/job hunt...?

MrsDiesel Fri 30-Jan-15 23:24:14

Thanks Sally

I have done the AAT but dont have the time to devote to chartered studies at the moment. Single mum of three with no family support at all.

MrsDiesel Mon 02-Feb-15 17:42:24

Well three people have volunteered for redundancy, two of them being candidates for this role so it looks like me and the other candidate will get the jobs by default.

Would it still be reasonable to ask for a salad to match the role?

Mrscog Mon 02-Feb-15 17:58:55

Yes definitely in case it's been overlooked, or they know but they're trying to get away with it. So often people don't ask, you might not get the exact result you want straight away but it opens the gates for discussion for the future etc.

Sallyingforth Tue 03-Feb-15 17:57:22

Yes MrsDiesel of course you should ask for the salary to match the role.

MrsDiesel Tue 03-Feb-15 18:34:00

I have asked the question. I just pointed it out to my current manager and she said I had a fair point and she would ask the question.

Fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now