Talk

Advanced search

there should be more help for people that need gluten free foods

(230 Posts)
boomingrosemary2 Fri 30-Jan-15 13:12:25

I have celiac disease so I can't have bread, cakes or pasta. The cost of the free from foods is sometimes 500% more! I get a free prescription for bread and pasta but sometimes I fancy a cake or something. Just looked at some small cakes, similar size but the normal one was 50p the free from was 2.49!

Aibu to think we should get more help with these?

ghostyslovesheep Fri 30-Jan-15 13:14:08

cakes aren't really essential - can you make your own cakes?

Likeaninjanow Fri 30-Jan-15 13:15:55

But where would you draw the line? My ds has multiple food allergies, but is ok with gluten. He gets nothing on prescription!

formerbabe Fri 30-Jan-15 13:17:49

Yabu. ..The nhs does not have a bottomless pit of money.

BarbarianMum Fri 30-Jan-15 13:19:09

YAB mostly U I think (coeliac here too).

Help with the cost of bread (£3.00 for a small loaf) would be nice if you are on a low income, or have several coeliacs in one family but the secret is to:
1. Eat less substitutes and more naturally gf staples (rice, potatoes etc)
2. Learn to bake

Marynary Fri 30-Jan-15 13:22:10

No I don't think that the NHS should provide you with cake as well as bread and pasta. Cake isn't essential and if you want it you can easily make your own. There are plenty of gluten free cake recipes on the internet.

OstentatiousBreastfeeder Fri 30-Jan-15 13:24:50

The mark-up is astronomical. My DD is anaphylactic to milk and eggs, but it's easier for me to make things from scratch with those allergies than it would be for someone avoiding gluten.

I think with the way things are it's a miracle you get anything on prescription.

I breastfeed DD so I don't get prescription formula, but parents of other milk allergic babies have to fight tooth and nail, then appeal to get theirs. Doctors don't like prescribing it due to cost. Essential formula!!

But rant away. It's really fucking shit and I totally feel for you thanks

noblegiraffe Fri 30-Jan-15 13:25:07

I'm impressed that you get a free prescription for bread and pasta.

You're also lucky there's a wide range of free-from foods available to buy. There used to be fuck-all.

boomingrosemary2 Fri 30-Jan-15 13:25:36

Tbh I'm OK myself with baking, but what about people that don't have the skills or an oven? It does seem unfair that the NHS is not allowing them a little bit of cake.

BarbarianMum Fri 30-Jan-15 13:25:58

<<I'm impressed that you get a free prescription for bread and pasta.>>

You don't in lots of areas, including mine.

noblegiraffe Fri 30-Jan-15 13:27:13

The NHS spends a lot of time and money telling people not to eat cake.

God, if they gave out cake prescriptions, the Daily Mail would find someone with a prescription who was obese and have a field day.

Aridane Fri 30-Jan-15 13:27:21

But cake isn't essential - just a nice (if unnecessary) to have.

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Fri 30-Jan-15 13:27:59

Juvela do a multi-purpose flour that's available on prescription. If you give the gp the pip code they can add it for you. I find that easy to bake with.
xanthan gum is also available on prescription.
they used to do biscuits but don't now. (much to my children's disgust because I am rubbish at baking biscuits - although my flour free peanut butter cookies are actually really nice. basically peanut butter, sugar and egg whites. It's hard to go wrong)

if you use the white flour mix and a bit of gluten free baking powder you can make a good cake. Loaf cakes turn out better than normal sponges and I find that if I add a bit more butter and an extra egg yolk then it turns out better.

formerbabe Fri 30-Jan-15 13:28:05

The nhs is a health service not a bakery.

Artandco Fri 30-Jan-15 13:28:07

Why? You don't have to eat those thing.

My DS just doesn't eat bread/pasta/ cakes etc

We don't buy the gluten free version. We just cook with potatoes/ rice/ meat/ fish/ fruit/ veg/ dairy instead

Most gluten free versions of gluten containing stuff are full of crap fillers

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Fri 30-Jan-15 13:29:06

there are plenty of gf sweet treats that don't cost more. Cake is not essential.

Stinkle Fri 30-Jan-15 13:29:16

My DD is coeliac and I wouldn't have said I've noticed a massive increase in our shopping bill.

I pretty much cook everything from scratch and don't eat lots of things that would contain gluten anyway, so stuff like shepherds pies, chilli, etc. I buy GF pasta, but none of the other GF products and make cakes, bread, etc myself with GF flour.

The flour is more expensive than normal flour, but nowhere near the price of a pack of GF cakes.

We get a prescription for the bread but DD hates it so I bought a bread maker and make GF bread, pizza dough, etc for a fraction of the cost of GF bread/pizza.

We all tend to eat the same so I don't have to worry about contamination of making lots of different dinners, so I make pastry for pies with GF flour, GF suet and flour for dumplings in a stew

The flour, suet, etc, can be more expensive but nothing like the cost of "Free-From" type stuff

LadyLuck10 Fri 30-Jan-15 13:29:27

Some people really think the NHS is. Bottomless pit. Where do you draw the line, there will always be someone with some issue wanting something and feel entitled to it.

lljkk Fri 30-Jan-15 13:30:16

Nobody needs to eat bread, pasta or cake. confused
Veg, fruit, potatoes, meat, fish, oils, chocolate, sweets, maize, oats...

lotsofbooks Fri 30-Jan-15 13:30:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilove Fri 30-Jan-15 13:31:23

You can get far more than bread and pasta on prescription - I get pzza bases, cereal, lasagne sheets, gnocci, xantham gum, flour, bread rolls, cheese crackers to name just a few.

All GP's can prescribe if you are medically diagnosed

Dowser Fri 30-Jan-15 13:31:30

I'm gluten free. I don't get a prescription for it. I don't eat bread, pasta or cake.

If I want something sweet I eat chocolate or very, very occasionally bake something myself.

McFox Fri 30-Jan-15 13:31:45

Cake in prescription, really?! And I say this as someone who can get prescription bread and pasta but I choose not to, because they are full of crap. Just don't eat it and learn to make your own less disgusting treats.

lotsofbooks Fri 30-Jan-15 13:31:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OstentatiousBreastfeeder Fri 30-Jan-15 13:33:37

Cake is a luxury though, whichever way you spin it. There just isn't the money available.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now