Advanced search

Report landlord for income tax evasion anonymously?

(25 Posts)
PoptyDing Fri 30-Jan-15 12:04:46

Until recently I was renting a room in a house owned by a 'friend' although I no longer consider her that.

She has a huge sense of entitlement, living off 'daddy's money' and delayed giving us back our damage deposit for weeks after we moved out until we really pressed her for it. The house was bought mortgage-free and she's spent next to nothing on maintenance. It has also come to my attention she's not been paying any income tax on the rental income - so our rent was basically her pocket money without her taking any responsibility.

I am now considering reporting her for income tax evasion, does anyone have experience of how to do this anonymously? Do you think she'd know it was us? I have found this info about tax requirements but nothing about reporting someone:

She took zero responsibility for maintance issues and I did a huge amount of work trying to make the house habitable. Just to give you some idea, issues included;

* Central heating didn't extend to the attic bedroom or living room

* She ignored an ongoing damp problem until huge amounts of work needed doing, then ignored again when it turned out not to have been resolved.

* Our 'living room' was actually her bedroom and she dropped in perhaps two or three times a year, treated the place like a hotel e.g. leaving mess, nicking our food out of the fridge, bringing friends home at 2am and using it as a base to party rather than seeing it as our home.

* When I moved in I painted the walls and floor of the bedroom at my own expense; cleared up majorly e.g. chucking knee deep builders rubble out of a room where work had been done; clearing the yard of builders' rubbish; removing a 3 piece suite and piano from the room which was literally falling apart and doing so much to make it a nice room.

* She came up one weekend supposedly to damp proof the loft (something she instigated) - went in and found the light didn't work, instead of changing the lightbulb (when I offered one) she completely dropped the whole idea and just had a little 'holiday' using the house as her free accommodation.

* She upped our rent and stopped paying bills that had previously been included, for no apparent reason and without warning. In doing this she left us cut off from internet at significant inconvenience - rather than negotiating it and letting us put the internet account into our names.

* She promised to refurb the kitchen for the entire time I lived there, and refused to fit a lock to the back door because this refurb was going to be done. She never did the refurb and I fitted a lock at my own expense as didn't want to live in a house without a lock.

* Being so disorganised with household bills from periods when she and other tenants had lived there, that we ended up paying hundreds of pounds because the alternative was getting taken to court.

Bailey101 Fri 30-Jan-15 12:08:18

How much rent did you pay and were a lodger or tenant?

Bailey101 Fri 30-Jan-15 12:09:12

Sorry, should have clarified that if you were a lodgerand paid below £364 a month, she doesn't have to declare it.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 30-Jan-15 12:10:17

Did she also have a bedroom in the house?

If so then you were only a lodger and she can make £4800 something tax free from renting out a room

HereIAm20 Fri 30-Jan-15 12:11:08

As you rented a room in her house rather than had a tenancy the link you put does not relate to her. There are different rules relating to renting a room/having a lodger and depending on what you paid she may not be liable to tax. How do you know what she has declared on her tax return? As her lodger you didn't have to do the work you refer to and of course you could have moved.

To me it sounds as though you are p***ed off with her and want to get your own back.

Viviennemary Fri 30-Jan-15 12:11:53

If you were a lodger then as others have said she is entitled to have the rent tax free up to a certain amount. It depends on how much you paid rent.

DeanKoontz Fri 30-Jan-15 12:16:16

I think I read your other post about the deposit. I think HereIam is right. You should just cut all ties and move on.

concretekitten Fri 30-Jan-15 12:22:47

As the others have said, the income tax laws are different when renting a room.

What I don't get though, is why you lived there if it was as bad as you make out?

And why are you so angry at her? Yeh she was a bit of a shit landlord, but you were just renting a room off a friend, not a house off a landlord. You weren't happy about certain aspects of the arrangement but it's over with now, forget it.

fredfredgeorgejnr Fri 30-Jan-15 12:29:00

"she dropped in perhaps two or three times a year"
"She came up one weekend"

That's not a primary home as described... So the rent a room scheme would not apply.

I does depend how much you were paying.

fredfredgeorgejnr Fri 30-Jan-15 12:31:00

It sounds more like an HMO, in which case if making life difficult for the shite landlord is the aim, then the council will likely cause more hassle - the actual cost of the HMO obligations may well be higher than the tax.

cozietoesie Fri 30-Jan-15 12:41:54

Are you sure she actually owns the place? Of the people I know who have bought property for children to live in (generally at University with the rent to others being their support) not one has actually transferred title.

specialsubject Fri 30-Jan-15 12:44:12

how do you know she wasn't paying tax?

why did you spend money on a property you didn't own?
why did you accept the rent increase?
why didn't you leave a lot earlier?

FryOneFatManic Fri 30-Jan-15 12:45:25

The rent a room scheme is in relation to a primary place of residence, isn't it.

OP's friend sounds like she lives somewhere else, so the rent a room thing wouldn't apply, would it?

sparechange Fri 30-Jan-15 12:46:56

When you say she is living off daddy's money, does that mean she didn't have a job?
Because the personal allowance is £10k per year, so you don't need to pay tax below that, plus you can make another £4250 from renting a room in your house.
The rest of your complaints sound like annoying flatmate behavior rather than anything criminal.

Wantsunshine Fri 30-Jan-15 12:47:05

You probably should have left earlier but I understand that sometimes you can't just get together a new deposit to move. Yes, why not report if she has been paying tax then it won't be an issue. If she hasn't then they probably wouldn't ever find out if tenants don't report them.
If she hasn't paid tax she should have made an effort to be a better landlord!

Marynary Fri 30-Jan-15 12:48:43

Regardless of whether this house is her primary residence, if she genuinely "lives off daddy's money" and doesn't earn her own money then she probably doesn't have to pay tax on the rent anyway (assuming the amount you paid her wasn't over the tax threshold).

Jackie0 Fri 30-Jan-15 12:58:03

Leave it.
Any grievances you had ought to have been addressed at the time.
There is nothing to be gained by your attempt at revenge.
Let it go, live your life and be glad this is all behind you.
Lots of us have nightmare stories from house share days and yours don't sound all that bad.

TranmereRover Fri 30-Jan-15 12:59:18

how on earth would you know what someone else puts in a tax return?

Anewmeanewname Fri 30-Jan-15 13:06:49

You sound rather jealous & bitter, tbh...

DayLillie Fri 30-Jan-15 13:18:14

You seem to have put up with this far too long and this is probably why you feel so bad now.

You will need to check that she does actually own it (Land Registry site, £4) and not Daddy or Daddy's cover firm etc. People's tax affairs can be very convoluted and it is amazing what they get away with, all legal. So council, HMO, as above is probably a better bet. Does it have smoke alarms etc?

Whether you do it or not, you need to walk away and chalk it up to experience. You will know when to abandon ship earlier another time wink

Kvetch15 Fri 30-Jan-15 14:16:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsFlorrick Fri 30-Jan-15 14:35:03

She sounds like a nightmare LL but you have no proof of tax evasion.

I think you've done well to cut your losses and move out and terminate "friendship".

Don't go out for revenge. Rise above it.

If you were lodgers then she most likely hasn't evaded tax as others say. Besides you don't know what her other income if any is.

Just rise above it. I realise it must feel bitter to have been lining the pockets of a crap LL. But do focus on moving forward. Perhaps buying your own place? It's all in the past.

MildDrPepperAddiction Fri 30-Jan-15 17:23:48

I remember your other thread. You sound quite vindictive.

jenpab Mon 21-Mar-16 02:53:18

how to report a landlord not paying tax

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now