Talk

Advanced search

To ask on here how much I should offer?

(23 Posts)
MsFeckIt Thu 29-Jan-15 09:53:43

At risk of outing myself, I Am a tenant living in a recently flooded house (which is all being dealt with, so far so good) but I have asked a friend to borrow her tumble drier to dry my washing as I have no Central heating and a shit load of sopping wet towels. I've told her I'm paying for her electricity (and I'm not arguing about it!) but I don't know how much to offer as I don't have a tumble drier and have never had one. How much per load of washing? I'm not trying to get out of paying too much, I desperately don't want her to not be out of pocket and I literally haven't a clue.

Apologies for posting in AIBU, but I couldn't work out where else to post and I need to know later today.
Cheers!

MrsTawdry Thu 29-Jan-15 10:05:35

Offer her a fiver a week. Or if she likes wine, just deliver her a bottle a week.

Kachan Thu 29-Jan-15 10:18:18

I mean if you really want to get into calculating it precisely you would need to know the kW rating of the tumble drier and how much she pays per unit of electricity. It probably isn't as much as you might think. Probably between 50p-£1 per hour of use.

MsFeckIt Thu 29-Jan-15 10:18:44

Thanks Tawdry, but I was thinking more of a cost per load, as it shouldn't go on for too long but I may need quite a few loads in a short space of time.

MsFeckIt Thu 29-Jan-15 10:20:32

Thanks Kachan, that is definitely cheaper than I thought! I'll make sure I cover a bit extra for the inconvenience too. She's saving me a load of hassle with laundrettes which I just don't have time for at the moment!

MrsTawdry Thu 29-Jan-15 10:21:24

It will be awkward if you do it per load as you will be giving her coins each time. No more than a pound. I have a drier and an electricity metre so I reckon a pound or less per load.

MrsTawdry Thu 29-Jan-15 10:22:15

If she gets all embarrased about taking a pound, when you take your first load round, bring her one of those tins for saving pounds in...say "This is to say thank you and drop your first pound in then keep putting a pound in when you go.

cailindana Thu 29-Jan-15 10:22:38

Give her wine. She's a friend, she wants to help you. It can be very irritating when a friend tries to keep everything "official" and calculate how much everyone "owes" etc. Show your appreciation, give her gifts, but don't get into hours and costs - part of being a friend is knowing how to accept help.

RaspberryRuffle Thu 29-Jan-15 10:24:40

Here's a very old thread
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/credit_crunch/a1582989-Cost-of-using-a-tumble-dryer

I don't know, if you want to err on the side of caution give her a pound per load and if you can afford it a box of chocolates...maybe see what local launderettes charge and give a small portion of that as they would be quite a bit more expensive.

MsFeckIt Thu 29-Jan-15 10:24:46

Oh I had that sorted smile plan was to just add it up then give her some money in an envelope and if she refuses I'll buy her Supermarket vouchers instead that she can use to lower her food cost. I'll reckon on a pound per load and round it up to the nearest fiver, does that sound fair? I haven't used tumbles since I was a student! Arghhhh if this was summer if just hang the lot out sad

MsVestibule Thu 29-Jan-15 10:26:26

One website I've checked says a 2400 watt tumble drier (presume that's average) costs 37p per hour to run. I would just see how often you use it, then give her the money at the end. I know this is none of my business, but if your friend really, really doesn't want the money, just graciously accept it as a gift smile. There's nothing more awkward than friends saying 'I insist', 'No, really, I don't want it', 'Honestly, I must pay', 'Really, no' etc, etc.

RaspberryRuffle Thu 29-Jan-15 10:27:22

Cailindana has a point too, if your friend says she doesn't want money and it's not a problem for her financially just get her a gift.
If that's not the case and you are paying her I would probably count how many loads you do and pay at teh end instead of giving her a coin each time.

MrsTawdry Thu 29-Jan-15 10:28:31

Oh I think vouchers are a very good idea MrsFeck.

SparklyTwinkleGlitter Thu 29-Jan-15 10:31:26

A generic gift is a lovely gesture if you know the person isn't struggling financially, otherwise a tin and coins is much more useful.

Only give wine if you think she'll appreciate it. I don't drink and so many people just proffer bottles without thinking, even those who know we don't drink.
I don't really mind but would much rather have a nice box of chocolates or flowers instead of booze.

MsFeckIt Thu 29-Jan-15 10:31:36

Thanks ruffles and vest smile
Weirdly I thought tumble driers cost a LOT more than this!!!! I mean a LOT!!! I suppose it's a cumulative effect isn't it? 40p or so isn't much, but on a constant basis that's a hell of a lot on a monthly bill...

MsFeckIt Thu 29-Jan-15 10:32:43

Ps it would be a problem financially sad otherwise I'd just offer money then
Swiftly move on with wine etc

MidniteScribbler Thu 29-Jan-15 10:35:56

If she really doesn't want it, then she may genuinely not mind. I wouldn't take any money from you in those circumstances. When the floods hit here, I was one of the few 'dry' properties in our area as I was on top of the hill. My washing machines worked round the clock for a few weeks washing for everyone, and no way would I accept payment. I got some bottles of wine, some flowers, some chocolates, but expected nothing. It's just what people do for each other in a crisis.

MsFeckIt Thu 29-Jan-15 10:48:59

Thanks Midnight. It's people like you and my friend (and others that have offered help and support!) that make situations like this bearable!

florentina1 Thu 29-Jan-15 11:25:22

We have an electric cost meter. If we use the tumble dryer for 2 full loads then that day it is about £1 extra .

ILovePud Thu 29-Jan-15 11:28:26

That's kind of your friend to offer and kind of you to be considering the costs to her too, I hope you get the house sorted soon flowers.

florentina1 Thu 29-Jan-15 11:29:28

I have an electricity costing meter. On the days we use the tumble dryer 2 washing machine loads costs just over £1.

MsFeckIt Thu 29-Jan-15 11:52:47

Thanks all! And thanks for your kind wishes, hopefully all this will be back to normal before too long!

Kachan Thu 29-Jan-15 16:16:03

* .. don't get into hours and costs - part of being a friend is knowing how to accept help*

I think this is right.

My friends and I tend to show appreciation for modes favours with a small gift or a round in the pub and also, obviously, reassurance that whenever they need a similar favour in return they only have to ask and it will be done.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: