Talk

Advanced search

To not give dd any more money

(27 Posts)
Itsgoingtoreindeer Thu 29-Jan-15 07:24:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NorwaySpruce Thu 29-Jan-15 07:25:59

It's just a cold, chewing gum is not a necessity grin

I wouldn't give her any more money. How old is she?

Itsgoingtoreindeer Thu 29-Jan-15 07:30:40

betweenmarchandmay Thu 29-Jan-15 07:31:05

How old is she? If secondary age £6 isn't a lot. I'm sympathetic to your low income but not so much to the 'she blows it' line. It's quite easy to blow money if you have less than £1 a day!

Itsgoingtoreindeer Thu 29-Jan-15 07:33:45

Perfectlypurple Thu 29-Jan-15 07:36:39

I think that if you can't blow money on crap when you are a kid then when can you. Although I wouldn't be buying the airwaves chewing gum. If she has spent her pocket money how she wants she can't complain when she doesnt have enough for something else she wants. Maybe this will be a lesson in keeping some money back rather than spending it all in one go.

jackydanny Thu 29-Jan-15 07:38:17

My 11 year old gets a tenner.
I give her opportunities to work for more. Can you do this?
I'm sure she can tidy/vacuum with a cold?

TheFirstOfHerName Thu 29-Jan-15 07:39:00

In secondary school, my children get £1 per year of age per month, so an 11 year old gets £11 per month.

£6 in two days is a lot to spend on sweets/crisps/soft drinks.

jackydanny Thu 29-Jan-15 07:39:21

Oh, I see she has more spending money than you. Don't buy.

GutsyMcMuffin Thu 29-Jan-15 07:41:04

Don't spend any more. I've just increased my dc's pocket money from £5 to £10 per week and the oldest is 15 and it taught them to be careful with money. At 11 there's not too much that she wants to spend it in but over the next few years she'll want to go out more and she'll learn that wasting it on crap won't get her very far. also you don't want to get into a situation where your dd is having a more luxurious lifestyle than you, funded by you its not a good dynamic.

bigTillyMint Thu 29-Jan-15 07:41:19

DS is nearly 14 and gets £4 a week, so I do not think you are being stingy! I pay for his phone and we pay for his sport and train travel as necessary. I buy any medicine/tissues needed, including cough sweets, but not loads and loads. Luckily the DC don't often get ill!
He has a school dinner and raids the cupboards, but doesn't buy himself crap unless he is out with his mates (only maybe once a week as he plays a lot of football and doesn't have much free time) so he has enough to do what he wants saved up IYSWIM.

I think your DD needs to start learning to manage her money. IIRC, DS did blow his pocket money a bit when he was that age - first taste of freedom, but soon realised that when it was gone, it was gonewink

FayKorgasm Thu 29-Jan-15 07:41:45

If you can't afford it,you can't afford it. Lack of chewing gum is not going to kill her.
I think £6 is enough for an 11 year old.

daisychicken Thu 29-Jan-15 07:42:06

It's more than my secondary age son gets (12) - he gets no pocket money because we haven't the spare money and I know he's not the only secondary age child not to have money.

Chewing gum isn't needed for a cold.. so no, I wouldn't be subbing unless she pays you back when she gets her next weeks money.

I would say its a good lesson in learning not to spend every penny, even if she saves just £1 a week - that's £4/month etc and would cover 'emergency' chewing gum!

betweenmarchandmay Thu 29-Jan-15 07:42:55

I think if you can't afford it, or it would leave you without, you can't afford it and 'no dd - sorry, just haven't got the cash spare," will do her no harm whatsoever.

However, by that same token, I think pretending that she can 'save' copious amounts from less than £1 a day is mean, therefore making out it's her own fault she can't afford the chewing gum.

It's crap to us conceded but less than £1 a day amounts to maybe a bar of chocolate a day. When I was 11 I liked buying magazines, pens and pencils, Body Shop stuff and sweets.

The Rockefeller she ain't!

MinceSpy Thu 29-Jan-15 07:50:12

So she gets £6 per week, money for breakfast club, mobile phone paid for and plenty of treats indoors. She needs to learn budgeting and if you can't afford anymore then she has to manage. I wouldn't buy a pack of gum a day cold or no cold.

Could she earn more doing chores or have breakfast at home?

Itsgoingtoreindeer Thu 29-Jan-15 07:52:25

Itsgoingtoreindeer Thu 29-Jan-15 07:56:41

MinceSpy Thu 29-Jan-15 08:07:39

Sounds like a good plan but she will need a lot of support learning how to budget.

MrTumblesBavarianFanbase Thu 29-Jan-15 08:17:49

£6 a week at 11 is plenty given you pay for all her needs and most of her wants. She doesn't need a bar of chocolate a day, especially as you have treat food she is allowed at home. £6 sounds to me like a good amount to allow her the choice of blowing it, but "when it's gone, it's gone" or saving it/ some of it. There is nothing she needs to pay for, so she has choices...

My eldest is 9 and gets €4 - when she's 11 she'll get €6 as we give them €1 per school year (year of age would be a ridiculous amount per week unless they had to pay for certain things - when it's only for sweets and tat any pocket money is a bonus IMO!)

MrTumblesBavarianFanbase Thu 29-Jan-15 08:21:44

I never buy my kids chewing gum and my poor year 1 son has to save up for 2 weeks to buy himself any grin (only not really because he has €60 in his money box...) I have never before heard anyone claim chewing gum is necessary if you have a cold grin

expatinscotland Thu 29-Jan-15 08:23:53

YANBU

Fairylea Thu 29-Jan-15 08:24:51

£6 a week just for extras at 11 is lots! We are on a low income and dd 11 doesn't even get pocket money every week. We just can't afford it. I do however top up her phone £5 a month) and if she wants a treat from the supermarket I add it to the food list and she generally gets it. I buy new clothes as and when I have money to. If she wants to go out with friends I see what money I have and she might get £5.

Theas18 Thu 29-Jan-15 08:30:31

Wow a pound a day fritter money? that's loads . Mu uni kids don't have £1/day just to spend on anything they like...

GnomeDePlume Thu 29-Jan-15 08:56:39

Itsgoingtoreindeer how about setting up a bank account for your DD and asking the GPs to pay her pocket money into that? They could set up a standing order to pay it weekly.

We found that a bank account controlled the urge to fritter.

MillionToOneChances Thu 29-Jan-15 09:24:01

£6 a week for extras is loads! I definitely wouldn't give her more (the mobile top-up money etc) until she's proven she can manage the money she has. My kids (10 and 12) get £10 a month pocket money paid into their bank accounts - the vast majority of which they save - and £5-8 for mobile top up/contract.

I'm just about to give a pocket money pay rise to £20/month to the DC turning 13. At 14 I plan to hand over control of the clothes budget.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: