Talk

Advanced search

To HATE the Ergo?

(13 Posts)
MonstersIncq Thu 29-Jan-15 06:02:28

I wanted one so much as had my youngest permanently in a sling for a while and my back was killing me. We couldn't really afford it but saved up as have heard from literally everyone how amazing it is and comfortable etc. I think I just must be doing it wrong. I find it tricky to get on and SO uncomfortable. Baby always seems lopsided and uncomfortable. I can't seem to get the straps right.

So please help me, I so want to love it. IS there a knack? Does it just take some getting used to?

CrohnicallyCold Thu 29-Jan-15 06:17:53

Your best bet is to join a sling related group on Facebook and post a picture asking for tips. Or go to a sling meet.

But I'm afraid some carriers just don't suit certain people, you might be better off with a different brand.

Notmymonkeys Thu 29-Jan-15 06:21:39

How old is your baby? Neither of mine were comfortable in ssc's like the ergo until about 5/6 months. Until then I just used wraps. Is there a sling library or meet near you?

CalleighDoodle Thu 29-Jan-15 06:24:06

If your baby is young s/he needs to be in the newnorn insert inside the ergo. I had my 3 yr old in mine last week!

MouseInTheSkirting Thu 29-Jan-15 06:25:42

I've got one that I've started using with my newborn. You need the newborn insert if you've got a littlie. This cocoons her and she's not able to loll around and it's very comfy.

icklekid Thu 29-Jan-15 06:26:27

If you want to sell it I would love one but can't afford new!

Midori1999 Thu 29-Jan-15 06:28:30

You do need an insert for younger or smaller babies. You also need to keep adjusting it until you find it comfortable. It took me a while with mine.

BertieBotts Thu 29-Jan-15 06:32:51

There is a knack, look for a local sling group. You can't come close to having it shownin person. (youtube videos can help).

But also, the ergo's popularity is inflated due to the brand being well known. There are other ssc carriers which are more supportive, easy to use, etc. It's just that on an average forum people tend to have heard of and/or used an ergo more often than other brands so it gets more reviews.

The other thing to think of would be where did you buy it? There are quite a lot of fakes for sale online, on eBay etc and private sites (including one which looks like an official site) and if you've got a fake that won't be as easy to use.

How old is your baby and are you wanting to wear front or back?

Iggly Thu 29-Jan-15 06:33:34

Do you have the insert?

Iggly Thu 29-Jan-15 06:35:47

(I actually got the manduca which is similar but requires no insert. It took some fiddling to get it right for dd when she was a newborn)

QueenTilly Thu 29-Jan-15 06:53:40

Another vote for the manduca.

Figuringitout Thu 29-Jan-15 06:59:54

Agree with the pps; definitely depends on how old your child is and therefore if you need an insert. I had a Moby wrap when mine was 0-6m and then used the Ergo. I love mine. I do find it comfortable and like how simple and quick it is (in comparison to a wrap)
A sling group would be a good idea - they will help you with alternative positioning and will also have a range of other brands/styles you could try. From about 9m I carried my daughter in the Ergo but on my hip as she could then be a nosy as she liked!
However, everyone is different and maybe it's just not the one for you. It is expensive because of the brand, but equally you will get a decent price for it if you sell it on..

BertieBotts Thu 29-Jan-15 15:26:55

I would say try with the one you have with some real life help.

If you really can't get on with it, ebay or trade it for another kind. They do hold their value.

If you have inadvertently bought a fake you may be able to get your money back.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: