Talk

Advanced search

To want to stop breastfeeding now

(6 Posts)
alteredbeast Wed 28-Jan-15 17:59:02

Breastfeeding dc3, now nine months. I breastfed my older two until they were 12 and 13 months respectively.

I've enjoyed it on the whole but I get to this stage and I look forward to my body being completely mine again and the freedom of baby not needing fed by me.

Yet it seems now that breastfeeding until 2 and beyond is the norm and here I am feeling guilty for wanting to stop soon!

betweenmarchandmay Wed 28-Jan-15 18:02:31

Stop when YOU are ready - I'd say the same to somebody feeding a 4 year old smile I stopped at seven months because I wanted dd to have the health benefits, but I never enjoyed breast feeding particularly and always found it mildly uncomfortable!

TarkaTheOtter Wed 28-Jan-15 18:04:28

Stop when you want. Think the "norm" is to not feed past one week.

Having said that, I found nine months tough with both mine. By ten months they had both dropped a lot of feeds and it felt less burdensome.

JuanFernandezTitTyrant Wed 28-Jan-15 18:05:33

Absolutely stop if you want to. You've done the bit that might make any kind of difference. Personally, I feel the benefits are over-egged for babies in the western world but that's another story. I completely understand where you're coming from - I bf DS until 13 months and I was desperate to stop after about 6 months.

anothernumberone Wed 28-Jan-15 18:07:29

I fed one for one week, one for two weeks and one for 2.5 years. What is normal? Do what is right for you and your family. I gave up 3 times with number 3 but it turned out I was too lazy to give up so he gave up but I definitely know what you mean about wanting your body back.

Dutch1e Wed 28-Jan-15 18:21:29

Agree that 9 months brings out the breastfeeding demon, and I say that as a longtime bf'er. But honestly, despite all the good support on mn for those who feel the sting of criticism for still bf'ing, I really doubt anyone will throw you to the wolves for stopping now!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: