Talk

Advanced search

Nappy cakes? Really?

(41 Posts)
Crumblevision Wed 28-Jan-15 17:40:37

First post in AIBU. Just for the record.

So a colleague will be going on maternity leave imminently. Another colleague is insisting that we get pregnant colleague a nappy cake (with the money from the collection). I loathe and detest them. They look hideous. I would prefer to spend the money on clothes/small toys for the baby. I cannot see the appeal of a nappy cake. However I know this may not be what Mum to be wants (I don't know her opinion of nappy cakes). AIBU?

FlipFlippingFlippers Wed 28-Jan-15 17:41:57

Yanbu they are soooo tacky. I know someone who "makes" them and I really hope she doesn't give me one when baby arrives.

Heels99 Wed 28-Jan-15 17:42:43

Yanbu. They were a novelty years ago but old hat now. You can easily make one yourself but at the end of the day it's a load of nappies! I wouldn't want one!

magpieginglebells Wed 28-Jan-15 17:43:16

They are tacky but nappies are a very useful gift.

QueQuesto Wed 28-Jan-15 17:43:59

Put it to a vote among everyone who contributed to the collection, majority wins. Be prepared to shop for the present yourself if your idea wins though.

bettyboop1970 Wed 28-Jan-15 17:46:52

The idea of that sounds hideous!!!! Get her some mothercare vouchers.

FATEdestiny Wed 28-Jan-15 17:47:45

I had one.

87 completely useless items.

1 useful item - some pampers nappies. All of the rest of the stuff was never used. Don't know how much it cost, but a tenner on a pack of nappies would have been a much better idea.

AlfAlf Wed 28-Jan-15 17:48:18

Not a fan either, although don't they usually contain a few clothes and toys as well as nappies?

I used to get a lovely bouquet delivered from all dh's colleagues (I'm self employed so no colleagues to club together for me!).

Most useful of all would probably be a gift voucher.

Panzee Wed 28-Jan-15 17:50:15

Boots vouchers by far the most useful IMO.

Mammanat222 Wed 28-Jan-15 17:50:23

Loathe them..... the nappies are usually cheap and shit as well.

Put it to a vote

Rabbishes Wed 28-Jan-15 17:50:39

I got one from work as a maternity leaving gift and it was great. They made it themselves. It had three tiers of three different sized nappies, two baby blankets and a comfort blanket toy (one wrapped around each tier as the 'icing'), toiletries tucked inside the layers for me and baby, sleepsuits and vests tucked into the layers, a teddy bear 'cake topper' and some bars of chocolate for me.

I found it really thoughtful that they'd made it themselves and it seemed much nicer than wrapping g all of those items individually. Everything in it got used and was much appreciated.

QueQuesto Wed 28-Jan-15 17:56:04

I will sound like an ungrateful cow here but I'd much rather have had a nappy cake from work than the flowers and massive helium balloon they sent when DD was born. At least nappies are practical, what did I want with a bloody balloon.

PuppetPeppa Wed 28-Jan-15 18:05:38

I had a lovely nappy cake. Useful and the blanket from it was the warmest we owned.

FlipFlippingFlippers Wed 28-Jan-15 18:07:20

I'd of loved flowers or balloons when I gave birth. Both times I got nothing for me, stupid bloody babies got everything! wink

fluffyraggies Wed 28-Jan-15 18:27:40

I had no idea what a nappy cake was till i read this thread. I thought it was going to be like a vagina cake.

WishUponAStar88 Wed 28-Jan-15 18:48:28

Haha me too fluffy

diddl Wed 28-Jan-15 18:52:23

Pleas tell me that I'm not the only one to think that it was a cake made to look like a nappy, rather than nappies made to look like a cake!blush

Seems a complete waste to me tbh, unless it contains other stuff.

QueQuesto Wed 28-Jan-15 18:59:50

It usually has vests/blankets wrapped round to keep it together, and little things like dummies, bibs, teethers to decorate. And you can use the nappies on the baby when you unfold it all.

Crumblevision Wed 28-Jan-15 19:03:59

I get what you are saying Rabbishes but I would rather give all those things in a basket not all ponced up in cellophane and shit. I also get that nappies are practical but I really don't want to spend the bulk of the collection on bloody nappies! If I am forced to partake in such a monstrous task, I will insist on buying all the innards myself. At least I know what the Mum to be likes to eat.

Crumblevision Wed 28-Jan-15 19:04:55

I will put it to the vote at work too.

usualsuspect333 Wed 28-Jan-15 19:06:55

I think they are great.

You sound a bit snooty.

Babiecakes11 Wed 28-Jan-15 19:09:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Babiecakes11 Wed 28-Jan-15 19:09:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Crumblevision Wed 28-Jan-15 19:46:07

Do I Usual? I genuinely don't mean to be snooty.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Wed 28-Jan-15 19:48:55

Can you eat any of the 'cake', or is it all nappies?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: