Talk

Advanced search

Weird call to nursery about DS

(7 Posts)
WorkingBling Wed 28-Jan-15 14:11:55

The office staff at DS nursery today spoke to DH about a call they'd had from someone - they weren't sure themselves who this man was but he said he was calling from something linked to our local council - to ask if DS is getting any extra "external support". I haven't spoken to DH about it properly as he left a voicemail at work or the school yet so I'm not sure of the exact details but is it possible this was linked to his school application? He was under speech therapy but was discharged in October last year so I wondered if possibly when they type his name into the system they get that notification popping up?

I feel quite cross that if they have questions they didn't call us. And I'm also raging if the school spoke to this man who they admit they had never heard of or couldn't get clarification on where he was calling from or why. I'll be taking that up with the school separately as it's just not on in my opinion.

But my antenna are up. And I am broadly speaking the least paranoid parent ever. AIBU?

Quitelikely Wed 28-Jan-15 14:23:26

I don't see the harm. They asked your dh verbally.

Maybe the guy couldn't get hold of you or dh?

Don't sweat the small stuff!?

Marcipex Wed 28-Jan-15 15:43:14

Why couldn't they get clarification of who the caller was?
What reputable organisation doesn't identify itself?

SummerHouse Wed 28-Jan-15 15:55:47

My son's speech therapist allegedly called nursery and spoke to the SENCo. The therapist told me that the SENCo was not even aware of the speech issue so she saw this as a positive thing. Weird I thought as nursery raised it with me in the first place. Turns out the therapist had called the wrong nursery and managed to have a chat about another boy entirely! So perhaps its just a mix up.

ohbollocks2u Wed 28-Jan-15 16:00:26

Did the nursery give out any personal information ?

WorkingBling Wed 28-Jan-15 16:45:59

I've spoken to them and they have clarified slightly - DH thinks that the woman who spoke with him probably got a bollocking from the assistant manager who was in the room at the time but remained silent. He felt "vibes" from her though and certainly when I called back a bit later, it was a much more sensible conversation.

They didn't get all the details as it turned out that someone just took a message and the office manager, who spoke with DH, hadn't herself spoken with the person who rang.

They assure us they have given no details re DS to this person.

They are apparently trying to call this person back to get clarification on who he is and why he is asking but have again confirmed that they will not be passing along any details re DS until they know more.

The person claims to be an educational psychologist for the county. So could be linked to his speech delay and school application but seems a bit strange. Hopefully nursery will call me back soon to clarify details.

Overall though, I now feel more confident that they will not give out any random information which is a big relief.

WorkingBling Wed 28-Jan-15 16:52:13

I've also looked up the team online and it looks legit but it's not clear how or when a child is referred to them although it is clear that this team works more through schools than parents. However, I'd have thought that the parents would at least be informed of such intervention....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: